1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Pleasantly knackered after two excellent days of diving.

Friday's Persiania was amazing, best vis this year by a long way. Sunshine, calm seas, and a day out of the office. The wreck was so full of life of all kinds. Took full advantage of my full fill so did my first two hour dive with an hour on deco! Just think of the possibilities when I join the box brigade!

Saturday's dives were great too. Dived my first submarine, UB78. They're such evil things. Amazing how intact it is and how recognisable all the features are from the bow and stern, the conning tower and the deck mounted gun. Definitely one to dive in sidemount with a shovel to excavate the sand.

@jps - you were right, it's a WW1 sub

UK diving really is great.

Tribal Chestnut and Griffalo like this.
  2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

You and @Tribal Chestnut should just Bute the bullet and get a couple of second hand Inspo’s. That way you can buy them, use them till you have decided what unit you really want and then sell it for pretty much what you bought it for

splinter likes this.
  3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Glad your getting some decent diving in. We had an amazing week out of Portland , 4 days club rib 2 days hard boat. Off to gurnsey for 4 days Diving if the weather holds. Starting on the Illinois, can’t wait.

Re switching onto the box. Just an observation on how your mind may be thinking. Past 35/40 mtrs the deco obligation on ccr is much the same as OC accelerated deco. The benefit is only filling 3 ltrs of O2 and air ( or mix ) rather the twinset and stages. Plus obviously on ccr you needn’t worry about buying an optimal mix it’s done on your back for you.

4. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

From my perspective it’d allow me to maximise bottom time and save the arse-ache of having the wrong gas if a dive gets binned for whatever reason.

It’ll make getting fills easier too.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here, won’t be getting one any time soon.

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes exactly. Every dives a nitrox dive and you don’t need to plan the mix. Due to having the optimal gas you can max bottom time and always accelerate deco. Plus its quiet , warmer. Like anything there’s negatives , prep and clean up take longer, but I quite enjoy that.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nitrox? You mean every dive's a trimix dive :)

For me it's the constant tedium of getting the right mix for the dive. Case in point two weeks ago where it was supposed to be 23 metres, but was done on high water so 29 metres. Sure, only 6 metres, but it meant I just used some air and ended up with a ridiculous 28 minute deco obligation on a mere 35 mins bottom time (compared with 7 mins for nitrox 32). On a box it'll always be optimised no matter what depth.

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Trimix ? Can be. I still go air dil to maybe 35mtrs , easy , cheap and I decant so no dive shop. O2 I top up whenever I can. 35 plus I prefer the easier breath of some mix.

For my upcoming trip to gurnsey I’ll take a 3 of 10/50 and air top once or twice. The extra deco penalty won’t matter as my buddy will be on the same. There’s gas on the boat but it’ll save some time and effort just air topping.

Did a nice drift on lulworth banks with my daughter the other week. She was on air , about 18/19 metres I took a look at her (v old ) air computer. 41 mins no stop I checked my handset 166 mins no stop. How I larfed. Then she threw a scollop at me.

8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I shotted my first wreck on Thursday, Apache in the Portland race. I was pleased to find it hooked in first time (we do use a grapnel).

barrygoss and splinter like this.
  9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Beginners luck ;)

I'm sure we've all sat on boats whilst the skipper's been frantically trying to find and catch the wreck.

10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Lovely little dive in Porth Yr Ogof today. Tempered only slightly by breaking a reg whilst crawling around and losing my camera case.

If I get a chance I’ll elaborate some more tomorrow.

11. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Somewhat delayed but a good days diving on Friday, Ghost fishing in Plymouth. Got a Pot off the Elk and surveyed a large Gill net at Hilsea point which was recovered by the second batch of divers. I'm liking the diving with a purpose thing.

Cybes, Graysyid, Vanny and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

My purpose is to have fun. ;)

(but even better if you can achieve something else worthwhile whilst you’re at it)

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I wanted to do that GF trip but was already booked, maybe see you on a boat soon

Griffalo likes this.
  14. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I assume slack. My experiences sailing in the race have been interesting - one in a chartered 42ft by 7ft beam 1920's ex-racer when we missed the inner passage and went through the main race very quickly with over-falls that were kicking the boat all over the place, the other in another more modern charter when the wind and the motor failed and we anchored on the Portland side rather than be swept back into the race - about 70ft of water, all chain let out and the anchor bounced along the bottom for a while and then caught in something solid, chain straight and boat stopped instantly. The next morning, it took three of us hauling at the bow (no winches then!) and the motor, now repaired, going full out - we thought we would have to buoy it, but got there.

15. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I have a proper job again. Yay. Or something.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Coming diving then?

17. Doomanic

Staff Member

With what exactly? My primary torch with a dead battery, BP and OPH with no wing, stage reg and out of date ally 80 with 15/55? :D

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'll lend you some special yellow stuff, just like the PE kit our teacher used to keep for kids who forgot theirs :coldfeet:

Did you not keep your drysuit, mask & fins? All the rest can be easily sourced - I've a spare twinset, wing, regs, torch.... Obviously not a rebreaver

Doomanic likes this.
  19. Doomanic

Staff Member

Yes, I still have the drysuit. It's not like it would fit anybody else... Mask and fins too.

Torch can be sorted (I'd bought replacement batteries for it before I took a break). Not sure on the twinset front; I have arthritis in both shoulder now so there's no chance in hell I'd be able to do any sort of shutdown, never mind a gooey one.

I'm also going to be playing financial catch-up for a while too... :(

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ah, welcome to sidemount. That's like backmount but easier (might be exaggerating slightly there!). You've got two completely independent sources, exceedingly easy access to the valves and trim to die for. It's a lot easier lugging single tins around than heavy twinsets and there's always the smaller tins for recreational depths - my 8.5 litre tins really are the mutt's gnutts.

But years of taking the piss out of ginger sidemounters is hard to swallow!