1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to start wearing sandels n socks

Discussion in 'Brag Forum' started by timmyg, Oct 6, 2016.

1. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

12 months ago I formally started working towards my BSAC First Class Diver. Project Plan last November (pass), Practical Exam in July (8x merits and 4x passes; overall grade merit) and Theory Exam last Saturday.

My new posting has been extremely busy so I went into the 2 exams with virtually no revision and I hadn't attended any of the prep events, basically less than ideal.

I received an email today, I somehow managed to blag a pass on my theory exam so I'm now FCD #975!

I will write each segment up for those who are interested in all things BSACy. The first is short but can be found here. I've 4 or 5 more blogs backed up so the rest will have to wait for a few months.

I've now registered for National Instructor, but first, start prepping for my talk/workshop at the NEC Show. I'll be representing TDI on the TekDeck stage on both days. If you're there please say hi (and try not to heckle).

TG

(Still in shock)

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

A very well done, that's a serious level of work and commitment to get and a hurdle that has to be jumped to get NI.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Congratulations to you for joining a small but elite group of, dare one say, great divers.

Guess who's buying the drinks at Eurotek!

4. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Well done Tim! x

5. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I remember reading a write up on the FCD process, and it looks like a serious amount of hard work. Well done Tim!

6. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Good effort - well done

7. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you for the kind words. I think I may have made it all sound a bit buckshee; tipped up on both exams and passed. I assure you it is not. And that was not my intention. But work is work, possible more so in the forces.

On my practical exam there were 5 of us. The other 4 had planned and prepped together after meeting on a prep event 6 months prior. They had carried that through to other prep events and arrived 36hrs prior to the exam to prep onsite. I arrived 30 minutes late *shame* as an outsider. I don't know all the results but I know at least 3 of them failed.

On the theory exam, at my location there were 2 others. Both full time diving instructors. Both had failed the theory before, and one had failed the practical. I'm not sure if they've had their results back. I think mine was a priority to see if I could get my FCD awarded at the show/awards night. And it is.

I remember a comment that @Becky said on another thread about looking up to GUE instructors that trained her as she is progressing up that instructor ladder. I think I'm doing the same. The boss of the practical exam (not my examiner) taught me to dive OC & CCR, and took me on my IFC. Now I'm an FCD and my first NI event is in 3 weeks time. Mark Powell has been an instructor on some of my diver and instructor level courses. At the show I'm sharing a stage with him at the NEC show (so to speak). Do I rate myself as good as them? No. Obviously. But I'm possibly better than I think/thought. Hmmm. NI will be a real challenge.

Anyway, EuroTEK tomorrow........

TG

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Do you think your 'eclectic' dive experience helped you in the FCD practicals and exams? Is it fair to say that some agencies have higher standards than others and that being exposed to these standards early gives you a haigher standard of 'good'?

Have fun tonight:)

Diveuk likes this.
  9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Well done - as a newbie, it is good to hear that instructor training is so rigorous.

10. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Well done Timmy. As an NI do you get gold buckles on those sandals?

11. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

So you're now the equivalent of a PADI MSD?

12. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Damn my spelling & grammar is crap when I'm tired.

TG

13. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done Tim, a lot of hard work there

15. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Superb stuff, well done Tim! x

16. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Congratulations Tim.... nice to see you're still so enthused and that the hard work and dedication has paid off..... good luck for your continued success!

timmyg likes this.
  17. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Finally finished my write ups.
    Part 1.
    Part 2.
    Part 3.

If anyone is thinking of going for it in the future, please get in touch. I'll happily help out where I can.

TG

Doomanic likes this.
  18. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Bump

Thought I'd not start a new thread, but add to my original. Found out today I also passed my NI exam from back in July.

How the hell did that happen?!?

TG

Tribal Chestnut and Dale Martin like this.
  19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hard work and experience?

Well done

20. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Well done. Can appreciate the work involved as I creep towards finishing my OWI.