1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Nile that might be a good shout.

Wibble I have bought a AP Inspiration that I collect tomorrow. Everyone at the dive centre I use have them. Also I have got a cracking deal on a unit.

jb2cool rebreathers seem to be a better option as our bodys are not 100% efficent so on twins you waste alot of gas. Also on one dive on my course we done a wreck at 40m and by the time i got to the wreck and done a bit of exploring the current was so strong I use loads of gas. All the other guys on rebreathers used hardly any. Twins sets are good if you have a low gas consumtion rate. Also with that rebreather on your back you have a nitrox mixing machine with you so always got the right gas for the depth. The guys I started diving with also do alot of wrecks around 60m and deeper. So the way I looking at it is why spend more money on open circuit training. I might as well just use the money for the rebreather training.

John let me know I am up for diving when ever your out diving.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I thought you were kidding Lee!

3. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Classic or Vision?
    That is a good call, and one I made later than I should have done. Whilst at Malin Head, a few months after doing normoxic trimix, I realised I should be on a rebreather and the time to do it had been as soon as I was doing any significant depths and decompression.

Don't get rid of the twinset, it makes a useful diluent bank. With a fresh fill of 21/35 you should be able to decant and get six to eight 50m diver out of it before you need it topping up.

In my opinion, for deeper diving, a twinset is never the better choice over CCR and last weekend illustrates this quite well. Saturday we dived SS Valdes, south of Portland Bill, in 53m water and I left the bottom after 40 minutes, with 60 minutes to surface. At the end of the day I took my crack bottle home for a fill and left the rest of the kit on the boat ready for the next dive. On Sunday we dived Gripfast, another 50m dive, and with the same plan. On OC I'd have been chasing gas between dives but instead I could have done another smaller dive without needing to change anything.

Today I dived Chesil Cove with a wetsuit and single tank and it was so easy and right for the dive. However, IMHO, any dive best done on a twinset is even better if done on a rebreather.

4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes agree with all the logic above. I was diving out of Portland last week. Maybe if I get a Chance I’ll write something about what we did.

However, we got 3 days out of 4. 60 mtr ish dive each day. I filled a 3 with 10/52 = £16 in Portland. 305 minutes later I had 60 bar left. Plus O2 and sofnalime my cost of Diving was about £38. The rest of the boat were mainly OC with bills around £200.

Clearly there’s a bit more to it than that but to be honest I just enjoy Diving ccr more than anything else.

Sounds like a good choice to me.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  5. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

I got a ap vision. Collected it today and dropped it off for a service. Once I save up a few more pennys it going for a new handset upgrade. Also collected my tdi rebreather book.

Vanny unit is with nutty and me and tony are in the pool very soon.

Dave Whitlow, JohnL and Vanny like this.
  6. Dave Whitlow

I upgraded my handset to the 2020 and after cable problems installed OSTC cR to provide independent monitoring of PPO2. I'd suggest backup cell monitoring is more important than a pretty handset.

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

@Leeb2018 what was Croatia like ? Did you go to shark Diving , if you did have they got their boat with the lift running ??

8. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

It was good was only there for a short time and a big storm ruinned the vis. Tony said it was the worse diving he done out there. Shark diving have both there boats up and running. Even the one the sank lol

Vanny likes this.
  9. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Which weight belt did you get? After one myself as my BCD was digging the solid weights in my hips when i used my drysuit for the first weekend. Crippling to walk out the water?

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I got a Northern Diver pouch weight belt, that was £17, around £25 including delivery. The pockets are quite small and can take two/three kg as a hard weight or in shot bags - my 3kg shot bags wouldn't fit. Shot bags are provided although they seem a bit flimsy - I've decanted my 3kg bags into their bags and hope for the best - I think that 3kg would be pushing it. Large and XL have six pockets, Medium have four.
    I've loaded up the belt for next week's trip to Capers with 10kg mixed shot/hard and tried it on over shorts. It seemed solidly fixed and comfortable. I'm hoping that this will be enough for the dives, 8kg in the pool on a full tank was an easy descent - I'll put a couple of ankle weights in the bcd pockets and hand them to a buddy at the end of the safety stop to check.

11. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

I was looking at that Northern diver in my LDC,£17. Only just started using my a drysuit and was wearing 10kg on the belt and 4kg in the intergrated at stoney. Diving in Farnes for my first sea water dive in September so am a bit unsure about extra weight. I'm guessing about another 2kg? I have an aqualung axiom BCD and it was pushing the weights into my hips.

12. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Tried the rebreather out for first time last night in the pool and started my training.

That open circuit diving is so nosiey. It is also feels really strange breathing as it so easy at some points I was not sure if I was breathing or not. Now I got lots to learn before I can get the unit to open water.

Vanny likes this.
  13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

You'll soon work out if you aren't breathing. :hurting:

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Dived the M2 submarine and Gertrude out of Portland on Skin Deep with @jps and @Tribal Chestnut yesterday.

Oh what devine conditions. Sunny, warm, calm, good visibility.... British diving at its best.

The M2 is the experimental sub with the aircraft hangar in front of the conning tower and is open so you can swim inside. There's an amazing variety of life on there with loads of large conger eels, shoals of fish and loads of blennies. A first for me though was seeing loads of swimming queenie scallops. Terrific dive.

The second dive was right under Portland Bill in sublime conditions. Ostensibly diving the remnants of an armed trawler, but was so reminiscent of Mediterranean diving with the sandstone blocks providing loads of nooks and crannies for critters. I love dives like that where you very slowly bimble around enjoying the privilege of being there.

That is why British diving is so great. It's the variety and never knowing what you'll see.

jps, Dave Whitlow, Griffalo and 2 others like this.
  15. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

johnl you are right there haha. It so strange how quite it is I felt like everyone had gone home and left me while I was in the pool.

I can not wait to get to red sea on my unit. I heard the fish do not get out of your way on ccr.

Wibble sounds like a good day. I forgot this was happening this weekend would of like to tag along

16. Dave Whitlow

Yep, we saw the Portland dive fleet leaving as we went by, on Fearless. Didn't you stop in Bally Bay with a vibrating prop or something?

We were heading south to SS Valdes but decided it was a bit too rough with the easterlies blowing so dived the ledges by Portland Bill and then went round to Lyme Bay to look for flatties. We were planning to dive the Shambles on the return but the sea said an emphatic No!
    Yep, Portland is a good base for diving and I saw large monkfish and octopus the other day, on Chesil :)

jps likes this.
  17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Portland is a great dive base, but the drive from sussex is tedious at this time of year with the Grockles out in force. So left at 0400ish to get there well before 0700. Could do with a kip though!

See what this week's diving brings. I've had my Nuremberg trip cancelled due to the weather but have managed to transfer over to Skin Deeper for some techies doing a dive in the same range on the second slack that's not out as far as the Nuremberg (35 miles south of Portland). Made it clear that as a bubble-blower, I'd got a very specific range for my gas.

Hoping for a good dive.

18. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Wibble you need a CCR lol

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  19. Dave Whitlow

Yeah, Leigh Bishop has the boat for the week and will be doing deep offshore stuff to max 70m. I declined the space until I knew what they were diving as I'd rather not pay for stuff we can do from Fearless anyway. Glad I didn't as I'll be off diving for at least the next few days,

Aas we passed over the Shambles I grabbed the rail and found to my cost that some knob had failed to safely stow his fishing gear. The result was a hook deeply embedded in my thumb! :eek:
    The only positive was I got to take the fish home!

20. nickb

nickb Active Member

I think Donegal counts as the British Isles, so I beg to differ. I had 160 minutes on, and above, HMS Audacious today.

Props, rudders, massive anchors, torpedoes tubes, Clarkson cases, 13.5 inch shells and the guns from which at least some of them would have been fired.

A tad better than any dive I ever had in Lyme Bay, even if we did have cloud cover and quite some chop on the way out.

So good, we’re going back again tomorrow.

Wibble likes this.