1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'd suggest you go as standard as possible. Yes it's snaggy, but be careful and don't snag anything. As you're using backmount, it's obviously a much bigger chuff than the normal tight holes you crawl around in.

2. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Defo would stay away from he in your suit. End up with skin bends. Also the only time your wing would be full is at the surface. So can you not dump air another way. Then the dump your having issues with will be free once you have got the air out of your wing

3. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

That’s a good point re skin bends, but I’ve binned the idea anyway in favour of using my back-up stage with air in it.

The wing was full enough at 6m to make access to the dump very tricky, so I’ve moved away from that idea too - that was with a 5mm neo suit too, whereas I’m hoping to be back in a membrane one soon.

4. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

@Tribal Chestnut I always stick to just compressed air in my suit. That's the worse thing getting your set up right. I been trying a million different things to try and get my stage cylinders to sit perfect with my rebreather. The worse hit is I should hopefully never need them but have to have them just in case.

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

@Tribal Chestnut a full wing at 6? Not sure what Diving your up to but that don’t sound right.

Thinking through a vague red wine haze but a 5mm neo would be more bouyant shallow than membrane.

If your mixy Diving a suit inflate cylinder is kinda normal with air innit.

6. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Not chock full, but pretty plump - enough for it to be a right squeeze to dig the kidney dump string out from under the suit inflate.

That was exactly my point re. the neo suit - in membrane the wing would have even more gas in it.

I had a twinset, two 80s and a 7. All full. Just seeing if I had any chance of conducting a dive like that.

I’ve gone away from that plan now, as I wasn’t at all pleased with it, and will just be using two stages.

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Assuming twinset is 2x12 plus other cylinders my crap maths make that 53 litres of gas. WTF.

YOU NEED A REBREATHER :nurse:

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is your suit inflate tin in the right place? I've never noticed it getting in the way of my dump string. How low is the valve compared with your waist belt?

9. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Now there’s an idea, especially as I have a high RMV.....

10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Set it up so the curve before the neck is just below the waist belt.

It’s a 1.5, so 50% larger than yours. I could go for a smaller bottle and expect that would be ok, but I don’t have time to trial it so won’t bother for now.

I’ll see what next years diving requires and then decide whether I go for a smaller one.

I didn’t buy it as a suit inflate btw, I’ve just tried to re-purpose it.

11. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

@Vanny it might sound like a lot of gas but do not forget on open circuit you have to plan gas so you have spare gas should you or a buddies need it. So you need to be leaving the bottom switching to your stage leaving 70bar reserve in your twins. Then in your stages you need enough gas to get you to the surface with a reserve as well.

On a rebreather it simpler as we dive the unit and our stages need enough gas to get us to the surface if we left the bottom at out maximum bottom time and needed to bail out. Worse bit about a rebreather is bailing out is last resort. It all about problem management first. So them stages are a waste of time. You only really need them for a extremely flooded loop. But you can not dive with out them in case you do need them.

Also I have a 1.5l suit inflator I just got a ali 3litre tested to use a suit inflator and spare gas for my lift bag while I treasure hunting in the channel. I only done that so I not using the helium out my stage for lift bag. Being a tight fucker lol

Vanny likes this.
  12. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Ok. :whistling: , his buddy needs a rebreather as well :geek: I should sell these bloody things , I see opportunities everywhere :watching:

JohnL likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

1.5's - especially aluminium ones - are a lot fatter.

Do you want to borrow my 1litre steel bottle?

14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Thanks, but I'm just going to run with what I've used in the past and know works for now. I can't fit in another dive to set-up my kit so won't be making any changes.

@Vanny No buddy on this one, hence the extra cylinder and a little more helium. Don't get me wrong though, this isn't some big-boy tech. dive, just me being a bit of a fanny.

15. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  16. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

@Vanny rebreather are the best way but it is the cost that can be problem.

17. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I'll have one at some point I'm sure.

Vanny likes this.
  18. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes not cheap. Pre loved units are better in price though and not just AP. That said lately there’s been a few decent inspo’s around £3k.

19. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

That what I paid for mine with loads of extras. I had normal and bov mouthpiece. Suit inflator set up. Four 3 litre cylinders. All the add one on the unit and a unit it top condition with not many dives on it.

20. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

They are expensive off ap as they not mass produced they are made to order