1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of diving Lundy?

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Alex Denny, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Hi all - you might have seen this elsewhere but I put together a half hour video about considerations when planning a dive trip to Lundy which I hope you think is helpful / interesting or at least has a pretty seal video in it:

Stay safe!! (And see you back in the water soon)

Suffolkmatireland and NickPicks like this.
  2. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Lundy was one of those places that was on my radar. Thank you for all that information.

Alex Denny likes this.
  3. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

No problem. Be sure to share some pics!

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Dreaming of getting back in the water. Getting really hacked off with prison life under our home-made fascist regime.

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So am I. It is made worse my seeing it every time I look out of the window and have the endless reminders from facebook memories.
    Having seen reports on the lung damage caused by the virus I feel the inconvenience is better than the alternative.

Put this article through Google translate and see if you feel the same https://www.rainews.it/tgr/tagesschau/articoli/2020/04/tag-Coronavirus-Lungeschaden-Forschung-Uniklinik-Innsbruck-6708e11e-28dc-4843-a760-e7f926ace61c.html

6. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

7. John F

John F Active Member

I did four dives there last year from ilfracombe, I have to say I find it hard to know what all the fuss is about. I dive Cornwall a lot and find that much better.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  8. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Agreed. Some folk go for the seals (not me). There are plenty of more accessible places with similar flora and fauna (e.g. Chesil Cove) and you are allow to take them home.

John F likes this.
  9. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Agreed, it's nasty. The one good thing that happened to Johnson was he got the disease and demonstrated by leadership how serious it was (and that's not a barbed dig).

However, there's risk mitigation. We don't all move in circles that require us to do shakey-hands-man or be in back-to-back face-to-face meetings, nor do we live in dense urban environments. So getting on a dive boat would mean a few changes, but the risks would be miniscule given the age and profile of most divers (middle aged, care about health and fitness, middle class, etc.). Same with getting access to sailing boats!

Have a very poor view about this tracking application wet dream being dreamt up, same with wearing a bra on our faces -- need the right cup to appear to be a right tit.

11. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

The man is, and always has been, a lying buffoon unfit to hold public office. The UK gov handling of this is comparable to bent diver in denial .... until it becomes impossible to ignore the problem. In this case too little too late is a massive understatement.

On 23rd January Hancock gave reassurances (https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...-70F8-4CC6-AABD-2CCF4E271C34/WuhanCoronavirus) we were ready for this and had already developed a test and 3 months later....
    It doesn't need population density only people interaction, both direct and indirect (surface persistence is worrying). We too are quite remote but most times I go out on my bike I see an ambulance with flashing lights. This is not normal and reflects another person is having a bad day.

I worry about delivery drivers (thanks goodness I have Chemgene) and I mistrust everything that comes through the front door (Amazon delivery this morning will remain in the greenhouse for a few days).

I may be fit and 'young' (under 65) but I know others younger, and equally fit, who have been very ill with this. I also would had to pass this on to others less healthy
    A dive boat brings people together, some from high infection rate population centres, into a close environment where 2m isn't achievable, or relevant (wind and metal surfaces). With a day on the boat the divers and crew would have plenty of chance to exchange such an infections agent.

The RNLI don't want to be rescuing people (they don't want to get sick either) and I suspect there would be few volunteers to spend 7 hours in a chamber with a bent diver, assuming medical O2 and suitable staff are available on site. What cleaning regime would be applied to the chamber afterwards?
    In the absence of a vaccine, testing, tracking and contact following is now, and has always been, the only way to deal with this. In January we were in a reasonable place to do this but now it is somewhat out of control with no coherent plan to contain the disease.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  12. John F

John F Active Member

I think it’s also going to be very difficult to shut the country down for a long period of time without totally the economy and putting us all into the Stone Age.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

But it's just what XR wanted for Christmas ;)

Totally agree that Covid-19 isn't something anybody wants, especially if they're one of the <10% who get it badly (restrict the discussion to typical divers). Can't stop thinking that the risk is somewhat being whipped up by the special cases of people living in very close proximity, such as was the case in London - tubes/buses, coffee houses, lunch, office, etc. Now we know more -- and have spent two months practising social isolation -- and we're talking about a group of people who mostly live outside of London, then the risk is somewhat less. Yes, of course it's only one spreader required. But my point remains that the risk is greatly decreased over the risk in February.

John F likes this.
  14. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

I'm puzzled. You'll need to explain how knowing there are tens of thousands of infected people scattered throughout the population represents a lower risk than being an island where the only points of entry are airports and ports, with scope for new arrivals to be tested/quarantined on entry (a bit like the situation in New Zealand, just scaled up a bit).

15. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I've mellowed a bit in my old age and don't tend to abuse people online like I used to but; for fuck's sake Wibble, you are a prize fucking idiot.

I dunno what dive boats you go out on but the demographic I see, and I've seen many hundreds more UK divers on a boat than you have, don't correlate very closely with your idea of a UK diver. And what the fuck has 'middle-class' got to do with things?

The first guy that I know personally to have succumbed to this disease was 44 years old, so a lot younger than both of us. He was fit and had been doing the sort of diving you do for many years.

So take your whining about our 'our home-made fascist regime' and stick it up your arse.

Wibble likes this.
  16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Just that it'll be more prevalent in the larger conurbations. Not so prevalent out in the sticks.

And, Nick, the one person I know who has Covid is an active diver whom I've dived with. So maybe I'm just clutching at straws, going a bit ga-ga stuck at home.

17. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

My friend didn't make it.

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Truly sorry to hear that.