1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Yellow DSMB and it's use.

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Badknees, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Robin

Robin New Member

Being new to scuba im just about to buy my 1st SMB and was about to buy a orange & yellow mixed one. After reading this I will now just buy a orange one.

Maybe this should be made a sticky to get greater awearness, I know i was never told the differance between the two.

2. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Good call Robin

3. Angry Dan

Angry Dan Active Member

Holly cow Batman

4. Mrs Doc

Mrs Doc New Member

It's a great can of worms isn't it!!
    I was on BlueFlipper a month or so ago, and there was a post on there from someone extolling the virtues of a double sided one: the idea being that when everything's OK you wave the orange side at the boat, and if its not, you turn it round and wave the yellow side!!!! I can only assume that the dive guides, etc. (I think it was in Thailand where 'everybody was using them') never have to cope with an emergency situation while still underwater, nor have to hold onto /calm a diver down / or worse while ensuring that the yellow side was pointing n the right direction!! I think I'll pass on this gadget for the time being!!!

5. sythesigh

sythesigh New Member

I was never told about the difference in the coloured SMB's either I will definately be buying an orange one when I get one!
    Agreed this should be a sticky! :D

6. MK_Stu

MK_Stu Member

I came across the attachment which is the BDSG recommendations for the use of different SMBs. It is the same as that described above and suggests that a yellow SMB should have EMERGENCY written on it.

I also saw a reference to the coastguard asking divers to put a name and contact number on their DSMB.

Funnily no suggestion of a use for a yellow and orange blob!

I agree with the suggestion above that this thread should be sticky

Cheers

Stu

7. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I can't track the reference right now, but I remember reading somewhere that in some parts of the USA, the colour protocol is reversed - yellow means "Here I am". red/orange means "I am in the deep brown stuff".

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Chris

PS - Thanks BK- Excellent thread!!

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I guess i really depends what you've agreed with the skipper or surface cover. None of the boats i dive from have cylinders rigged up to drop down to you

9. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

I would be interested in an answer to this as we are off to Canada ( in 7 sleeps!) and as I have both colours it will be easy to swap them round to conform to the local norm.

10. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

or have one like mine
    [​IMG]

and i know you dont spell it like that

11. paul f

paul f Member

There is a Scandanavian dive shop in the south of Thailand that uses yellowish DSMB's and their boat captain get very annoyed if you don't use it as he doesn't know which divers are from his boat.

12. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

Size matters, and clearly you needed a bigger one (or smaller lettering).

13. Air-Guzzler

If i manage to get it that inflated I am in the shite

14. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Today I saw the most ridiculous yellow SMB I've ever come across. The owner had decided to write HELLO down it, but when it was half inflated sticking out of the water, the only letters showing were HEL... Can you guess what that made a lot of people think?!

Ellie

15. zoglet

zoglet Member

Why should shops comply with what only techies train to be the norm? and not ALL techies at that? I think it's wrong to make assumptions and yes there is a double meaning to the colours. I have heard other skippers and dive instructors state that the dual coloured one is more visible in a wider range of conditions, the orange isn't always as easily seen as the yellow. If I see a yellow SMB I'd be sure to take a closer look and highlight it but I wouldn't automatically assume there to be a problem. I guess it depends where I was. I certainly wouldn't panic on a dual coloured one. I might in fact be more concerned to see an orange SMB 10 minutes into a dive that should last 45.

I agree with the idea of marking the SMB and _clarifying / agreeing_ what you have and use with the surface support. Also that it's better to be safe than sorry. I've also heard people tie a knot in the SMB to show there's a problem. Different strokes for different folks (perhaps wrong terminology there ;) )

Be sure that your team understand and use the same protocol and you shouldn't have an issue.

Oooh quick re-edit ps, I should add I do actually agree with the red/yellow rule for position/emergency, but just point out that not everyone is taught this. Does anyone know if this is mentioned in the latest BSAC or PADI OW or dSMB speciality course?

16. mills705

mills705 Member

Recreational divers diving will just go into the shop and buy a dsmb which is good for them, be it price or what is available.
    I happen to own a yellow dsmb which was sold to me on the advice of the shop. He is a very large techie too.
    The only reason there is a need for dsmbs is for boats or during a drift dive.
    Techie divers cant push their beliefs onto the majority, it just wouldnt work. Not many people when starting out have any idea about what technical diving is! And therefore would be completely blown away. Until PADI or BSAC enforce it then there is no need to push it on people. A DSMB is a DSMB.
    Techie divers tend to stick together on boats so the group will no anyway.

17. Air-Guzzler

Mills,
    If your on a boat the skipper will ask all of the group if they are putting a Blob up and what colour (well all the boats I dive from) its also a general rule that the Yellow Blob is sent up the same line as the Orange/red one denoting the diver with a problem.

So if your on any of the boats I dive from the skipper seeing a Yellow blob and knowing that one of his divers will e sending one up is not likely to get into second gear and expect to have to deal with a problem

18. salty_scuba_peanut

salty_scuba_peanut New Member

DSMBs aren't only for a boat or drift dive. What about a dive in the sea in an area of heavy boat traffic? Or on a dive in a quarry to practise using them?

19. Elvis

Elvis Banned

For that matter what if you are diving on a site when another dive boat turns up with "techy" (or at least divers that understand yellow = Oh Shit) and you send up your yellow blob (possibly whilst your boat is off a ways recovering other divers)?

20. Mrs Doc

Mrs Doc New Member

When we ran a boat, as part of the preparation, we got dives to complete the 'form' stating what they were wearing and colour (dry / wet), and also what market buoy they were carrying. This enables the skipper to have a rough idea of who had sent their blob up. And - should the proverbial have hit the fan, he and the Coastguard would know what they were looking for and how quickly the diver was likely to get really, really cold!

General rule of thumb - regardless of whether you're diving recreational or techie, make sure your surface cover knows what each blob, or combination of blobs, means! Hopefully then there should be no misunderstanding!