1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Need a jealous smiley! Love diving up there.

splinter likes this.
  2. splinter

splinter Active Member

Not the rondo after all. It was still too lumpy and deteriorating when we got there, still a nice wall dive with lots of life. Off to calve island next.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Vanny likes this.
  3. splinter

splinter Active Member

Got to dive the Rondo at last this morning. Really nice dive, but I found it quite disorienting at times due to it being at such a steep angle.

Second dive was an unknown wreck near Lismore. I never even made it to the bottom of the shot. There was a fair current and I was puffing like mad by the time I reached 34m and lost sight of the shot before I'd reached the bottom so sacked it off and headed back up. I wasn't the first to get back on the boat, at least.

Just got the 8 hour drive home to look forwards to now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I love the Rondo. Something for everyone at any depth. Even hanging at 6m around the rudder's amazing due to the amount of life that congregates there in the current.

So looking forwards to getting back into the sea this year. Bored of puddles.

First one (to be cancelled?) is on Fri Feb 28th off of Channel Diver, Brighton. Loads of spaces free if anyone else wants to join in. The MV Tycho at 32m.

splinter likes this.
  5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

There aren’t loads of free spaces. 9/12 booked last time I checked.

It won’t be cancelled either. It’ll be flat calm and very mild.

jps likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Bally hell. Obviously a bunch of bored divers tired of diving in quarries. I will be amongst friends!

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I've been having increasing difficulty descending in winter gear and a couple of weeks ago failed to get down with what I believed to be an appropriate amount of lead, borrowed 2kg more from a passing diver and still failed. Decided there must be air somewhere and a session on the club pool night would allow me to track the problem down. If you haven't tried 40 minutes in a hot pool with winter gear on, it's cheaper than a Turkish bath and equally dehydrating :hurting:. I did descend but then could only swim head down, just couldn't get trim right.
    So, there is air stuck in my legs but, as yet, I cannot work out why. A complication is that my made to measure dry suit was for the size I was in January 17 - I'm 4kg lighter, a combination of fat loss and muscle gain and slimmer (10 cm off bum, 4cm off thigh, 3cm off calf). You would think that there would be more room for air to find its way out past slimmer legs!
    So, why am I pleased? Because I feel I am homing in on the problem and I'm in touch with a dive centre to have a session with an instructor to help me track down what is going on and find a solution (my club pool sessions are overloaded for the next few weeks).
    As ever, suggestions welcome

8. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Bit of a late entry as it was Saturday night, but I've been busy. Requalified as a pool lifeguard - that's me sorted for the next two years - not bad for an old man who will be 68 in May.

9. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

If you haven't tried 40 minutes in a hot pool with winter gear on, it's cheaper than a Turkish bath and equally dehydrating[/QUOTE]

I done my drysuit pool session in a warm pool in june and I had to be hosed down due to my head looking like a ribena berry. I feel ur pain.

10. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

What cheered me up was finding someone selling a primary light, so it's on its way to me now (according to parcel force's website)

Looking forward to playing light sabres!

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not a Focus per chance?

12. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

No, my kids aren't that generous - not even at your knock down price! :)

Worringly from your other torch threads, it's an LFM 4TEC (older style with the rotary switch). I'll just have to hope it never needs repairing.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Apparently it went to someone who bought it for his dad.

The LFM torches & batteries are great. The real issue is aftersales service - now nearly 3 months since I asked a question for support. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to ring them.

NickPicks likes this.
  14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Trying to break rocks underwater; much more fun than it sounds!

splinter likes this.
  15. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

With power tools? or just a hammer and chisel?

16. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Hmmm power tools under water could be intresting haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

17. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

50m depth and salt water rated, also incredibly expensive for a drill (I can only see $1200 online - the UK site says POA). I've seen video of people using air tools running off a scuba cylinder (cheap air tools are cheap enough to throw away after they sieze up).
    [​IMG]

Leeb2018 likes this.
  18. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I am impressed I didn't think they made power tools. Defo bit too expensive. I stick to my air tools

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

19. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Hammer and chisel.

NickPicks likes this.
  20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

... to drill the hole for the dynamite?

NickPicks likes this.