1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermulation Heated Vest / Ursuit FIR

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Col__M, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Gosh, fully waterproof.

2. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Where worth diving in UK waters is diveable when the temperature is 4c? I don't think the sea often gets that cold here.

3. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I got 3degC at Wraysbury last week.

(I know, I know....I’ll get me coat)

4. Dave Whitlow

Nah, the crayfish are mostly inactive when it is cold so Craysbury isn't appealing (to me).

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

3 degrees in Buckland today.

6. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I'm using dry gloves but can't keep my hands warm - 30 mins is about it (at the moment) before I start to get really uncomfortable and lose a significant amount of dexterity.

7. splinter

splinter Active Member

What undergloves are you using? I have a pair of silk ski glove liners then the thin wool gloves that come with the kubis over them.
    Keeping your core warm seems to be the trick tho. I have a wicking base layer, a merino top and a thin fleece under my undersuit (otter commercial 200) this time of year. The tips of my fingers and toes were chilly after an hour yesterday, but not enough to affect dexterity much.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Underglove / drygloves

Yesterday in our 3 degree dive, both myself and @jps were using the Fourth Element glove liners -- thin neoprene gloves. Fine on my hands, but John was having horrendous problems with cold. Proof that they fit some people, but not all.

My hands were OK wearing the thick textured outer gloves (available from Santi and Kubi and as used by @nickb -- not been able to find a generic replacement) along with the FE Glove Liners with FE wrist warmers (like gloves without fingers and thumb) under that and as an 'air break' in the seal. Cold yes, but not debilitating cold so could still feel and manipulate things.

John described it as if someone was pushing needles down his fingers!

9. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Inland, the quarries are at there best in the winter with 15m not that unusual at Wraysbury. Crayfish were still out and about when I was there last month along with the tench and carp.

10. John F

John F Member

I was there on Tuesday, they had been digging the corner out, vis was about 2-3 meters, still loads of crayfish and some tench. Water temp was 4 degrees.
    John.

11. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I’ve seen a couple of monstrous carp in the on recent trips, plus big pike and tench.

Have only been fiddling with new kit but really enjoyed it.

12. John F

John F Member

I was trying a new wing, would like to see pike, have never seen one in 18 years of diving.

13. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

They’re in there. I’ve seen one on several different occasions at Wraysbury plus a couple of times at Stoney.

14. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've seen the pike at Stoney quite a few times, usually along the 5m shelf towards the Gresham wreck. Saw one last week, disappearing into the depths. They like to hang around in the weeds and they can blend in pretty well.

15. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

I have had them sitting so close to me in the weeds at stoney it has made me jump when i noticed them

16. Dave Whitlow

At Wraysbury the pike seem to favour the bus as a lurking place.

At Stoney cove, as previously observed, follow the 6m shelf towards the Gresham wreck and you should find them lurking in the weeds after the corner. Best on a scooter as they look so smug calmly gliding out of your way and then, as they realise you are motoring towards them, apply serious effort and move quickly (the things that amuse us :) ).

splinter likes this.
  17. John F

John F Member

I’ve never got to Stoney, I have a race to do at Donington in early May with quali on Friday and race Sunday so am intending to do Stoney on the Saturday, if all goes to plan.
    John.

18. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Also spotted one in the bus at Gildenburgh.

I think they just hide from you John!

19. John F

John F Member

I am starting to think your right.