1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Yeah, OC is scary. It was that gauge and 'what if?' thoughts that took me to the light side.

I limit my OC recklessness to Chesil Cove as I know the surface is very close.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is that because a single's lighter to lug up pebble hill than a box with bailout stage?

stevehusauk likes this.
  3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Those of us who don't live by the sea have to take joy in whatever we can get.

4. Dave Whitlow

Partly, as having retained the autoair I don't need bailout for Chesil. However, an hour is quite enough so why bother with the extra complexity? Give it a few weeks and the wetsuit will be out!

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The joy of rubbing it in that you went diving whilst us, who live by the sea, had our dives cancelled.

6. Dave Whitlow

Sorry. I missed the irony in your post about quality over quantity as I was busy picking meat from the 5lb crab I adopted in place of the buddy who abandoned me for Scapa Flow.

7. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Sounds like a fair exchange to me.

8. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

First dives with my daughter yesterday at Wraysbury. We spent most of the time writing messages to each other on my wet notes and playing with crayfish.

She wasn't too keen on the vis, <1-2m, so for our third dive we spent an hour bumbling (not bimbling) around next to one of the entry points.

Griffalo, Wibble, JohnL and 1 other person like this.
  9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Sensible girl, I'm not keen on poor vis. It's a good feeling, diving with a daughter - mine is 27 and we dived together for the first time this year.

Wibble, Tribal Chestnut and splinter like this.
  10. nickb

nickb Active Member

I can't tell anyone about what cheered me up today, but it was awesome and I'm gonna do it again in the morning....

11. Dave Whitlow

Shut Up! We are not interested :muted:

I am cheered by having prepped my kit for tomorrow, for the Rotarua dive you were originally booked on. Thankfully, unlike HMS Delight yesterday, there are enough booked and this one hasn't been cancelled.

I shall again look for a monster crab and shall again name it Nick. The last Nick weighed in at 2.5kg but is sadly now all gone (apart from a shell sitting in the back garden).

12. nickb

nickb Active Member

That cheers me up too. I know how to be magnanimous :p

13. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

My buddies called Nick and he's diving the Rota Rua with me tomorrow ! See you there!!

14. Dave Whitlow

Good to see you and I think we can agree it was a good couple of days diving.

I was good there were enough residents for me to adopt a new buddy each day. I named them Nick. They seemed to appreciate the deco cider

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wibble likes this.
  15. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes. Good couple of days. Hope Nicks happy

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Off to Mexico tomorrow for 2 weeks. Not an out and out diving holiday like some of our other ones have been but a holiday with some diving. Hoping for whale sharks. Been lots of places but never seen a whale shark before.

Col__M likes this.
  17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

In Spain for a couple of weeks R&R. Tend to dive in the mornings: double dives off a RIB using a single cylinder. Was cold last week due to the thermocline being at 9 metres following a storm. No problems as I've brought my drysuit and 16 degrees isn't cold! Was back to a more normal 22 degrees today.

WCMUT... finally put my foot down about going with a dive leader and being buddied up and had a couple of supremely relaxing solo dives. I really enjoy a slow bimble watching the flora and fauna going about its own business. Lots of sea life: stonefish, morays, dorado, and loads of 'goldfish'. Feeling really chilled and grateful to the dive outfit for allowing me to do this.

Definitely practicing hard for the Spanish triathlon: eating, drinking and sleeping....

18. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Glory be, a response from BSAC and they are starting a Sports Diver group in September.

Nick Ward likes this.
  19. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

And just found that they are in Ipswich not North Norfolk (although they dive there). They seem very active; I'll go down to a club night to get the feel; it looks very positive.

Nick Ward likes this.
  20. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Just sorted out a Sunday lunchtime dive at Sheringham on the North Norfolk coast. Conditions look good with little or no swell, only slight concern is that it was quite rough on Wednesday and vis might still be recovering. Nice simple dive for my first dive in the sea in UK.