1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

As @Vanny says, the dive computer is a useful reference for maintaining constant depth (I have one on each arm for this reason).

Your buddy should also provide a useful point of reference, so long as they aren't relying on you at the same time :eek:

Try to avoid getting focussed on the task and keep your buddy and buoyancy under observation. One instructor once said to me 'buddy, buoyancy, task' as the order of priority. The idea here is that task only get the remaining attention after the others have been covered.

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Interesting, I was leading the dive when I got into problems and my buddy was behind me. I find that no matter how you try to be side by side, you usually finish one behind the other.

3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Whenever possible insist on side by side. Your buddy is being lazy and using the comfort of Diving in a position he can easily see you. Great for him/her bad for you. You can manage to look under yourself to see them but much better to get them alongside. Easier for signals , gas checks etc. Just stop and drag them up they’ll soon get the hang of it. Situations where in line is necessary look into torch signalling , can be used side by side as well but very beneficial when you have to be in line.

4. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Get some spring straps or bungee straps. They are a lot easier to use. I prefer the bungees.

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

They are the bungee straps - either I pull them too hard or they've got a limited life. The guy in the dive shop showed no surprise. :geek:

6. Dave Whitlow

Spring straps have a much longer life. I have had the same ones since 2010 and they have done hundreds of dive and show no sight of failing.

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Somebody told me that after the dive - I didn't think to have a discussion with the shop while my buddy was waiting for me to appear to start the dive. :depressed: I'll live with them for a year or so, then get some spring straps before the new ones fail.

8. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Learnt this the hard way. I had to dive in a trio (not ideal), Two of us managed to stick together, the other one was either at the front and just kept on going without communicating or was at the back and just kept disappearing to look at things

9. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

The other point of reference you can use is the little bits of algae floating in the water - they don't tend to move up/down like your buddy might be.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  10. splinter

splinter Active Member

Had a couple of dives in Cyprus this morning. I'm here with a group of friends and 3 of us are diving. My 2 friends haven't dived for a while so we had a shallow morning with a couple of nice swim throughs. Not a lot of fish in the med compared to the Canaries where I last dived abroad, but it was nice to be in 27 deg C water with just an al80. Very chilled and easy. Looking forwards to diving the zenobia on Wednesday then a couple of local wrecks on Friday. Happy days!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

You're definitely not making us jealous. Not at all.

:watching:

12. splinter

splinter Active Member

You'll not be wanting me to post any pics then, if the guide remembers to email them to me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

13. Dave Whitlow

Yes, very much agree although I'd excluded them for SMB deployment as they tend to be small. I do find watching lifeforms suited to passing the time on longer deco stops.

As for moving buddies.... that is a different story and the reason I often dive alone.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  14. nickb

nickb Active Member

You definitely don't want to ever hear about what I've been diving this week.

Clue: the Royal Navy will be joining us tomorrow...

15. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

If you want jealous, I've just returned from four weeks in Cyprus. 28/29 degrees until Saturday when it dropped all the way down to 27. Ah weel six more weeks and roll on Singapore and Australia.

splinter likes this.
  16. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

In Madeira next week, water temperature about 22? - hope I don't cook in my dry suit.:wtf: I was in Cyprus in February last year when the temperature was 18, again in the dry suit.

17. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Done properly it's a very good way to dive.

18. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Two things, but one for the other day:

1) Visited Circuit de Reims-Gueux on my way home today. It made for a lovely little detour.

2) Visited the Emergence du Ressel on Thursday. Was bloody brilliant. Only went down to 40m but the scale of the place blew my mind. Very pleased to have had a few dives in succession binned, so I have a fairly big set of twins at home with the appropriate gas to allow me to have a better look around. Hopefully can get back next month...

19. Dave Whitlow

I completed a (sprint) triathlon today and was 7 seconds faster than the person who beat me by 1 second last time :p

(conditions were really rubbish as we had torrential rain for most of the event)

Wibble, nickb, JohnL and 1 other person like this.
  20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What's a sprint triathlon?