1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Hand op yesterday, all seems well. Under general, anaesthetist also injected nerves and have had no pain so far :). Thumb and two fingers coming back - buttons will be possible tomorrow :whistling:. Stitches out and hand therapy starts next week. Lots of risks of delayed recovery but no PADI warnings (get this wrong and YOU WILL DIE :depressed:)

Tribal Chestnut and Wibble like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Maybe we could go for a sail If ever I get the boat back in the water. Prop shaft now removed; just need to find someone to make another, then refit everything.

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Sounds great, as long as you don't want me to pull on any ropes for a while.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Pull... ropes...? We do have winches -- it's not a square rigger!

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Mooring ropes on winches, must be ocean-going racer.:whistling: Don't think that I'd be up to winching either, although I'm almost touch-typing again.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

You mean mooring warps? Or halyards. Or sheets. Or guys. Or outhaul, topping lift, luff lines, kicker....

The only rope is the bolt rope on the genoa leech.

Zubar likes this.
  7. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Stop being a smart arse. Everyone knows that it's only string - just of different thicknesses.

Doomanic and JohnL like this.
  8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Are you sure it isn't a square rigger.:whistling:

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ah, but what type of string... nylon, dyneema, three strand, cored, octoplat...

Getting the replacement prop shaft made, taking the old one to the Metal Mickeys as a pattern today.

10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Is there anything you can do whilst it's being fitted out to make this last longer or easier to do in the future? Double up the bearings?

11. clique

clique Active Member

My new cells have arrived from Narked at 90! I was uncomfortable with how close it was to my liveaboard on Saturday, panic over!

Mike

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For some reason the shaft has worn at the cutlass bearing. At a loss to see why as it was only done 5 years ago and she's done very little mileage since - probably less than 100 hours. I'm doing it myself this time -- not least because all the engineers are busy -- so I'll make sure that all's tight, etc.

Sodding annoying though.

13. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

9 days in Croatia has CMU. The diving is awesome, Plitvice National Park is probably the most beautiful place I've ever been, the people are friendly (and speak better English than many English people) and it's cheap. BA Business Class has mixed reviews however; the outbound flight was awesome, but the return was not so good. No priority boarding, so we had to rub shoulders with the great unwashed, and they were not held back until we had deplaned either. I was also called to the bowels of the airport to open and explain my breaver.

WECMU was the hire car monkey missing the ding Mrs c put in the passenger door of the brand spanking new Tipover hire car. No excess FTW!

Oh, and it returned over 50mpg, despite being driven by a hamfisted oaf.

#1733 Doomanic, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Andy Stevenson and splinter like this.
  14. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Nice one. Glad you got a good trip. I really like croatia and the diving is excellent. I find it kinda like uk diving but with viz and sunshine !
    I must try to visit that vis island, diving looks amazing. Looking forward to my road trip there in August.

Doomanic likes this.
  15. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Flat calm seas, sunshine, good viz and amazingly long slack on a rarely dived, and rather pretty, little wreck in the Portland race. Some years not diveable but we just had three consecutive days when tides, weather and viz combined.

It has been a great start to my UK dive season so let's hope it continues this way!

nickb, barrygoss and Doomanic like this.
  16. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

I've just discovered Swanage!! 10m+ vis on the Kyarra followed by a pootle round the pier.

17. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Hang onto it for next weekend please

18. nickb

nickb Active Member

Even Dave Whitlow can't keep neap tides going for a week

19. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Managed two cramp free dives today, the second of which had an SAC rate of 23.16, with which I was very happy, & did a mask removal whilst keeping my eyes open & not losing a contact lenses. Small victories and all that.

Doesn't compare to the fun the rest of you are having in the sea, but I had to be away by 1400 so am rather content.

Vanny and JohnL like this.
  20. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

BOOOOO