1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Three days diving of Pembrokshire 8-10m easy vis no dives blown out, nice to get some UK diving, nice mix of wrecks and reefs a few seals, and crayfish for the Bar-B-Q. Life is good.

Vanny likes this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Just finished two weeks of easy Mediterranean diving on the Costa Blanca.

Today's was great. I buggered off on my own (with the agreement of the dive leader) partly because they were finishing off a course. So we anchored in 5m of water and off I went.

Lovely, sublime, peaceful.. terrific hour gently perusing the flora and fauna on the hole-strewn limestone rock.

Returning to the boat I found the rest of the divers kneeling on the bottom under the boat. Not being one to pass up more underwater time, I hovered at a respectful distance watching them and the many small fish.

They were doing various skills which I thought was typical Open Water stuff; taking off their kit underwater, and putting up an SMB. I thought this as every one of them was either kneeling in the sand, or in the "fin pivot" position. Although some of them also did that pointless Buddha thing. There were assistants on hand to grab their 'buddy' in case of a buoyancy fail during the kit doff & don -- seemed like there was a couple of them.

Anyway I did a couple of drills off to the side; mask swap, longhose deploy, all whilst flat and not touching the bottom. I threw up my SMB when they did and did a slow ascent whilst they were faffing around the boat. They then all went for a swim.

When I got back on the boat I discovered that it wasn't an Open Water course, but a DiveMASTER skills course. Oops. Now there's an incorrect assumption! The swim was their measured swim with fins.

furryman likes this.
  3. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

Yep. I know how you feel, I've seen the same stuff in Ndac ;) ;)
    You've may have been there ;)

B

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Nice lady buddy and a very young girlie instructor bowled up and took the lead. She was all for canning the dive without going in, although the conditions seemed benign and we were going in on the slack. We talked her round, kitted up and plodded down to the beach and then took our lives in our hands onto the shingle. Got ib and surface swam out to the end of the groynes. Visibility 2m and the instructor had no argument from us then. I did a couple of descents and chased and caught a little crab and then headed in. Fought our way onto the shore and up the shingle and then slogged up to the road.
    Why was I cheered up? New pleasant buddy, first, if abortive UK sea dive, tested out weighting - I might be able to go down 1kg. Know the entry and exit challenges of this site, so it will be easier next time.

Vanny and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

My neoprene neck seal was getting loose and on 20th I walked into OThree and they concluded it needed a 3cm 'tweak'. It was ready this morning and, for the princely sum £15, they've done a very tidy job. No longer will I need to careful roll the neckseal to avoid getting wet, and still get more moist that I would like. I think my spare suit may also be going to visit them :)

NickPicks likes this.
  6. Dave Whitlow

Even more cheered up today by the double wins of a neck seal that just works and having 10m+ viz on a tidy little wreck 18 miles south-east of Portland. I even had a real buddy, rather than one I bagged, with which to enjoy deco-cider.

Shame the 'bell week' idea from Ian Taylor (Skin Deep) of diving wrecks from which no bell has been recovered seems to become 'bell day' and no bell was spotted.

7. nickb

nickb Active Member

I think that dive could well have had my highest 'length of deco/length of wreck ratio'. I can't remember the last time I've seen as many crabs, lobsters and congers on one wreck. Usual number of bells though!

8. Dave Whitlow

Yeah, almost 2 minutes per metre! There was certainly a lot of food available. Avalanche is infested too, although has much less congers.

9. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Booked up for Scapa in 2019! - Not long to wait then..

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Before or after Brexit? :jawdrop:

11. Dave Whitlow

picture not showing Nick

12. nickb

nickb Active Member

Collecting this cheered me up today and ameliorated the pain of being blown-out:

[​IMG]

JohnL and Wibble like this.
  13. nickb

nickb Active Member

That's why I deleted it!

If you do the same, we can tidy up the thread

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Lovely and shiny. I guess it's your booster pump driver.

Curious about how long would it take to fill a single 12?

15. nickb

nickb Active Member

It fills 100l/min so a completely empty 12l to 232 bar should take 28 minutes

16. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Just on the Chunnel. France today , Austria tomorrow, Croatia Sunday. Sunny warm diving , mountain bike and paddle board for a couple of weeks. Then back to a lake in France. Booked onto dive the Illinois out of Portland in September so more to look forward to.
    "See" you all in a few weeks :geek:

Wibble, Doomanic and JohnL like this.
  17. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Lovely dive on the Carlisle Castle today. Really enjoyed the wreck, loads still to see. Will definitely visit it again one day.

Wibble and Doomanic like this.
  18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Whilst I spent the day in Wraysbury furkling with my new sidemount kit in the murk. Wasn't pretty and a whole new set of new skills required.

I'd have sooner been out diving in the sea. Too many cancellations lately.

19. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Do I sense an upcoming 'Intro to Cave: Course Review' within the next year??

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hmmm, there's a thought:)

Tribal Chestnut likes this.