1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I know on there deeper stuff they’ll bin it if there’s not enough numbers 2 weeks out. The thought behind thisis it gives you time to book something else. Frustrating though. Could you not jump on a shuttle at Swanage?

2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

@jps has worked his magic and we’ll still be diving with them it seems, but more likely something in/around the harbour. Never been so don’t know what to expect, but I’m not dissatisfied with that outcome TBH.

jps likes this.
  3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Harbours ok. Better than nothing. If you’ve not dived it the countess of Erne is a nice little dive. Plenty of bits of life and wreck shaped.

jps likes this.
  4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Why should they? What did you expect? The message is an automated message from their booking system.

I saw Ian just now and he mentioned they'd been through their bookings this afternoon and cancelled those trips for the next month that were under-subscribed. They do this to give peole plenty fo time to make other plans, and to cancel accommodation. Four of my next six bookings with them went the same way and some of the remainder look likey to follow :(

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Bung some of your options on here; might rustle up some more interest from some of us?

6. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Because I paid.

Pretty basic really - customer pays for something, you can’t give it to them so you tell them why, not simply that they just can’t have it.

Anyway, an alternative is now sorted.

7. Dave Whitlow

I don't see that makes any difference that you paid. He's told you he can't deliver, in pretty good time, to enable you to find something else or to cancel your accommodation.

Previously, he used to leave it until quite late to cancel, to allow the fine weather divers to book on at the last minute.

This year the bookings are available in advance but cancellations are being done earlier, to enable those who are willing to commit themselves to find alternatives if their bookings are cancelled. The root of the problem is that not enough people are booking diving ahead and too many rely on last minute bookings. This means weekday shuttles are probably no longer a viable business model.

8. Dave Whitlow

I doubt it as this isn't the sort of diving don by most folk on here.

These were my bookings and their current status

25/06/2018 Frigga 62m cancelled
    26/06/2018 waitara 62m cancelled
    27/06/2018 smyrna 57m 1 space

02/07/2018 Illinois 65m cancelled
    03/07/2018 nuremburg 62m 2 spaces
    04/07/2018 meknes 62m cancelled

20/08/2018 girnigoe 60m 5 spaces
    21/08/2018 Illinois 65m 7 spaces
    22/08/2018 unknown 70m full

Due to lack of number sit is looking like three of nine might be available, and that is before the weather gets a vote.

9. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

@Dave Whitlow it was simply the fact that there was no explanation that I found strange - if there isn’t the demand for the dive to go ahead just say so.

I’ve not dived with them before so had no clue as to what was happening.

I don’t know how many divers they need on a boat to cover costs and give them a worthwhile return, but I’d have thought a mid-week trip is rarely full. If you tell divers the trip is likely to be cancelled due to a lack of interest, they can ask around to try and get the numbers up - but if you don’t know, you can’t help.

jps likes this.
  10. Dave Whitlow

Fair point @Tribal Chestnut as I see them regularly and know the score.

It is may be worth pointing this out to them as it could be possible for them to add additional text to the booking system when a dive is cancelled.

The weekday shuttles were once only subject to weather as the main reason for cancellations, and were often quite full.

In recent years, increasing numbers of divers have been leaving it until the last minute to book so the uncertainty has increased. As some folk travel a long way for these outing, it gets most difficult for divers booked on a series of days when the days in the middle lack numbers. Also, for the geographically-challenged, the overhead cost for a single day is very high and I know they factored this in when introducing earlier cancellations. They were promoting some spaces on Facebook but with so many spaces people would soon get bored and stop following them.

With increasing fuel costs, and running costs not going down, the number of divers required to make a trip viable varies quite a lot. A harbour dive needs very few, as distance is and time are minimal, whilst the more distant trips need a pretty full boat. Sadly, it is the offshore trips I want to do with Skin Deep as more local trips are already covered.

jps likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

PM sent.

12. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I’ve just booked onto 17,18,19th September, skindeep. Hopefully a mate or 2 will also book, but the more the merrier.

13. joe90

joe90 Member

Was supposed to be diving today, car broke and no diving.

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

14. Dave Whitlow

Yep, spreading the word is the only way. The alternative is getting enough folk and chartering the boat. That would be Ian's preference as only one person to deal with rather than up to 10 per day.

As an aside, Lord Stamp (not) was my last OC trimix dive, the last outing for me on twin 16s and you'll need a fair few more for that to go. The other two look like being close to having enough numbers.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Go on, give us a clue. Names & depths please.

16. Dave Whitlow

all listed here

17. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes as Dave said. Not much to go on , but that’s the fun !

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

• Mon 17 Sep - 8:00 - Lord Stamp - 57m
    • Tue 18 Sep - 8:00 - Sailing Ship - 64m
    • Wed 19 Sep - 10:30 - HMS Boadicea - 50m
    Has anyone dived them; what are they like?

19. Dave Whitlow

Yes, done them all, at least once. Lord Stamp (ID not proven) is quite flat, sailing ship, previousy 'unknown sailing ship' now identified as Aracan, is a good dive and Boadicea is a very good dive. If conditions allow they are all many times better than any puddle dive and very worthy of a day at sea. Just book the lot and see which deliver!

jps likes this.
  20. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

That’s my logic , they fall on days I can dive so let’s go have a look, can’t be that bad.