1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Superb! Hope she enjoys it.

Would you have time for her to do OW out there if she enjoys it?

Keep an eye out for the angel sharks, my daughter loved them.

splinter likes this.
  2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I'm now qualified as a BSAC Sports Diver. :joyful: Then, today, I did a dive on the Zenobia - no. 5 wreck in the world they claim. Certainly looked massive, although vis wasn't great as there has been a storm for the last few days. With training from Peter Crane, my buoyancy has improved leaps and bounds and I've got comfortable in my dry suit. Still lot's to learn.

3. splinter

splinter Active Member

Not this time, but hopefully later in the year we might have a trip to Malta and she can do it there.

Two nice dives this morning, lots of life and on the first dive and a couple of little swim throughs and overhangs to explore. I was getting cold by the end of dive 2 so might borrow a 7mm suit tomorrow. We had a look for Angel sharks, but no luck today.

Off to Puerto del Carmen tomorrow to dive the wrecks, which I've done before, then back in the afternoon to go to the museum with Holly.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  4. splinter

splinter Active Member

Well done on sports diver, John.

I dived on the zenobia after my friends wedding in Cyprus 10 years ago. They're going back for the anniversary and have invited us across, so hopefully I'll get to do it again in october.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Having come back from Cyprus on Wednesday, we set off for Cheshire the next day and back on the hunt for the new house. First, pokey and we hated it, second, which we both thought we would not like, was amazing and we then headed for the third which we thought was going to be the one. First, we arrived at a gate courtesy of the sat-nav that had a small notice saying the house we wanted could not be accessed - had to back away 50 yards before we could find a place to turn around. Regroup and find the way in - past an enormous shed full of cows. Got out of the car to the strong aroma of dung - decided not to bother going around the house.

So, made a stupid offer for house two, which was already reduced in price as it was one of two to complete the sale of the development of 16 barn/stable conversions and after a bit of negotiation, the offer is accepted. We still think that we are in a dream; we never thought that we would find one that was so good.

Big Joe, Wibble, Vanny and 1 other person like this.
  6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Stepped outside and the snow had a real crunch - perfect for skiing, I thought. Hang on, I'm in East Anglia and I don't ski any more. ;) Never mind, the walk to the village shop was pretty and bracing. The A140 is blocked, Fressingfield a nearby village is cut off and the road to our nearest town has 3ft snowdrifts. The house is toasty, we have enough food in the fridge/freezer - sounds like a good day to spend watching Netflix.:)

7. John F

John F Member

And I am supposed to be testing race cars at Goodwood tomorrow.

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

You need some hints from ice racers.:whistling:

9. John F

John F Member

Yes, they are good bits kit. I have a feeling Goodwood will be closed. Silly time of year for racing anyway.

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

The latest BSAC mag has an article about Ray Woolley, an elderly diver who got a Guiness record as the oldest, completing a dive on the Zenobia on his 94th birthday. I dropped a mail of congratulation to his club, saying what an inspiration he was - I have, potentially, more than 20 years diving to go! Reply below:

"Hi, my name is Dave, I am the diving officer at RAF Akrotiri which Ray Woolley has been involved with for many years. I enjoy being Ray's regular dive buddy as he calls me young Dave and at 62 that works for me. I have forwarded your e mail to Ray."

splinter likes this.
  11. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

After a stalled start 15 years ago, a quick and dirty POW course last summer, and a winter of lake dives to achieve Sports diver, I today reached my dream of diving with plentiful fish in blue tropical waters, and it's was truly stunning. Makes it all worthwhile! Not looking forward to donning the 5mm gloves and hood when I get home though...

(And true to form, earlier this week I also discovered dives can be blown out even in St Lucia!)

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Went for a dive today in a puddle - Buckland - which is hardly deep, although we did discover an old sump pit which drops down to 17 metres.

The good news was as I ascended I could hear loads of my middle ear gunge coming out. Although not 'cured' my middle ear is definitely better than this morning. (Been suffering from fluid in the ear since my last dive a month ago when I was a little congested and couldn't clear properly) Can't help think it would be even better if our planned 40 metre dive wasn't blown out!

jps, Tribal Chestnut and JohnL like this.
  13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Last week, I spent all week waiting for the phone to ring to confirm that we had exchanged on our house sale/purchase - day after day, I kept getting snippets of information but no result. Today it happened :smuggrin, strangely, it felt like an anticlimax after all the waiting. On 12 April, we leave Suffolk and drive to Shropshire, stay in a Premier Inn overnight and move in on Friday 13th :greedy: It's 1881 outside and brand new inside and an hour away from Hartford BSAC.

splinter, Vanny and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  14. John F

John F Member

Congratulations John, let’s hope the 13th is a good one for you.
    All the best.
    John

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Loads of things cheered me up today...

Had a superb dive in the Cambrian Slate Mine. An amazing location both to get to and inside. The diving really was the best underground diving experience I've had as it's interesting seeing different geology and all the mining artefacts. Huge amount of effort for a dive as it takes literally hours to lug the kit down and change from your overalls to dive kit, then lug it all out again, not to mention the 600 mile round-trip! But the diving most definitely is worth it.

The vis was really good, but the black rock really sucks out all light pointed at it! There's loads of shafts to explore next time we're there.

Other things that cheered me up:
    * The simple act of shortening the dump valve string on my sidemount wing has completely fixed the dumping problem.
    * Wore a head-mounted torch on my helmet which made manipulating lines and clips so much easier. Still used an umbilical primary for 'big light' but now there's no problems of it not pointing at my hands when manipulating stuff.
    * Wore a set of caving overalls + wellies + kneepads to climb down and up: absolutely the tool for the job - will be hosing all the mud off in a while
    * Stayed in an amazing caving cottage in northwest Wales where the view was astounding; the Cave And Crag club members so friendly and the welcome as warm as I've ever seen. Even did some single-rope-technique climbing training in their barn. As for the staggering beauty of driving through wales... Definitely 11 out of 10.

Last weekend's dive was awful. Lots learned and sorted out in the pool this week. Then there's this utterly amazing dive as a result. There must be Karma: for every awful dive there's an amazing one just waiting around the corner.

Now to get out there and pressure wash the muck off my bags and oversuit, plus wash the car inside and out!

Big Joe, phantomlurker, jps and 2 others like this.
  16. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I got my BSAC Sports Diver card today :joyful: I qualified in February, they've had a problem in supply. I'm also in touch with a Cheshire club that seems very friendly, judging by the email responses from the membership secretary. May soon be able to get my feet wet.

17. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Finally got a dive in today. 35 mins in Portland harbour on the Spainiard or craiside. Vis about 1-2 metres. Went as a 3 and came out as 3 - individuals! All good though nice to get in and the sea. Hopefully similar tomorrow.

jps and Dave Whitlow like this.
  18. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Went out on Fearless and we dived the Binnendyjk. There was an annoying swell and viz an acceptable 2 metres and temperature over 8c. A couple of the guys adopted lobsters too :)

Vanny likes this.
  19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Another good dive Sunday. Took the rib down to durdle door for a drift. Couple of metres viz, nice rocky bit of life about few Scollops around , left them for next time. Very pleasant 45 min bimble. Some of the flattest seas I’ve seen for a while. Good to get back in and do some easy dives with a few basic skills over 2 days. Bit of dsmb and hanging around at 6 metres. Things are looking up.

JohnL likes this.
  20. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

My Mrs completed her GUE Fundamentals course yesterday. She did this with Neil Powell (who's a lovely chap) at NDAC over two cold and damp weekends.

#2240 jb2cool, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018