1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Good day, our offer on a new house on the Shropshire/Cheshire borders was accepted today and a hospital doctor decided that a place on my forehead, which could have been malignant, wasn't serious.

Vanny, Big Joe, Tel and 3 others like this.
  2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

First dive in two months today. Only at the local pond but it was still nice to get back in.

All being well I shall take the little one there next Sunday for a splash unless I can get out to sea.

Zubar, NickPicks and splinter like this.
  3. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

My wife left me and went to the Maldives with our son while I went to a Conference in Budapest.

While BUD was cold, it pissed down on her island, so much so that she may miss her flight home!

Wibble, Doomanic and JohnL like this.
  4. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Needed to use some of this years remaining leave. Choice was a week with the Inlaws or TDI Advanced Nitrox & Helitrox.

..I chose the latter, really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.

splinter, Zubar, Wibble and 1 other person like this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Where did you do it? It's a great course, totally changed my outlook on diving.

6. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Vobster & NDAC with Mark Powell. The thing I really liked was that Fundies told me what I was doing wrong. Mark showed how to do it right.

..now need to get lots of practice in!

Zubar and Wibble like this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Excellent. May the practice begin!

Will be at NDAC on Sunday 10th with @Tribal Chestnut if you're interested.

Griffalo likes this.
  8. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Can't do the 10th as I still have to placate the wife and I'm already down for Vobster Santa on the 17th. Would be up for something in January though.

9. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

10. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

it took a whole year for my wrist to heal combination of ganglion on the tendon and torn cartiidge. still have to use a support if Im using large telephoto lenses.

Wibble likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hate this getting old malarkey: things take a long to heal and hangovers are best avoided. Still, we have our health and can do some wonderful outdoor activities which many people just can't.

12. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Get. A. Re. Breather!

13. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Wasting. Your. Breath.

splinter and furryman like this.
  14. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Maybe old people shouldn't be lugging heavy cylinders over hills and crawling about in holes in the ground and should get a rebreather and just dive off sensible dive platforms (boats with diver lift, kettle and microwave).

I discovered one advantage of my advanced youth was coming second in my age group in my first triathlon (there were only three of us). In that event I merely needed to finish whereas, sadly, I now have a target to beat in April, when I do the next one.

15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

At my last BSAC lecture, we had a guided tour around a real rebreather, very clever, but also pretty scary - I can understand the amount of training needed. :whistling:

16. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I've been looking on the internet for a holdall for my diving gear - off to Malta in January and will be diving in a dry suit. Decided to look around Norwich as we were there - John Lewis, around £130 :jawdrop: Then went into Castle Mall and saw that Bags were having a massive sale - decent bag with wheels, 109l, £149.99 down to £39.99, bargain. But no, there were signs all round the shop saying 40% off marked prices so my £149.99 bag cost £23.99 with a 10-year guarantee :) I was very tempted to buy two.:whistling:

17. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It's often not a bad idea to NOT use standard dive bags as it's hard to hide what's inside
    when festooned with brand logos :)

Best dive bags ever are blue and come from Ikea for 68p :) Going on a dive hol? Get loads
    they eat kit, handle wet gear easily, work as a changing mat and keep scummy still wet
    things away from dry on the way home + if you leave them behind who cares.

I have a decent sized rucksack type bag for kit, but it all gets double bagged in the Ikea as well.
    Often a BC etc/ might have a bit of water left in that can leak out and bags doe sometimes split.
    If you are going to carry the bags over they might as well start working straight away.

Can also get zipped Ikea which are great as the zip works on three sides and yes actually does
    make a massive changing mat. They are about £5

18. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Instead if feeling sorry for myself, unable to dive today and all that, I booked my first family diving holiday.

Only a short one, five nights in Lanzarote, but it'll be fun and give the little one a chance to use her eyes underwater.

19. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Where in Lanzarote are you going and have you decided on a dive centre?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Going to use @Tel 's favourite (Calipso) in Costa Teguise.

The others I contacted (Manta, Rubicon) seemed pretty good too, but all came down to the best deal on accommodation (still too much but that's the joy of the school hols).