1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Cheered Me Up Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 11, 2009.

1. splinter

splinter Active Member

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Ebay are £40 less than anyone else - think that it's a no-brainer, just need to persuade management.:whistling:

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Better to ask forgiveness than permission...

Andy Stevenson likes this.
  4. nickb

nickb Active Member

Assuming those sensors are reliable and remain readily available

They look similar to Vandagraph R17 but you’d need to ascertain that.

5. splinter

splinter Active Member

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I've bought one from Conrad - off to Malta next month and will start the "always analyse" policy there, after I try it out on the cylinders filled in Ipswich. Management decided that it was a small price to pay if a filling mistake could kill (it's only because she would lose half of my pensions :p)

Big Joe likes this.
  7. Cornish Joss

Cornish Joss New Member

at least you know you are safe from any attempts of dodgy cooking, blessed are the pensions

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

GOX 100 arrived with nerdy instructions that don't tell you how to use it in a practical way. So, I turned it on and used my loaf and it worked - my two cylinders from Ipswich are at 32% and 33%, so I won't die when I dive them on the North Norfolk chalk reef.:singing: It fits neatly into my Muvi hard case with the camera and waterproof case after I've chucked out the various connectors that I don't use. As ever, I've got a small and medium o-ring that I cannot find any use for.:facepalm:

jb2cool and splinter like this.
  9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What cheered me up? I ordered my new drysuit and undersuit today, this will be the first brand new drysuit i've ever had.

Cybes likes this.
  10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Tell us more.:geek:

11. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Ordered a Santi E-Motion+ with a BZ400 undersuit to go with it. Mostly a stock size but getting it altered slightly to fit better (Not made to measure, just slight adjustments).

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

First RHIB dives this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

With your twinset?

Where/what did you dive?

14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Twins were fine, only a small RHIB too. will get even easier with experience.

Just a few dives out of Kimmeridge. They weren't great dives by any stretch of the imagination, but it was good to try and will definitely do so again.

15. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

It also highlighted basic skills/knowledge that I just don't have, like the compressor post on here the other day did.

Could I find a wreck? Try and perform field-repairs to an engine? Navigate? Recover divers? Etc etc.

Lots I need to learn, but a severe lack of time to do it in. Bugger.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For goodness sake don't get a boat -- they make diving look like a really cheap sport!

There's so many courses and options available for boats and handling. BSAC have quite a few, the RYA do others such as PB2 for powerboat handling. Lots of the studying is good winter entertainment, especially navigation and rules.

The main thing for boating is use OPM.

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

WCMUT... Finally got some proper English sea-juice on my dive kit today diving a new mark off of Beachy Head; my first UK sea dive since June. Turned out to be a sunken houseboat upside down at 28 metres, so sod all to see as it looks as if there wasn't much in the way of superstructure. It's fairly new, circa 5 years, so not much growth. Plenty of crabs of all variety crawling around, along with a large blue lobster. Classic south coast "desert" sea bottom, very little plant life.

Looks as if it sank whilst being towed -- wouldn't surprise me if it was just the hull. There was a few tubes around which might have been some tent-like structure.

So one of those dives where on the one hand there was sod all there; boring, mediocre vis, etc.

However, I was happy enough to spend an hour diving on it. Was wonderful to be out of the office. No bloody mobile phone signal. Nice to be diving. Was sunny. And I was the only 'customer' on Dive 125 -- thumbs up to Dave and Sylvia for going out!

On the down side, I used the flat-bottomed twinset, not the round-bottomed one which is still full of trimix and is earmarked to split for sidemounting.

18. splinter

splinter Active Member

Picked up a brand new otter brittanic mk2 on ebay last night for £750. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow in time to get tested out this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Vanny likes this.
  19. splinter

splinter Active Member

Bugger! It was listed as an XL but was massive. Must have been at least XXL, possibly even XXXL! Shame as it was perfect otherwise, pee valve, kubi rings, neo neck, socks, etc.

At least the seller is giving me a refund. Still disappointed though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Had two wonderful dives in Swanage today. Apanema (sp?) and the Kyarra. The vis was great and did about an hour on each. Alas there was a swell which meant that @clique puked for England. Poor sod.

Cracking dives though. And in the sea!

Well chuffed to have finally done some sea diving. Massive sympathy to @clique

JohnL and furryman like this.