1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The whole shabang?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by LittleMermaid, Aug 28, 2009.

1. LittleMermaid

LittleMermaid New Member

Hello there,

How much will it cost me roughly to get kitted with the essentials? I know this is a really broad question and there could be many answers to it but just a rough estimate would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks guys :)

2. O2 Steve

O2 Steve New Member

Hiya Merm

Tank, decent BCD, decent drysuit, computer, best regs you can find, fins and mask = about £1000 - £1500, then add on for all the other crap you will end up needing (lead, torches, dsmb/reel, etc) probably a couple of hundred more depending on what you get.

TBH, you never stop buying stuff! Some places do a package deal (some with 0% finance) and you can do well with them - when i started out some years back I bought the whole lot for £2000 but when priced up individually it came to over £4000! The bits i didnt want went on ebay and I got a good chunk of it back :D

Do some research and shop around. feel free to ask on here about specfic bits of kit as someone will have used it and will give you an honest apparaisal (nless its Oceanic equipment in which case Doc will try to sell you it) ;)

3. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

About right but u cant stop the
    lure of shiny things. The amount i
    have saved with my own kit vs
    hired is about 3x that. Or was it
    because i had my own kit i dived
    3x more :)

4. LittleMermaid

LittleMermaid New Member

Do you know of any places i could get the package deals from Steve? Ill have to remind myself not to mention Oceanic equipment to Doc then aye ;)[hr]
    I would say it was almost deffo because you dived more Puddlefish! Id much rather have my own kit rather than hire it anyway to be honest! :)

5. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Angry Dan has some nice shiny 12 Litre Cylinders for sale if thats any help.

Ellie

6. LittleMermaid

LittleMermaid New Member

Well i dont know where to start to be honest, would they be the best things to buy first? Its so scary the thought of parting with so much money and not really knowing what im getting myself into but i love it :D

7. O2 Steve

O2 Steve New Member

Hiya merm

you could try these guys www.roho.co.uk or http://www.diverswarehouse.co.uk/ both would be a bit of a trek for you but may well be worth while. I'm sure some of the southerners will have alternatives ;)

8. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Someone priced this up a while ago over on YD, they reckoned you could completely kit yourself out for single cylinder UK diving for around £1600 dry or £1200-1300 wet/semi

9. anthonyexmouth

Well i gotta say Doc has looked after me very well, and i guess in turn looked after himself..lol.. i am just a newbie but i would say cylinders would be the last thing to buy. i dont know about other dive centres but doc does a good membership where cylinder hire works out free. you have to get them filled at a centre so why not just hire them as and when you need them, they are expensive and bulky so why not let the dive centre worry about servicing and storage. spend more money on more personal items like regs and suit.

10. Aquafan

Aquafan Active Member

Because for people like me who don't live near a dive shop save money on club fees and hire costs. When I started diving i was sure that i would just hire kit, but in practice I don't know any diver that hires kit now. The Doc has a good system and it makes sense if you are there often. Plus how can i play with my gear in the shed if it's all hired :thumbup:

11. anthonyexmouth

mmm i do admit when i bought my set up it was a blessing/curse that the only thing i never got was a cylinder because i would have spent the night face down in the bath testing it out..lol.

12. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

You could try James at Amphibian sports west norwood competitively priced fairly sure a package could be worked out. Kent diving at Dartford or Mikes dive store the last two have larger ranges but not sure how much of a discount you could get. Best to go and try kit on but then what style BCD to get back inflation or one which goes round you, Ladies style integrated weights, standard hose inflator or the leaver type.
    Apart from the essentials mask etc. My hubby bought me the dive computer for my open water sessions I then bought regs and BCD fi I had a semi-dry already. I then got a dry-suit then got cold water regs then a tank or two and I have just upgraded BCD to a diverite transpac harness and wing.

13. Kent Shrimper

Kent Shrimper New Member

I would recommend Kent Diving very highly, great advise, competitively priced and always willing to help. Either pop in if close enough or give Bruce a call / email and explain that your new and looking for a package.

14. Rainey

Rainey Member

Hi Merm

If you're not in a hurry for kit and want to try a variety of items, there is always the dive show in October.

http://www.diveshows.co.uk/index.shtml

15. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

hey thats harsh.......

I do Hollis, Aeris and Seac Sub as well!!!:tongue::tongue:

16. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

hey thats harsh.......

I do Hollis, Aeris and Seac Sub as well!!!:tongue::tongue:[hr]
    hey thats harsh.......

I do Hollis, Aeris and Seac Sub as well!!!:tongue::tongue:[hr]
    ooooppssss sorry, computer had a moment

17. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

you also seem to repeat your self quite alot

18. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

yerp........

19. O2 Steve

O2 Steve New Member

I'll second that, not bought much from them but when I have its always been a good price and a cracking service. Bruce knows his stuff and always happy to give advice.