1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Excellent. Which ones?

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Finally having some quality time with my second wife. Sailing to Oostende later today or tomorrow depending how the preparations go. Seems like a never-ending todo list, but so much nicer than being in the office. Looking forwards to some descent grub and beer in Belgium... moules frite, steak tartare and proper chips... nom nom nom

Even managed to pack the dive kit. Doubt I'll use it, but if the opportunity knocks...

3. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Flat bottomed 'Euros' with Apeks manifold, Apeks WTX-D45, DS4, Red Hat BP and harness.

I should probably do some sort of training on them rather than jumping in for the Carentan on Saturday, so I'll be sticking with my single for this weekend!

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Do fundamentals with @Harvey-NG, he might be looking. I know a guy (@Herrhair ) who'll run you a course

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Looks like pleasant sailing, if you wait until Friday to return you might even broad reach home - much my favourite course, being a lazy sailor

6. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

We have an apartment in Kapparis, which is a couple of kilometres north of Scuba Tech where you were earlier this year.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ooh a nice broad reach. Alas rare as rocking horse droppings as the wind knows where your heading as the wind always seems to be bang on the nose. Gentlemen don't sail to windward.

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Close hauled was always my favourite but then again I was in a racing dinghy rather than a big boat, hiking out hard bum skimming the water.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

IMG_0005.JPG That is exciting in a dinghy.

On a yacht it's quite tiring - the picture was a sail from Newhaven to Lymington via Lake Solent with 35kts on the beam for 4+ hours. Look at the reef in the genoa and the tension on the sheet. The lake was completely devoid of other sailing boats and we discovered the bastards had drunk all the beer in the bar by the time we arrived.

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I was a 505 crew - spinnaker reach in too much wind, flat out on the wire well aft to keep the bow out of the water and trimming to keep the chute at maximum power without tipping it in, bloody terrifying but such tales to tell in the clubhouse later.:jawdrop:

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Single handing a Contessa 32 downwind and needed more power so launched the spinnaker. Wind picked up, oops. So turned her beam on and pinged the sheet, now have a 12 metre triangular flag which I pulled down the companionway without dipping it in the water.

As I was singlehanding there’s no corroborating evidence. Always the way when you get things just right. Of course if there’s an audience then you’re done for. Just like diving!

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

A very pleasant and relaxing trip draws to a close.

Final dive over here (Malta) done, broke all the rules on my final dive by diving with no back-up reg after the valve knob broke off my LH cylinder.

Not sure I’ll be back anytime soon though.

If I come again it’ll either be with my daughter next year or with a rebreather so I can spend a few days visiting the Polynesian, Stubborn, etc, etc.

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Went to Capernwray last weekend and failed to connect with a Hartford group, so a wasted day. Today, organised a trip to Ecclestone Delph on Monday with a couple of others - will sort out my cold water weighting and get first dives with the new club, first time to get my feet wet since February. At the end of next week we fly to Grenada, so the next dives will be in 28 degrees with amazing visibility. :geek:

14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

@JohnL what does ‘failed to connect’ mean?

No show or a bunch of wankers?

15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

The only guy I know had something come up, so I knew no-one and spent an hour accosting strangers without success! My fault as I didn't have any contact numbers to ring. The upside is that I now know the site, changing facilities and entry point. The people I've met so far are fine - all the divers I've met in my limited experience have been easy to get on with. I've booked a liveaboard in Skye next May that will test this on a boat for a week.:whistling:

16. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

That’s a relief - thought you’d stumbled across another bunch of bells!

17. nickb

nickb Active Member

18. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Yesterday we cleared up loads of net and rope from the wreck of HMS Landrail out of Portland. We went down as three teams and I was lucky enough to be in the team that managed to lift most of the net

19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

:geek:Thanks for that it’ll be much more pleasant when I dive it on 31st

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Haven't dived for a whole month and getting withdrawal pains. Still, at least I got some sailing in and filled up the beer coffers with some lovely Leffe. And a long list of jobs & repairs on the boat.

Tried to dive on Saturday but the weather scuppered that plan. So desperate am I that I'm hoping to get a couple of dives in tomorrow off of the local PADI RIB -- if it's going out, it's planned but there's not many people booked on. Have to call first thing to confirm. Haven't dived with them for a couple of years so will be interesting and will need to dial back the expectations.

Feck, I'm that desperate that I'm even considering going to Wraysbury...

Have to empty my twinset of 32% so I can get it filled with some trimix for the Moldavia on the 6th. What's the betting that that trip will be called off... :drowning: