1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Diving in 28 degrees with just swim suit and UV shirt - bliss. Sort out your buoyancy at 5m and you are good for 25 with just lung control to descend and ascend. Nice enough wreck, but few fish - hope the next dives give a few of the advertised life - including sea snakes? :greedy:

2. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

We refloated the boat yesterday (again) and this time everything was good. New compass bearings installed, a fresh coat of anti-foul and polished she is good to go diving.

Today we are off to the Salsette.

Vanny likes this.
  3. John F

John F Member

Oh that Leffe sounds good, that is my favourite. Off to Spa in Belgium in a few weeks, so will top up there.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Had a wonderful dive on the Celtic today. Loads of life and just plain nice to be there. Sunny and flat calm seas. A fair bit of snot in the water but the water was quite clear. Due to the depth being a advertised for low water and it being high water, ended up using air not Nitrox and 25 mins of deco.

Did discover that sidemount works well on a RIB, but getting back on the RIB is a sod in a weighted harness.

Alas only one dive, but better to have one good dive than two mediocre dives.

5. Dave Whitlow

Great viz on the Salsette today and spent 45 minutes on the wreck, dropping in mid-ships and swimming slowly to the stern and then back to the bow. I ignored the huge scallops on the sea bed but I was tempted to collect a couple of large crustaceans on my journey. Next dive is planned for Wednesday as we look to protect the mussels on the Shambles Bank from predatory plaice.

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for doing your part Dave

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  7. Dave Whitlow

Thanks. It is tough but someone has make an effort to combat these predatory critters. There is also onerous task of making space for the younger scallops around Lulworth. That requires serious focus and also provides excellent opportunities for perfecting skills with lift bags.

8. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Wraysbury you must be desprate. Not to rub it in but off to malta tomorrow for a week then back for a week. Then off to Croatia to complete my decompression theory and advance nitrox. :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

9. John F

John F Member

Good luck mate, enjoy the diving.
    John.

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Beginning to get sorted in Grenada - took two pounds off the weight belt today without any issue. Turtles and puffer fish, enormous lobsters and lots of colourful tiddlers over varied reefs. Yesterday, we did two drift dives, the first the dive leader seemed to be keen on going against the current and it was bloody hard work my air consumption went from its normal 17 to 23 and I'm knocked out today, canning the second dive before entry. This wasn't all bad as I sat with the captain on the flying bridge chatting and saw how it worked on the surface - four yellow smbs and watch for the divers surfacing picking up in turn.
    We had two new to the boat from Montreal who made up their own rules - he was a gas guzzler and she was tiny and sipped air - so he shared her air for a few minutes to equal things out and extend the dive - they got a severe telling-off and told to dive on their own air in future - makes you wonder where they have dived before and whether they were allowed to equalise.

11. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What’s the problem? Seems reasonable to me. I myself would have preferred them to do this earlier on in the dive though so that she had less gas and then switched back to their own gas to continue and finish the dive where he would then catch up to her and finish on similar gas.

At least they are practicing gas sharing. You bet nobody else on the boat has practiced that since training.

12. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Driving around some lovely mountainous pastures, seeing eagles in the wild, and (whilst stopped in a car park for lunch) bumping into some BSAC guys headed to the Sound of Mull - nice to have a diving chat while my club were at it at Vobster and Chesil and I'm at the other end of the country...

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Two good dives on the last day, first on Anina wreck where I got to over 30m (30.4!) whereas the last couple of days have been shallow, second with serious current where, this time, we went with it rather than against, hence a nice drift hovering, watching the scenery pass by beneath. Full report when the jet lag eases.

phantomlurker likes this.
  14. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

After Wednesdays dive got blown out, had a cracking one today on the Persiana.

A good 10m vis, very interesting wreck to poke around and some bloody big old lobsters, huge congers and loads of other fish.

Apparently the vis wasn’t as good as it often is.

Could easily have spent twice as much time on the wreck.

I feel like I’m being left with no choice but to invest in one of those fancy and rather expensive machines.

splinter and JohnL like this.
  15. splinter

splinter Active Member

Setting off to Scarborough in a bit for the first trip of the year on the club's hard boat. Don't know what wreck yet, but it'll be in 30 to 40m. Hopefully it'll go better than the last one of last year, when the shot got dragged off the wreck and we dove hms seabed in 10m+ vis.

16. splinter

splinter Active Member

Hms seabed again! Think the shot went in too early and the still running current dragged it away from the wreck. Still it was good fun being out, we learned a few things that need work and it was good diving with some of the guys from the club. Next one is in 2 weeks away.

17. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

The skipper needs a slap...

18. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Some of these skippers are a bit shit.

Our DO was skippering the RHIB last year and had us roll in a few metres after the shot with a fair old current carrying us away from it, tried to fight our way back to it but gave up.

Ended up a fairly tedious drift dive.

19. splinter

splinter Active Member

The trouble we've got is that there's a limited number of people who can drive the boat and the most experienced ones aren't always available. Yesterday of the 6 of us, only one had done much diving from our boat. The rest of us have only been on it a couple of times.

We're treating this year as a learning year to get as many of us up to speed on all the procedures needed to dive from it. I'm down to do the boat handling course and then the diver cox as soon after that as possible, which I'm really looking forward to.

We're out again in two weeks and have identified a few changes to hopefully improve our chances of hitting the wreck next time.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Need to split it into two skills: driving the boat and shotting the wreck. Pretty much anyone can drive with a few minutes training, but shotting the wreck is a real skill that takes time to master