1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Because 12s are the sensible option and we all know Wibs doesn't do sensible... :D

barrygoss and Zubar like this.
  2. nickb

nickb Active Member

FTFY

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  3. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I thought 3s was the sensible option?

hawk likes this.
  4. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

2x1.5 are what he really needs.

5. Doomanic

Staff Member

Do you think for even one minute that when Wibs finally gets his deathbox that he'll use the same tins as 99% of the planet?

furryman likes this.
  6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I like to think of him as a pioneer.

clique likes this.
  7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

So why did you dive 12's for backmount? The same argument would have applied there too.

I thought you liked 'standard' kit? If so, see what other potential sidemount buddies are using and match your kit to them. It makes gas planning easier etc.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

With sidemount, there's less standardisation. Some of my diving's likely to be in places where I've got to lug it miles; lighter is better. 7's are good, but 10's give a bit more gas.

If I start [annoying people by] diving sidemount off of boats to the deeper depths that I'm diving backmount, then I'd be using twin 12s. For recreational depths, twin 10's are fine and a bit lighter - circa 12kg as opposed to 14.5kg (plus valves and gas!)

Whilst the fundies "dive the same size, it's easier to plan" mantra is vital when planning more strenuous dives, some flexibility is fine most of the dives I do, especially buggering around in quarries where I always end up throwing away gas at the end of the day.

Same with diving in mines; I'd really appreciate a lighter load to lug up the hills.

Anyway, with Sidemount, I've always the option of strapping on an additional bottom stage and a couple of deco stages... Oh, it's so sodding heavy....!

My bloody ankle's still not right (sprained it in September). Reckon it'll take another couple of months to stop aching.

9. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

How about a bandolier of SpareAirs? Use one up, then move to the next one, like a belt-fed machine gun.

NickPicks, splinter, Zubar and 2 others like this.
  10. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

In my opinion and experience 10s are just about the wrong size for everyone and every type of diving. (And this is despite me doing most of my rec stuff with 300 bar 7s).

They are too short to trim out nicely (more so in BM) and kit up with, don't have enough gas for 2 decent dives (although I can usually get 2 dives at rec depths with my club) and complicate gas planning.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hmm...

12. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Now have to decide between two offers on our house, one that needs a mortgage (that is agreed in principle), the other £2,000 lower with cash sitting in the bank. Next task to find somewhere to live in Cheshire.

I have found a BSAC club in Hartford, probably around half an hour away:
    "We are a family friendly club, with around 75 members. We have over 25 instructors who can cover almost any BSAC course, or SDC. Amongst that we have 2 National Instructors as well and several advanced instructors. So if you don't manage to complete your Sports Diver, we will help you finish that off. We have our own RHIB which we take out most weekends and even mid week in the diving season. We also have a very active dive rota with trips already planned to the Farne Island's and Islay next year, with more to follow.
    We have a very active social calendar as well with summer BBQ's, Christmas parties, photo competitions etc. Membership is £110, plus your BSAC membership. Once a member you have access to our compressor, air fills are free to members. We can train you in the use of the compressor therefore giving you the ability to complete your own fills. If you are an active diver, the membership more or less pays for itself, with most dive centres charging at least £4 a fill. We also offer Nitrox at cost prices, as we have our own O2 bottles."

13. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Sounds great don't delay! Islay is lovely if you get to go.

14. Doomanic

Staff Member

As an honorary Yorkshireman, I'd have to say take the higher offer or ask the cash buyer to increase theirs, assuming you have proof of available funds. As you haven't found a new house, speed is not a necessity so there's no need to rush.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ripped my dryglove this weekend and couldn't stuff the "gas migration" string back under my cuff so my arm slowly filled with water.

WCMU... My Fourth Element Arctic top was really good. Loads of water but it kept me warm.

Going to try an elastic band to tie my string on to. Should mean I can pull the string hard and break the band. Might try a thin O-ring too.

16. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Dived Hodge Close last Sturday - awesome site... didnt venture into the caves, but did do the sump...

still ache from lugging all the kit back and forth.. but totally worth it... :D

Wibble likes this.
  17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

How far and does it compare with Dinas?