1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Met my BSAC trainer today. He outlined the Sports Diver course, lots of weekly lectures and we'll be ready to head into Open Water in December/January. As some of the others are still in wetsuits, we might have to go somewhere else (he said). Somewhere else? Somewhere warm - Spain or Malta. :whistling: So, it looks like I'll come back from Madeira where, weather willing, I'll put a few dives in and set off a week later for some more. :p

phantomlurker, Mako-JD and Vanny like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's not much to write home about the bow of the Rondo*. Rather dark and not a lot there TBH. Much nicer further up the wreck where there's lots more life

Spent an hour and a half on it today. A very special wreck indeed. Was low springs so the 15 mins at 6 metre deco was spent out of the current behind the rudder in amongst a school of fish feeding.

Nice. Very pleased to tick that one off the list.

*For those not familiar with the Rondo, it's a very rare wreck in the Sound of Mull that sits at about 50 degrees down a steep slope with the bow at 50 metres and the rudder at six metres.

3. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

[​IMG]
    This one? 50m? Did you take a shovel?

B

4. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

The sun shone today, and I finally managed to get my first ever salty sea dives accomplished! A little bimble around under Swanage pier, followed by a nice 50odd minute drift drive off Old Harry. So pleased to finally have got under the sea for the first time, great fun. It's been a good week!

NickPicks, Mako-JD, splinter and 4 others like this.
  5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

You always remember the "firsts", the sea is so different than fresh water.

phantomlurker likes this.
  6. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

True. It helped to reinforce my respect for the water, whilst assuring me that I shouldn't be daunted by it. The drift was amazing even with little wildlife on show.

7. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

A trip to the Mendips today for what was going to be a day out with the YSS (northern folk), however we ended up joining a group from Kent Uni as they were visiting Swildon's Hole.

It was very wet and consequently quite nippy, especially having to wait for another group to get clear of the 20" pitch before we could descend.

Anyone not familiar with Swildon's, which is probably most, would do well to familiarise themselves with it as we had an absolutely cracking time. Lots of small waterfalls to climb up and down, plenty of awkward bits and some wonderfully high sections that are just asking to be investigated further.

Our jaunt culminated in the arrival at Sump I, which then requires a short free dive to gain entry to Swildon's 2. The 'dive' was a little daunting for a big softie such as myself, but there wasn't much too it - crawl up to the sump, deep breath, close eyes, plunge under the water and haul yourself along the guide rope for a metre or so, exit other side feeling suitable invigorated. The only disconcerting moment was having to push my bonce through as my helmet scraped on the roof/soffit/whatever.

Sadly we didn't have time to explore further due to the time lost, so we turned and headed back.

I never imagined myself crawling and climbing about underground, & certainly not doing it whilst submerged, but it's bloody brilliant fun. Not sure if I'd ever do serious cave diving, but then again I wouldn't rule it out.

Wibble and phantomlurker like this.
  8. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

I'm by no means a caver, and it's many years since I've been in Swildon's, but always felt a bit different from other places I've visited. I think the triangle manhole entry into a full stream sets the tone! Sounds like you had a great time

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  9. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Bags are packed, taxi is booked for 07.30, boarding passes are printed and folded into passports. Nice fried breakfast at Newcastle Airport in the morning (hang the expense - I'm on holiday) and then off for a decent sojourn to Cyprus. What's not to like?:):):cool::cool:

splinter and Wibble like this.
  10. Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan New Member

What cheered me up today - we have a family whatsApp group, parents, my sisters, in laws etc.

My sister puts a message up asking what I had been up to - I replied that I had been doing Trimix stuff for two days. She then googled the word 'trimix'...carnage followed and I may have to never see my family again!

Try it.... ☺

Wibble, NickPicks and Dave Whitlow like this.
  11. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Erectile disfunction is nothing to be embarrassed about - you are amongst friends :)

Wibble and Dave Whitlow like this.
  12. Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan New Member

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

13. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Two nice relaxed 40 minute dives on Zenobia. 27 degrees in water. Lovely 'T' shirt diving.

Matt Jordan and Cornish Joss like this.
  14. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

What did you go for?

Has it arrived? Dived it yet?

Pics?

15. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Santi eMotion+ as to 'has it arrived yet' well it is in the country and has been here for coming up to a month but it's at Rich Walkers house and getting our schedules to line up is proving tricky. I suspect it'll be November or maybe December before I get it.

16. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

WCMUT: Just changed energy suppliers and had my final statement of account. £170 in credit. Get in!

Mako-JD likes this.