1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I use a belt for supplementary lead when abroad.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I put the lead in pouches on the tank bands. I use a stainless backplate and (membrane) drysuit but only really need 2kg. Will start the week with 4kg and remove it once I've settled in after a couple of dives (weight check at the end). With an aluminium backplate I'd need a couple of kg extra.

What's nice is to not really feel any difference when diving a single cylinder or a twinset. Regs, clips, boltsnaps, torches, SPG all in the same place. Only difference is behind you.

Must have a go at sidemounting using 'standard' 12 litre tins. Wonder if they'll balance OK.

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Well I met John Hewitt and he showed me harness, wing, back plate, single tank adapter and then started telling me how I would have to put it together and that I'd have to source the stainless steel nuts and bolts to hold it together. He was shocked when I told him that he'd got the wrong man - I'm hopelessly impractical. We parted as friends on the basis I'd have to find something else.:) By the time I got back to my daughter's where I'd left management, there was an email from him offering it as a package if I paid the carriage. So I've got a wing on order - don't know when it will come yet.
    He seems to have a lot of stock in his warehouse, which also has around 10 1960's motorcycles in various stages of dismantling. I think that he realised that he was losing a chunk of money that would come in handy.;)

Nick Ward and Vanny like this.
  4. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Came back to the UK this morning after a week in the Red Sea on MV Tala (www.redseaexplorers.com). Diving mojo is restored.
    Next step, get back into drysuit, and then maybe the RB will have the cobwebs blown out of it come the autumn.

Tribal Chestnut, splinter and JohnL like this.
  5. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

First time that I’ve ever had an insurance renewal quote which is less than the previous year.

6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Mine's come through at £7 more than last year. Time to go to the opera.

7. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I’ll still be checking.

Particularly as my gearbox lost 57% of its functionality on the drive home from Yorkshire last night, so it looks like a new dive-wagon will be required.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

You're getting older :)

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  9. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Should I have been getting younger before?

I feel short-changed!

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

When you get properly old the premiums start going up again, particularly travel insurance. We've managed to find a credit card with travel insurance that will keep us going to 80. Fortunately, DAN doesn't seem to worry about age (I think). As part of the baby boomer generation, we reckon that we are at least 10 years younger than our parents at the same age, probably 20, so foreign holidays when we are over 80 will be part of life as normal. Assuming we can afford the premiums. :whistling:

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Tried the new wing in a pool last night and, from the start, very comfortable. Only swim suit and top, so no weights needed - hovering was effortless. The club guy with most experience of wings gave me a few tips and we had a chat - he was impressed by the quality and the simplicity and another lady told me that it looked right for me, so all good.
    Next task is to sort out how to carry weights for dry suit/ sea/ cold water. The red hat integrated weight pockets are too large; I've seen these that look suitable https://www.mikesdivestore.com/products/ist-weight-pocket - other suggestions welcome. The club guy suggested that trim weights on the cam bands might be useful. I'm diving with 12kg in the sea with a bcd - would a steel back plate take this down to 10? The other thing to think about is pocket/s - I have one on my dry suit leg, another to hang off the waistband?
    After thinking about a wing for a year or more, I was nervous whether it would work, especially for the grief I'd get from management if I'd wasted the money. It feels right and I am looking forward to testing it out for a few simple dives before putting the bcd up for sale - what price should I ask for a Mares Dragon, integrated weights, two years old, 30 dives, in good condition?

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I use up to four small weight pouches on the can bands. Each one can take a single 2kg block. I actually need only one in warm water with drysuit.

A 3mm backplate is 2-3kg.

Any additional weight goes in a weight belt.

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Is that on a single tank?

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yup.

Twinsets use 'V' weights between the cylinders (unless they're lashed together as twindies)

15. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I use an SS backplate, trim pockets on the cam bands and a weight belt when diving with a single.

16. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Went swimming with seals yesterday - moderately uncomfortable when you’re not ‘protected’ by diving gear and the vis is shite (true zero), but lovely nonetheless.

splinter likes this.
  17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

18. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Equihen Plage, nr Boulogne.

19. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

img1192.jpg Diving, or at least snorkelling, themed card for our anniversary from our daughter.

Dale Martin, splinter and Doomanic like this.
  20. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Great weekend at Stoney. Completed my deep speciality and as my 5th Speciality also my AOW. Finally got a chance to dive the Stanegarth and a trip down to the Hydrobox, now practice, practice and more practice.