1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Did you pay on a credit card?

2. StuartM

StuartM New Member

Actually, yes.

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

4. StuartM

StuartM New Member

Unfortunately not. I bought it in July but due to a shoulder injury I didn't get a chance to use it until October.

5. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

sometimes a hell of a lot more, navigation and bouyancy get them nailed at wraysbury your sorted. Not had much time this year and Im feeling rusty if I had planed more deeper sea dives then I would have made time for a trip ot two.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

My plan to have a dip at NDAC was foiled by the M4 closure, then an attempt to get to Wraysbury failed due to very slow going in the and any incline causing problems.

Daughter is away so I can't even go and play in the snow, therefore I'm going to have to be 'trapped' at home like an OAP.

Tempted to switch on the PlayStation and grab a bottle of whisky....

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thankfully Wraysbury allow solo diving! So I managed to do a 100 minute dive with my three stages (need to adjust the RH belt D-ring as it was too far back to get the fourth stage attached). Very thankful for my heated vest, but even with that I felt cold by the end of the dive in the 6 degree water.

Also managed to get a personal depth record for Wraysbury... 14.7 metres!

It was completely deserted for some reason. Not even a @Tribal Chestnut to be seen! Felt sorry for a group of university divers who's kit van didn't turn up due to the weather.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  8. nickb

nickb Active Member

How are you attempting to attach these 4 stages?

I won't even bother asking why you would want to.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I’m assuming 2 for side mount and 2 for deco gas

10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

As you sure that is a safe assumption?

I did once have a play with sidemount (12s) and two stages and it was clearly the wrong solution!

11. nickb

nickb Active Member

Ah, side mount. I was confused as he used the term 'stage'. I use that for bottles intended for staged decompression.

As a CCR diver, I use 'bailouts' not 'stages'. What do SM divers call their regular gas bottles, as opposed to those required for deco?

Also: isn't wearing bottles on the RH side anathema for someone with DIR tendencies?

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nope. Backmount + 4 stages.

Why: primarily for shits and giggles. Will be diving with three stages on many dives next year; four's for later. The third stage is a bottom stage, the fourth is for the initial deco gas (but I'm getting way ahead of myself with that).

Where: two left, two right -- or two left, one right. Always lean-left, rich-right, but working with the no-tox switching protocols.

Why (again): need to practice with the RH mounted stages as I've been thoroughly DIR with all left up to now, so there's a lot of muscle memory and kit fettling to work out.

There's the protocols to work through as well: OOG to ensure the longhose isn't snagged; switching stages and torch parking (especially switching from LHS to RHS). But mostly it's getting used to them, hanging them, tidying things up with them; swimming with them (you're a lot wider); trimming them (an empty bottom stage gets very floaty and needs trimming down as you're using backgas for the second part of the bottom time - maybe having the bottom stage under the other stage might be better)

Why (ananover reason): when I move to a rebreather, It'll be stages left and right.

Why (a good reason): I have intentions to do the Advanced Trimix course which requires 4 stages.

Why (not): gives me something to do in the winter; better to sort the crap out in a puddle before "going live" and staring down the barrel of the incident pit, aka in the shit.

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok, I didn't see that coming.

No you haven't!

If you have a DIR standpoint, why not 2 on the left and 2 on a leash? that way you can keep most of your procedures intact.

nickb likes this.
  14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yeah, maybe I've furkled around a bit...

Leash... hmmm. Can't comment on that as I've "never been shown" how to use it, nor have I ever seen someone use it (outside of that font of accurate knowledge, youtube), nor am I likely to dive with people who do use a leash regularly.

However, one instructor I've been using does make the point about a balanced rig and why can't you put tins on the right. As I will be moving towards using a box at some later stage, these divers tend to balance their rigs (as there's no longhose). I'm likely to use that instructor for doing my Advanced Trimix.

Probably the worst reason for not using a leash is that I've played with a leash and towing a full ali80 dangling between my legs is an utter embuggerance and out of control. Two seems utter madness! Mounting it (or them) on the RHS means it's properly under control, in trim, balanced and managable.

Donation with tins on the RHS is exactly as normal - reg straight from my gob into the mouth of the donee, they breathe, they live, then release the rest of the hose (as per the standard drills). However there's a bunch of things to sort out; ensuring that the hose can be freed from under my cannister and isn't snagged by the lower stage clips, or making sure that I can release the RH stage.

So not DIR at all, but consistent with a lot of other agencies.

15. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Some folks fix lengths of insulating board to their stages to affect the buoyancy characteristics. Worth a try with a leash?

16. nickb

nickb Active Member

Why?

I and many other CCR divers dive with all bailout on the left.

Which advanced mix courses mandate 4 stages?

If you're considering CCR in the near future (and you are, admit it), you should forget any ideas about doing an OC mix course.

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

3 stages is 'normal' meaning one bottom stage and the two deco gasses. 4 is more for interest; controlling three or four for the hell of it. No intention of 'diving' with 4, just playing with them.

@nickb why dive two left and not one either side?

18. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Indeed they do, and many other dive LLRR. I dve LLRR and I can see both left does make stowing the scooter simpler and also reduces width and drag
    Technical Advanced Wibbling almost certainly does, and probably requires at least one scooter, possibly two.
    I agree. @Wibble , if you considering CCR then CCR training should be your next step. Anything else is just delaying your arrival at a better diving experience.

My route to CCR was via IANTD ART and TDI Normoxic Trimix. With hindsight ,CCR ART would have been a better next step after ART and merely resulted in paying for another course and a season of wasting expensive gas.

19. nickb

nickb Active Member

I've always dived that way and saw no reason to change when I switched from OC to CCR. As Dave says, it makes using the scooter a lot easier. It also makes accessing my right hand pocket easier and I take up a bit less space on the boat. I wouldn't know what to do with a bottle on the right. I don't have a RH waist D-ring and the torch/vest battery would be in the way unless the bottle was slung too low.

All this balance stuff is bollocks. Two AL80s and a nose-clipped AL40 all on the left don't make any difference. Any more bottles and I'd use a leash.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ah, we have choices. @Dave Whitlow dives LLRR, you dive both left (and for good reasons - who wouldn't want to go scootering).

Agree with you about two ali80's left; don't really notice them. With a leash, how do you control the cylinders if they're heavy (sinky) or light (floaty)?

You can blame the sidemounters for filling my tiny head with non-DIR thoughts with all their bungees and streamlining...