1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Yellow DSMB and it's use.

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Badknees, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

The simple problem we have here is that there is no law that says which is to be used and where, just an 'acknowledged' convention.

On boat dives it pays to tell the surface crew and skipper what your signal in case of emergency will be. Me, its a yellow dsmb.

Most LDS will not even ask when you buy one, and if they sold them in pink with gold spots on they would, to anyone who asked.

2. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

De facto not de jure. The more that adopt it, the more it becomes standardized.

3. chris-the-sham

chris-the-sham Active Member

after reading this I've wrote my initials on my orange one and OK beneath them, and I've ordered a yellow online and will be writing help on it. i recently passed my OW and am currently doing my AOW, been shown how to use a DSMB - very well might i add - but no mention of colour. I will ask on my next dive wheat the local practice is but make sure that i let them know what my mine mean when they are sent up. hopefully only the orange one

:0

4. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Whoa there hoss, what happens if you lose your orange blob and have to fire your yellow one? The skipper is going to be well impressed at following the yellow "HELP" when you surface and go "what a great dive, pity I lost my orange blob".

Incidentally, what would you expect the skipper to do once he sees the yellow "HELP"?

5. chris-the-sham

is that not the same as only having a yellow one?

ok, then i might not write help on it. but then we're back at the start.

my buddy also carries an orange blob. hows that suit?

6. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Ok here's how some guys use the orange and yellow blobs.

Normal dive and normal ascent - orange blob

Lose the orange one, send up the yellow up on its own

Problem, such as out-of-gas, then as long as it has been agreed with the skipper, the orange will have already been deployed so you send the yellow up on the same line so the orange and yellow form a V on the surface.

7. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Call International Rescue, obviously. FAB ;)

C

Silty Bottom likes this.
  8. chris-the-sham

ok, but if you have a problem and lose the orange one what do you do?

9. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

As per my previous two posts, send up the yellow one.

Yellow on its own means feck-all :) Unless you've agreed it with the skipper.

10. chris-the-sham

ok, but what if you need help and only have the yellow one after losing your orange one?

11. chris-the-sham

im getting confused :confused:

12. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Sorry I've just read your post as I think you've meant it.

You mean you lose your orange blob AND have a problem? I'd send up my 2nd orange blob ;)

If you only carry one of each then send up your buddy's.

Lost your buddy as well? This isn't your day is it? You could always attach a slate with the problem written down to the top of your blob and hope the skipper sees it :)

13. chris-the-sham

think id have made it up by this time. i can see where the confusion lies though. i might get a black blob with a white top to signify i need a pint. any objections?

14. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Love it :) order one for me too

You see where the problem lies though? If you write help on your yellow blob, and you haven't agreed anything with the skipper, what do you want him to do? Have you got a problem? Have you just lost your red blob? Do you need gas? Do you want him to put the kettle on? Or have you simply got the mother of all lobbies in your catch bag?

Personally, I usually carry two orange blobs and occasionally one yellow. I'll be honest, I've never spoken with the skipper beforehand about what I'm expecting if I launch my yellow. As far as I'm concerned it's there as another backup

15. chris-the-sham

don't think ill write help on it then...

double blob signifies problem will do for me. now if the weather would improve i might be able to get out! but thats a different thread.

16. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

Double blob may well indicate a problem, but what is the solution to the problem? More air? You did bring a drop tank with you didn't you?

17. chris-the-sham

that would have been discussed at the surface, I'm busy trying to attach my second blob here without having to worry about that. as a minimum it would indicate to the skip that he needs to be ready to leave sharpish. and yes there may be there divers in the water so again - problems. I'm glad I'm not sorting this out

18. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

As I said. It all means feck-all if you haven't told the skipper what you want ;)

19. chris-the-sham

debate to be had tomorrow - finally getting a dive after al this crap weather