1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Which dive outfit did you go with? Good? Recommended?

Currently scoffing a "Big Boy Rooster Breakfast" at the Red Rooster transport caff, just off the M6 in Penrith. 340 miles down, 220 miles to go to Oban

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Hurry up ! don't like the look of the forecast much for you. Hope you can find some good shelter and getting diving.

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

We brought him home last Wednesday as we felt that he would do better in familiar surroundings; still very poorly and unable to eat. The hospital told us that, if we couldn't get him to eat, we should bring him back and they would insert a peg so that food could be put straight into the stomach. We felt that this was a step too far and decided that we would have to do the decent thing rather than put him through more trauma.
    Yesterday, he was impossible to get food down with a syringe and he was pawing at this jaw (he had a broken temporal bone in the skull that the jaw connects into). By the evening, we had decided that he wasn't going to make it and we were both in tears. We think that he must have heard us, as today, he has been a different cat, walking round the room talking, using his tray and not fighting us when we give him food, antibiotics and eye drops. We are now crossing fingers and toes that the improvement continues - he isn't out of the woods yet.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Alledgedly we're off at 0800. Just assembled my kit in the dark and its blowing an absolute hooligan. If they do go out it's just proof that all the south coast skippers are pussies. Must be the porridge that they all chow down on here!

Shipping forecast for Malin:
    • West veering northwest 7 to severe gale 9.
    • Rough or very rough, becoming high or very high.
    Only one more worse sea state after that: "phenomenal"

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Good luck !

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Rather you than me, Wibs. Best of luck.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

We met at 0800 this morning, I was wearing my drysuit as protection against the wind and rain - a full gale. Mike at Puffin Dive Centre said that it may calm down so, sceptically, we agreed to meet at 10:30 to see if we'd be going out.

Staggeringly the wind abated and some sun came out for a visit. So we ended up going diving across the sound of Oban in the lee of the island. Sure, the vis wasn't too much to write home about, but we managed two drifty dives in very light current on the steep walls common here.

What a surprise!

Tonight's blowing old boots again with lashing rain. Tomorrow's forecast is for F4 westerlies.

Can't fault the excellent service and facilities at Puffin Dive Centre which has one of the best stocked dive shops I've ever seen. Their dive boat is very unusual but fully enclosed. More later.

JohnL and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  8. nickb

nickb Active Member

F8 westerlies here in Orkney with a forecast of 9s tomorrow.

9. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

WCMUT - my drysuit is on its way back to me having had new seals :)

Perhaps I will get wet this weekend after all (not literally with any luck :))

10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. I am glad to say we have much less wind in the forecast so it seems we are diving tomorrow :)

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Second day of diving Heather Island. Nice to be diving TBH. I dived with a couple of hard core photographers, wow, the kit they have! All to take snaps of little nudies.

Hope tomorrow's better and we can venture out of Oban.

The good news is the vis seems to recover pretty quickly.

12. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Wibs you know there is a fine still in that there Oban. Just sayin...

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Visited it today. One of the benefits of diving within a mile of the dive centre.
    Just had a wee dram for a nightcap.

Hoping for a different dive tomorrow. Even considering using the sidemount kit for a larf.

JohnL likes this.
  14. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

I married the love of my love on Monday - she's clearly a keeper as she's now told me to get back diving as I've had a little break in the run up to the wedding. Hopefully something gentle on Friday!

Zubar, splinter, Wibble and 1 other person like this.
  15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Many congratulations. I dragged my bride to sailing weekends on the coast in the summer and lakes/reservoirs in the summer; she waited for me on shore. Now, I do much the same to go diving. We celebrated our 40th this year.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

We're celebrating our 30th anniversary this week and next in Scotland. This week we're in Oban whilst I go diving -- she doesn't. Next week we're in a nice hotel and doing a week for her.

Congratulations @phantomlurker may you have a wonderful life together

phantomlurker and Mako-JD like this.
  17. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Thanks guys! It's not a complete step into the unknown, we've been together for about 17 years so it was probably about time...
    Actually it's thanks to getting married that made me get off my arse and get qualified so that I can enjoy some exotic waters on honeymoon. Looking forward some blue water!

JohnL likes this.
  18. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Got mine qualified - mind she only does warm water and prety fish, but if I am at Farnes or Eyemouth/St Abbs and there is space on the boat, she will come along to be cake monitor.

phantomlurker and JohnL like this.
  19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

WCMUT... Dived on the Hispania and Thesis in the Sound of Mull. Great visibility; really great dives.

Rondo's slated for tomorrow, but extremely weather dependent.

Vanny likes this.
  20. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Good choice! I went to Scapa for a week on return from our honeymoon. Congrats by the way!

phantomlurker likes this.