1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. splinter

splinter Active Member

I was on a GUE experience day at Capernwray today. Learned more about buoyancy and trim in two dives than on pretty much any previous course I've done! I can see fundies looming in the not too distant future. Thanks Marcus and Becky!

Cybes, becky9, Doomanic and 3 others like this.
  2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Yep, get it done Tim. Since my course I've dived 12 times and only had any notable cramp on 3 dives - the first two (but even that wasn't too severe) & another during which I was managing to wrap line all around myself, whereas before I was getting severe cramp on most dives. Proper muscle tearing cramp too.

Even managed about 90mins+ (Over 2 dives) of tarting about on a platform at Wraysbury today with no issues. Probably jinxing it by writing this, but I doubt it's a coincidence that this is post that GUE course.

splinter likes this.
  3. splinter

splinter Active Member

I'm going to get the Tec 50 out of the way, then start saving the pennies for fundies. I wish i could do it the other way round as it would make the Tec course so much easier, but time and funds won't allow at the moment. The stuff i learned yesterday has given me a good base to practice from though.

There were also three fairly new BSAC divers there as well. It was impressive to see how much they improved over the two dives and there were definitely a few lightbulb moments when they were asking why nobody had told them this stuff before!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Wibble and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Two decent length dives and no cell failures today. :D

Major Clanger likes this.
  5. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Didn't realise you were on here Tim. Was good to meet and dive with you. Are you based oop north? x

6. splinter

splinter Active Member

I'm just south of Sheffield, Becky.

Thanks again for all your help yesterday. I had a great time and you gave me a lot to think about.

7. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

No probs at all, I enjoyed it too. Don't know why but I had the idea you were a from the midlands area. Anyways more than welcome to join us anytime you fancy and can always help. I seem to remember we promised to go through the light stuff, more than welcome to do that if you want to meet up again x

splinter likes this.
  8. splinter

splinter Active Member

That'd be great, thanks.

Zubar and becky9 like this.
  9. clique

clique Active Member

Sort of attended a BSAC Advanced Lifesaver course in the NW region and had the opportunity to get both the open water lessons of my Advanced Diver signed off. Leaving just the Theory test (which seeing some of the papers tests a very broad range of subjects; Synoptic Charts, Admiralty Charts and general seamanship knowledge in addition to the diving knowledge) and AP2, which is organising a weekends worth of diving (Easy) with an advanced instructor (Difficult).

Also, Given the negative opinion people have of BSAC. It was refreshing to see BSAC training being delivered to a high standard!

Alex Denny and Doomanic like this.
  10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Just got back from the woods with my daughter.

Some kind soul had fashioned several jumps out of fallen trees and earth, so the Munchkin lined up her bike and took them all nicely. I expected her to bottle it so was very very impressed, particularly as a couple were quite high.

I then had a go but with far less grace.

After playing around a bit more I attacked a far smaller one, which I landed a little awkwardly, much to the chagrin of the kid.

After a brief lesson in how to position my body etc etc I lined up again and hit the jump feeling pretty good.

My front wheel touched down, but the rear was nowhere to be seen as I then proceeded to bounce down the path in a string of cartwheel/roly-poly type things, eventually coming to rest against a conveniently located tree.

Now have a bloody sore knee and a few miscellaneous aches and pains, together with a broken saddle, but it was great fun.

Next time I'll wear my armour.

11. Doomanic

Staff Member

First of all,
    [​IMG]

Second, what bike?

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  12. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Bicycle bike.

My old Specialized M2 Comp. All the way from 1998.

Looks miniature with it's 26" wheels next to the tractor tyres on my daughter's Trek.

13. Doomanic

Staff Member

Nice. Got a few classics myself; '95 GT Zaskar LE, '98 Club Roost VCV, '11 Secialized Camber FSR Comp and my pride and joy;
    [​IMG]

14. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

After a year of faffing, I finally got around to taking my dive master exams. 97% across both papers (and the ones I got wrong were "RTQ"s). Now, I just need to finish off the rest of the wet stuff...

Tribal Chestnut and JohnL like this.
  15. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

You got me looking at new full suspensionbikes, thinking I could ship mine out to France and have a nice new one for here.

They all seem to weight 30lbs++ and cost £5k+. Mental.

In other news I replaced my buggered saddle with an early 90s vintage Vetta Gel special that was on a shelf in the garage, knew I'd kept it for a reason. Also had a little rummage for my elderly Flite Titanium but alas, it's no where to be found.

16. Doomanic

Staff Member

Mine was a lot less than £5K!

17. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

I have sorted out a week's budget diving in the Maldives. Return flights, hotel and 12 boat dives for less than 1500 quids.

Right now, cold water can kiss my voluminous buttskee... until Scapa in September.

Griffalo likes this.
  18. Doomanic

Staff Member

I'm not sure that 1500 quid counts as "budget" but I hope you have a nice time.

19. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

It counts for that place where hotels can cost over 200 quid a night. Breakdown:

Return flight £480
    7 nights hotel £250
    Diving is the pricey bit: 12 Dives, boat, 15 litre cyl etc £480

20. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Thats way way cheaper than my trip to Iceland last week.
    Return flight £280 with extra baggage
    7 nights hotel £600
    7 dives including travel to Strytan £800
    Beer £396,172