1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Nothing wrong with that, I did the same (without the shit red thread). I think my crotch strap is made out of an old weight belt

2. not my Nick

not my Nick New Member

(without the shit red thread) :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Looks nice. Certainly neater than my stitching would have been, although maybe the contrasting colour makes it easier to see where you've been and match it up.

4. not my Nick

not my Nick New Member

THANK you nickpicks! :D - evidently not quite easy enough, but I did do it in the dark sitting outside by the chiminea... </excuses>

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Rescuing our cave 'leader', who frequents this site but shall remain nameless, after he slipped and got wedged in a very tight little rift deep inside Sidcot Swallet.

splinter likes this.
  6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

That's not fair.

7. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice one Centurion. Was it a good one? Ropes involved?

9. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Oh yeah and I am likely going diving next weekend for the first time in blooming ages! It may be a quarry but I'm very excited. Operation get back underwater is go!
    C

splinter and Wibble like this.
  10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Life's not fair young Dominic.

No, the ropes came later - trying to get him out of the Lobster Pot, after the rest of us were safely up, of course.

Ropes would not have helped for the 'real' rescue. He was seriously wedged in having slipped down a couple of metres, he did very well to keep his cool actually.

His girlfriend had gone down first, then he followed, slipped and fell. He was held in place by his belly and ribs, so no amount of pulling from above helped. I suggested his lady squeeze into the rift below him so he could push off from her shoulders, but his weight was too much - she just couldn't support his bulk. We had to get her back up and out of the way so I could get down.

I then squeezed into the rift below him and managed to orientate myself so that he could stand on my shoulders and push himself up while I took the load.

It worked and inch by inch we got him free! I was starting to get a little concerned so it was a huge relief.

He did at one point ask if I had BSAC toolkit so I could 'enlarge' the opening, but alas, no - the beauty of caving is not having to carry all that shit.

And to think he wants to join the CDG. Fucking mental.

Zubar and Wibble like this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Struth! It's every claustrophobic's worst nightmare. Still at least there's no time constraints such as running out of gas. Sounds useful in terms of experience gained your all.

And everyone lived.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  12. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

It was a rewarding and ultimately enjoyable experience, even if not always 'in the moment'.

& no one has been put off.

Hopefully we'll have a chance to head down Upper Flood Swallet next week, which can be a bit of an epic.

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

On a five-day recce looking for places to live South of Manchester. A good day, finding a couple of places that we'd like to live near and rather more that we wouldn't. :whistling: Our dismal geography is improving by the day.

splinter likes this.
  14. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Our house was put on the market three weeks ago. We'd got an offer before today's Open Day - now got a second a chunk higher. Another offer or two are on the cards; there were seven viewings today. It looks like a deal will be struck with someone on Monday. With property deals, you are never sure until you have exchanged contracts but it looks like the move to somewhere south of Manchester is on. Next stage is to find a rental house near there to start the search for a permanent home.
    The other priority is to get my BSAC Sports Diver done before we move.:whistling:

Wibble, Big Joe, Zubar and 1 other person like this.
  15. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Sounds like you've done well , good luck !

16. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I actually went diving today! Only NDAC but 101 mins and learnt some string skills so very pleased. Also I got a proper, cold 260bar fill after having my twins o2 cleaned. Cave fill!

Big Joe, splinter and Doomanic like this.
  17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Spent the day in Wraysbury in my sidemount kit. Spent this week fettling the kit and added more weight to counteract the winter plumage.

At last it feels like I'm finally getting the hang of it and had a nice long dive feeling really comfortable in the water.

Now want to try the kit in the sea.

Also decided that I'll get a pair of steel 10 litre tins for it. The ali80s are fine but need a lot of weight. Anyone flogging a pair perchance?

18. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Why 10s and not 12s?

19. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Lighter and smaller, but still plenty of gas.