1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm right down this year too. Only 66 dives logged this year. Unlikely that I'll get to 100 this year either.

What's the dive on Sunday? What time, what depth?

A bit miffed that the weather's calmed down overnight:
    Wight:
    • Variable, mainly northwest veering north, 3 or 4, increasing 5 at times.
    • Smooth or slight, occasionally moderate at first.

2. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Netley Abbey, aka Hartburn, previous Start here

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My mistake, that should of course have read Puch VS50 vs FS1E :)

4. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

And presumably, "BSA Bantam"?

5. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Nah, the BSAC Bantam. Took longer to learn on but turned out more rounded riders than the Jonny come lately jap stuff.

phantomlurker and hawk like this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Struth @Doomanic, you look young for your age. The beeezzer Bantam was old when I was a lad...

Them Japs did sort out the bike industry though. Come the late 70's, there weren't any Brit bikes left except for the odd Norton Commando. I loved the Honda CBX but it was the Yammie 250 & 350 which I lusted after.

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

They might have sorted out bikes, but it took a while - every new version of the Honda 50 looked identical but had underlying changes that meant that getting spares was a nightmare. The bantams were bullet proof - I helped out at a RAC/ASU school and most of their bikes were ex Post Office, when telegrams came with a man on a bike - before my time, just.:whistling: Sorry, for younger people, a telegram was a fore-runner to texting.

8. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Had a couple of mates that worked for the PO delivering telegrams and used to meet them
    on the bike after work before heading down to the pub :)

Used to crease me up that they'd turn up on Bantams wearing regulation basin helmets,
    get off replace with full face version and jump on usually a something like a Kawasaki 900 :)

9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Our cat got knocked down by a car today - when I saw the poor bugger he was motionless with his eyes open in a pool of blood. I picked him up to move him off the road and found that he was still alive and we rushed him to the vets. After they stabilised him, we took him to a supervet an hour away and he is busy spending money like water, fortunately mostly the insurance company that we changed to 10 days ago.:facepalm: Their estimate is that his treatment will cost £2,000 - 3,000. The car driver did not stop, which is turning my wife ballistic, leaving him there - a village road that has a pinch-point within 50 yards that is single-track.
    We realised that all four of the cats we have had while we've been here have had rtas, ranging from the losing a couple of teeth, a leg, today's hopefully near-death experience and a fatality (to be fair he was airborne chasing the third prey of the day when he and the car came together). We want to continue to have cats and have decided that we need to move to a less cat-hazardous house.
    So, I need your help. Our daughter and her husband are likely moving to Manchester, we have friends the Lincoln area and we are now looking for a market town that is pleasant to live in and is diving-friendly. All suggestions welcome.:joyful:

10. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Got knocked off the bike by a hit and run driver earlier this year.

People that don't stop are just cunts & I wish all sorts of horrible things upon them.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Sorry for your cat's troubles @JohnL. Ours was skulking around on Tuesday, obviously not well and making odd noises. Took it to the vet and discovered that the poor thing had been attacked by something larger that had bitten her on the backside with about seven puncture wounds of which five needed stitches. She had one of the wounds right in the pencil sharpener hole! Seems fine now although not allowed outside until it's all healed. PetPlan yay!

WAMT... carrying / portaging my dive kit the 1km up and over the hill at Dinas Rock for a dive with @Tribal Chestnut in the silica mine. Carrying my ~45kg twinset I'd almost got to the end and trod on a stone, foot went sideways emitting a distinct crack. Ouch I said and hobbled to the mine, so not broken.

Walked/limped back up to the top of the hill to get the next load (everything else for diving in a cold mine) but it was obvious that the damage was done and the pain wasn't abating. Regreably took the decision that I couldn't dive. A surprisingly difficult decision as there was just the two of us and we'd both stayed at a b&b just for this dive.

Went / limped back down into the mine to fetch the twinset for the difficult return journey, ankle now hurting with each step. Simon kindly taking my tins off me for the steep descent.

The drive home wasn't pleasant. Clutch foot surprisingly necessary for the drive so I stopped and put on a walking boot pulling the laces tight which definitely helped. Arrggh, the traffic was horrid for the 220 mile trip home. Finally got the ice pack on the swelling. Going to be a week of working from home methinks.

Owe @Tribal Chestnut several beers for the lost dive. And a shout out to Mrs Wibble for emptying the car.

12. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Ergh crap day out. Soz !

13. Dave Whitlow

Best not mention the flat calm seas and the 8m viz with sunlight streaming down through the mess of cod and pollack and picking out the crustaceans and brass that was littering the wreck. Oops, I just did. :eek:

JohnL, Vanny and Wibble like this.
  14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

i have a small loft are to the side of my second bedroom and unfortunately there is a bit of a smell in there which i can't track down. I'm slightly worried that something has died in there.

15. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

After this morning's dive in the sea got binned, I arranged to dive with someone else over at NDAC.

Got here before them, waited a bit, kitted up, waited some more, asked where they were and got a response which was 'sorry I forgot'.

Oh well.

On the upside, I've a 2hr+ drive back home to look forward to!

splinter likes this.
  16. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I was treating myself to a GUE standard breakfast this morning to combat my hangover and on the next table were sponging dole scum. Here are some of the highlights of their conversation.
    "I can't afford to get a job, they'd stop paying my rent and I ain't working for free."
    I'm off on holiday soon, there's loads of cheap deals to Spain now the kids are back at school, just got to time it so I don't miss my sign on day."
    "I bought some new shoes, a couple of pairs of jeans and a Ralph Lauren top yesterday, spent 400 quid but I'm worth it."
    Wankers.

Zubar likes this.
  17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Massive sympathies mate.

Says he typing this with my leg up and an ice compress on the ankle Hope it improves before my Oban trip next weekend :nurse:

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is that a stack of maple pancakes with over-easy eggs on English muffins?

19. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Seasoned Pro compared to me this year.... I'm on the grand total of 3 dives this year... all of which were a certain midlands muddy puddle.... not exactly fueling my desire.....

I won't lie... i'm seriously considering selling up and moving on.... it was good while it lasted :( :( :(

20. Dave Whitlow

You need to plan diving and adjust your life to accommodate it. It won't just happen.

If it is any consolation, I've only done 2 puddle dives this year.