1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. nickb

nickb Active Member

With Nat? I saw you in Becky’s photo

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, Nat was her teammate for the course

3. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

She did really well as you know lol, really chuffed to bits. Made huge strides the last day. x

4. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Nat was an absolutely terrific teammate too x

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

WCMUT...

Arranged a caving trip to the Mendips for a bunch of people from the office. Ten of us in total; used the wonderful Cave And Climb (http://www.caveclimb.com/) to provide the kit and a couple of instructors.

We went to the classic Goatchurch Cavern for our morning session. Had a wonderful time being shown around the cave and it's highspots such as "The Drainpipe" and "Bloody Tight" (yep, no way were my hips and chest going to squeeze through there!).

The afternoon session was in Swildon's Hole in the village of Priddy. That's a wet cave with lots of water flowing through. Completely different from the dry Goatchurch Cavern and was a wonderful experience. Managed to get as far as the "Twenty Foot Waterfall" which was beyond the "Eight Foot Waterfall" which we climbed down and up using a knotted rope.

Bloody brilliant day out. Cannot recommend it more highly to anyone who's curious about the subterranean world beneath our feet.

Now completely knackered after a day of flexing those hidden muscles!

Why didn't I discover this kind of thing 40 years ago!

phantomlurker likes this.
  6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I feel your pain, maybe twenty years ago though.

Super day yesterday in Upper Flood Swallet, which consisted of about six hours of largely crawling with a nice thirty minute boulder choke in the middle. Very pretty cave though.

Swildon's today and we had an interesting but fun, albeit rather short, dive in another little sump between one and two.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice. By dive you mean a swim-through? The guy was saying yesterday that sump 1 is about 3 metres and sump 2 about 8 metres long.

Looks like we've found a use for a spare air!

Must get me one of those undersuits that you can dive / swim in.

Oh, and the most important thing that cheered me up yesterday was that the wife enjoyed the caving. To the point that she'd like to have another go (although she won't be doing any swimming!)

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  8. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Sump I is about a metre or less, I kicked our bags through it today and you can feel your air in the feet on the other side.

It was a dive with a pair of 3 litres and after an initial spot of ploughing a way through with my feet soon got to a point at which I couldn’t physically force myself any further on.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

So a dive with the tins but with no harness, or just the Farr World one? Mask? Any vis? Assume just your caving over an undersuit?

10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Yes, little Warmbac one. I could see my fingers if I touched my mask.

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

We moved in last Friday. Wood floor had been laid throughout and a painter had made good as the skirtings had to be removed. The tiler for bathroom/en suite was delayed, I can hear him above my office finishing off and the fitted kitchen, that was missing shelves and fixings and washing mc/ tumble drier/dishwasher being sorted later today. We are still surrounded by lots of boxes and, bizarrely, have found that we have surplus furniture despite moving to a significantly bigger house (that has less rooms!). We've joined a gym and I've signed up to BSAC Hartford.
    But the real treat for today was to get internet back. :singing:

12. splinter

splinter Active Member

Congratulations, John. Hope you settle in quickly.

13. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Finally got my next two speciality courses booked for next month at Stoney (wreck and Drysuit). Some actual diving again rather than watching videos on youtube and reading forums.

JohnL and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  14. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Go for it and then go diving. Practise, practise, practise, etc. Need I go on?

Actually try the sea

Graysyid likes this.
  15. nickb

nickb Active Member

In early November, I lost a Kent Tooling 100m composite reel and a CO2 SMB when I jumped-in on the Kronprinz Wilhelm.

I had a good idea where it might be and today I jumped in on the opposite tide, took a bearing and scootered-off into the void. I came across it after a couple of minutes. A little bit worse for were after almost 6 months beneath Scapa Flow but it's still working.

[​IMG]

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Wow!

Amazing how rusty the stainless is.

17. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Sounds like a needle in a haystack - well found

18. nickb

nickb Active Member

It's mostly cosmetic. I'll strip it and polish it up when I get back home.

19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

John Perrin would like to see that ! Well found.

20. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Bag is packed, passport is pocketed and I am waiting for the taxi to the airport on my way back to Cyprus for three and a half weeks. No wonder I'm cheered up.

JohnL likes this.