1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Last night was ideal conditions (high water springs, clear sky, big moon, and no wind) and I was surprised Colin Garrett wasn't there doing yet another of his GoPro videos.

My buddy impressed me by returning us to exactly the spot he intended so he could see some eels (50m from the entry point) until he confessed he did it by counting the street lights! Next time I'll take a bag with me as the Dover Sole I spotted would have been worth taking home!

Vanny and nickb like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Picked up my drysuit from the menders. I've been using it a lot this summer and getting more and more soggy as the season progressed. Took the opportunity of the enforced incarceration, plus it's the end of the season, to get it fully serviced. It's not really been back since a zip parted three years ago. The suit's about 5 years old and has done well over 400 dives and takes a battering from my diving.

Dennis (Predator) found about 4 holes, a leaking zip - now replaced, neck seal parting (fixed), a leak around the pee valve requiring its removal and patching before replacing, the inlet valve patch parting, the dump valve was broken and replaced, and both cuffs replaced and refitted with the Kubis (he's added a super piece of protective neoprene on the new cuffs to protect the Kubis).

Pic shows the new cuff. The suit's faded over the years, so the new cuff shows itself up as black!

IMG_5998.jpg

Hopefully I will now get another couple of years out of the suit before I need to replace it. Oh, and some dry dives. Have some cold diving coming up as I've a big course and some underground diving to do.

NickPicks and Vanny like this.
  3. splinter

splinter Active Member

First dive since April 2019 today. Met up with a couple of people from the club (socially distanced) in the lake district and dived in Crummock water. It was cold, murky, dark and there wasnt a lot to see. I loved every minute of it.

I thought it might take a bit of time to get back into it, but to be honest I was comfortable from the start and had no issues apart from my dry suit having shrunk a bit round the middle making my valves even harder to reach. I was never the best at shutdowns anyway, so time to try and shed a bit of timber. It's good to be back.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

UK diving, yay \o/

So pleased that you're back in the game. The valve drills are probably just out of practice ;)

splinter likes this.
  5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

We had a quiet bit of weather and someone pointed out Scimitar had spaces. Off I dutifully went (yesterday) for my first CCR dive in 70 days and dived Elena R and Countess of Erne. It was quite pleasing to confirm everything still works and bring home a couple of lobsters and a crab. Not huge specimens (800g lobsters and 1.2kg crab) but the retail price of my catch would be more than I paid!

It was interesting to see the 2c temperature difference between the Elena R (12c) and the Countess (10c). Today, swimming in Castletown, it was only 9c. Clearly I should be swimming further offshore!

splinter and Doomanic like this.