1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

What cheered me today :) got 2 spaces on boat for farnes on the bank holiday weekend (sunday)

Don't know what to expect as we just going as a pair to fill in places.

Kinda nervous if it's just us two on our own and the rest are with a club.

Sure it will all work out and be fine

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The Farnes is a wonderful place to dive. Interesting geology, flora and fauna. Easy diving. But most of all loads of sea dogs. They're soooo cuuuute.

WCMUT... driving home from a superb weekend of diving in Swanage. Nearly an hour on the Sky today with good vis and having a great rummage around inside. Massive boilers and lots of (gun) shells on the Hazlewood. Apanema and Kyarra yesterday. Nice to get some decent deco action so long run times and much use of the P valve:)

Feeling so much better now I've had some English sea juice on my kit.

So sorry for @clique'a mal-du-mare

3. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Not today but what cheered me up over the weekend nearly started as a "what ruined my fucking weekend" thread. Kitting up in the car park ahead of a weekend's diving and my neck seal rips.

Fortunately the guy in the car next to me (not part of my club) had a spare suit that fitted me pretty well and weekend saved. Thank you dive gods :)

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Wow, spare suit and it fitted - have you got a lottery ticket for this week?:whistling: The more I mix with the diving community, the more I appreciate the friendship and goodwill, even from complete strangers.

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Regs and SPG arrived from 4th Element today for my daughter. We shall get them set up tomorrow ready for the weekend.

6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Aparima ? 40ish mtrs ?

Sorry that's aimed at Wibble, re swanage.

7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol, I always carry loads of spare kit with multiple spare sets and suits and often used as a mobile kit store from total strangers
    with the record being someone who turned up at Vobster on a pushbike only to find buddy had decided to can it without telling
    him. Bad enough, but worse when his buddy also had his kit, so we adopted him for the day, provided full kit and took him diving :)

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yes. The Girl From Aparima

Vanny likes this.
  9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Dived Sheringham today, just two of us and my buddy hadn't been there so I led. Crabbed out North with an easterly current, turned and worked our way back in - which seemed much quicker. Found ourselves on sand and 3.1m and put up a rather pathetic SMB (underinflated) and surfaced. Arrived back about 10m away from where we started - more luck than skill, I think, but impressed the buddy. :joyful: Lots of crabs and a few prawns seen - the bigger crabs went into full attack mode if you disturbed the, very scary!
    I'd had trim and weight problems the previous time and had made some adjustments, one being to put most of the weight in a harness that meant that it was lower down. Worked a treat - a bit overweight but, with a maximum depth of 4.1m on the chalk reef, makes it simpler. East Runton tomorrow.

Vanny likes this.
  10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What cheered me up? Being invited on a very low cost Scapa Flow trip. The downside is that it's a working trip and not pleasure diving so i may miss seeing the sights. Still diving is diving and it'll be good prep for when i do it as a pleasure trip.

Now the downside is that i have to drive a 1350mile round trip and pay extortionate ferry fees.

11. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

12. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Will send PM

13. nickb

nickb Active Member

When? Which boat?

14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

24th to 29th of Sept. I don't know which boat we are on but they have used Halton before so possibly the same again

15. nickb

nickb Active Member

That’s the week I return for another stint.

16. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Ghost fishing clearup?

17. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

18. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Sounds interesting that. Always wondered how people got involved. If you ever need more hands might be willing to help.

19. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

You can make contact with them via their website (http://www.ghostfishing.org/uk/) or their Facebook page. As it goes, I know some of the existing members so that's how I got involved

Vanny likes this.
  20. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

North Norfolk day two, East Runton. Wonderful summer day and stomped down the longish ramp with my buddy and hung around for 15 minutes while the other buddy we'd been allocated kitted up and took his SMB back to the car as it was only to be used in emergency (request from RNLI). I did point out that we might have an emergency but it fell on deaf ears.:whistling: By this time, I was sweating like a pig and entry into an almost calm sea was a relief. We swam out to the start of the seaweed and dropped down and did a nice dive for nearly an hour, going the amazing depth of 5.2m (well amazing for the N. Norfolk reef). I used the dry suit for buoyancy under good control and we found our way back to a good point to swim back to the beach. A fair few crabs and a very smart baby lobster. We finished the day with a late lunch at Rocky Bottoms, a fish restaurant about a mile west, followed by a walk from their garden to the cliffs that look down on West Runton beach. Acres of sand with families scattered around - it looked like something out of Enid Blyton (showing my age).
    If you every dive East Runton, most of the beach has large flints to get back through on your return. There is one narrow cleared path in line with the ramp you walk down.