1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Thanks. Might have to have a drive and try that one day.

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

I seem to have become a BSAC member. Found a club In Scarborough who have a hard boat and a rhib and seem to be very active.

Looking forward to my first dive with them on Saturday. Not sure what we're diving on yet, but it'll be a 30-40m wreck. I've also booked on a trip to the Farnes in October with them. First of many I hope.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Tribal Chestnut, furryman and JohnL like this.
  3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Two successes today - signed up for a new BT broadband as our previous was under 4Mb, arrived and tested at 30Mb compared with "up to 52Mb". An online chat with BT assures me that I'll be up to 50 by Monday; I'm keeping a copy of the chat :whistling:
    Secondly, completed my log for last weekend's dives - SAC of 16 for both. There was some estimation involved, but allowing for that, it's the first time I've got below 20 in a dry suit.

Tribal Chestnut and Big Joe like this.
  4. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

'Finished' TDI Helitrox today, many thanks to @timmyg.

5. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Was also great to meet and dive with @Dale Martin today!

timmyg likes this.
  6. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

Finished my week of boot camp with @timmyg . It was an awesome week and I learnt a lot but my body couldn't quite keep up with my enthusiasm and my performance in the water today was poor. In hindsight, 3 hours of sleep followed by 3 hours of driving prior to completing my most challenging dive to date probably wasn't the best course of action. Got my ITT & Advanced Nitrox cards this week but Helitrox was just beyond my grasp.
    I won't be giving up; practice, practice, practice then I'll be back for round 2!

@Tribal Chestnut deserved his Helitrox card given his performance on the dives today, especially since his drysuit was leaking and one of his team mates was not quite on their game...

splinter, Tribal Chestnut and timmyg like this.
  7. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Given that you only started diving at the end of last year, I thought you turned in a brilliant performance @Dale Martin.

splinter and Dale Martin like this.
  8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Well done to both of you.:)

Dale Martin and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  9. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes well done guys.

Dale Martin and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  10. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Guys, well done to you both. I didn't get to bed until 1 last night, and was up at 5 so I feel your pain @Dale Martin. You know you can do all the skills mate, you have done them independently during the course to a very good standard. But the course fatigue, tiredness, self pressure etc... means that these things happen. As I alluded to yesterday, I've been in your position myself. You know that third DSMB we saw on the surface yesterday? That was one that was ditched due to a balls up on their course with Mr P. And the student on that course who balls'd it up was a technical instructor himself. Sometimes these things happen.

Enjoy Oben next week. Go diving. Have a laugh, and look at it come October.

I'll email you tomorrow.

TG

#2030 timmyg, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  11. splinter

splinter Active Member

I finally managed to dive in the sea yesterday with the new club. The hard boat is small compared to some of the commercial boats but comfy and enough space for 6 divers and 2 crew, and it has a lift.

We did a short, shallow, 8-10m first dive while waiting for slack on the wreck. Vis was pretty poor, but there was lots of life. I love the fiesty little crabs that rear up at you.

The wreck, whose name escapes me (Norhilda maybe?) lies in 35m, but after a problem with the shot dragging, we ended up diving HMS seabed. Shame as the vis was really good, but it was nice to get out on the boat and get in the sea.

When we got back to Scarborough I'd foolishly volunteered to help clean the bottom of a yacht in preparation for a race today. Myself and another member of the club did a side each and got the worst of it off in about half an hour. It was bloody hard work and I was knackered by the end. Made a bit of cash for club funds though.

It was nice to be diving with a club. They were very welcoming, especially when they found out I have some woodworking skill as there's a couple of things need fixing on the boat. They're an active club who dive in the sea often, so hopefully I'll get a lot of diving done with them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

12. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

A club with a hardboat is a wonderful thing. I was fortunate enough to stumble on a club with an offshore 105 with lift, coded for 12 persons, although best with 6-8 divers.

Velvet swimming crabs, not worth the effort. Edible and spider crabs are more worthy.
    HMS seabed isn't the best dive. Since we switched from 56lb weight to grapnel we've avoided that dive.
    Boat maintenance can be entertaining and you'll probably get chance to drive it later so those who usually drive can get a dive too.

splinter likes this.
  13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I got the bill through for my new drysuit today and it wasn't quite as bad as I had feared. I was buying a drysuit and undersuit combo and the person I bought it from did me half price on the undersuit.

JohnL likes this.
  14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Picked up my drysuit tonight off of Dennis. Nice clean replacements to the socks.

Just in time for our dive on the Playa Finnesterre on Friday. Looked at the chart for this one: 141 degrees and 30 (nautical) miles -- just over on the French side of the Channel. I do hope @jps is ready for the long steam:)

jps likes this.
  15. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

So a couple of days ago I picked up my new (to me) car. Having worried it wouldn't be quite what I wanted - despite it being the fave of the Mrs - it's a beaut and every day I fall more in love with it. Just need to give it a suitable name...

16. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

My dive from portland Friday has been canned. Hope you fair better. If anyone fancies scimitar are doing the M2 Saturday. 10.30ish ropes off.

17. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Never named a car or a bike - is it a family thing? My daughter/SiL are currently driving Red Five, a hatchback Yaris (five doors) and, you guessed it, painted red.

18. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I renamed my Mondeo the Mundano because it was so dull.

phantomlurker likes this.
  19. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

It's not something we've done with every car - my last was the first I've named, although my parents car I learned to drive in had a name. Usually based on something to do with the numberplate, so the learner was Tom (numberplate was MOT) and my previous car was Oscar because the reg had a couple of O in it.

I think it also depends if the car has a personality (not every car does!)

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My twinset's been fixed! Yay. Another Apeks valve that broke.

Dunno how much it'll cost though... Collecting it just in time for this weekend's dives.