1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

?? Did you get a dive Splinter. was it a bit choppy

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

Yeah, ended up being a good day. The weathers been pretty good. It was pretty choppy going out, but the skipper found some shelter around the islands and we had 2 good dives, although the seals didn't come out to play on the second dive. The ride back was even lumpier with some big waves.

We were on Soveriegn divings Serenity 2, which is a good sized catamaran which handled the swell amazingly and the skipper was great, so although one or two folk looked a bit green nobody was too seasick. It was the only boat out today.

Ropes off at 10.30 tomorrow so the skippers going to check the state of the sea while we have breakfast and make the call then. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wibble and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  3. splinter

splinter Active Member

Diving is binned today. Shame as it's a nice day apart from the wind. The wind and the tides are in the wrong directions to get any decent shelter out at the islands .

I'm off for a walk round dunstanburgh castle instead I think.

4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Shame. Go in the pub round the corner to sea houses harbour. Can't remember it's name but it's full of brass bits , v interesting and err good beer.

5. splinter

splinter Active Member

The ship? Might have had a couple of pints in there last night, a nice meal in the Bamburgh castle and a night cap in the links hotel on the way back to the digs.

6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes "the ship" probably rings a bell.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice rooms in The Ship too. Was lucky enough to stay there last year.

8. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Third week of feeling shit. Have binned three diving days so far. Got the shivers now.

To lift my mood, however, I got a parking ticket today from those cunts at RBKC.

9. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I don't think you should refer to Parking Enforcement Officers as cunts.

Cunts are useful...

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Four now binned and none for the near future.

I was starting to make a little progress but fear will be back to square one now.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Wow, you're counting a day in Wraysbury as a dive!

12. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Why would it not count? Diving in Wraysbury requires the same equipment as you might need elsewhere. Diving in Wraysbury offers the opportunity to exercise most of the skills needed elsewhere.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Might technically be a dive, but it's not one that I count as a missed dive!

Still pondering going there tomorrow. My Captain, sitting on my shoulder, is telling me that he CBA and that a lay in would be way more preferable than an earlyish start and drive around the M25 to dive in a cold shallow puddle.

14. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

A missed dive is more commonly due to weather although bewailing a missed dive due to health or equipment issues is still valid.
    A cold shallow puddle well stocked with invasive crayfish :)

I just had a look at Chesil Cove and it is flat calm and I'm wondering if I feel like a climb back up the pebble mountain, or not.

15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I count the North Norfolk reef as a dive and that's only five metres, a bit more variety than just crayfish though. Mind you, if you don't get your timing right, there are tides. Excellent practice for buoyancy as one slip and you are on the surface.

16. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Mightn't be fashionable, but I'd rather be at Wraysbury poking around in the mud, going through skills and drills (I enjoy these - might fade with experience, but I still get pleasure from them) or trying to fill a bag with crayfish, than sitting at home working or sorting out my tax 'cos I'm not allowed to dive.

I might, however, be able to treat myself to a blast on the bike if I get time.

17. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Little one's drysuit leaked again yesterday, this time through the newly repaired wrist seals. Very disappointing.

I've given up on the idea of subjecting her to winter diving in the UK now and will treat her to a trip somewhere warmer early next year. Possibly Lanzarote.

In other news I baptised my new DIR Zone manifold/valves and found the manifold and left post to be bastard stiff. The left one took a number of attempts to shut/open.

Don't these companies have any sort of QC procedure?

First the Apeks ones grinding up after a few months use and now this toss.

Anyway, I dismantled and rebuilt them with a little grease and without using an air tool to tighten them and they seem much better.

18. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

& I forgot to 'connect'.

19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

20. StuartM

StuartM New Member

After one dive in my new drysuit I wound up taking it back to the shop where they discovered a gash in the neoprene neck seal virtually all the way through and about three inches long. They told me they'd send it back to the manufacturer for them to sort out and estimated it should be back in a couple of weeks.

Two weeks later I called them up since I'd had no news and was told that they'd chase it up. I then had a call to say that the manufacturer was just going to replace the suit and the replacement would be here in a week or so.

Called them back last week for the latest news and they couldn't contact the manufacturer, yesterday I had phone call to say that the neck seal was going to be replaced. Today I've had an email to say actually, It's going to be another week before the repair guy can even look at my suit.

To say I was fuming after I read the email was an understatement.