1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Bought some of that 'Gear Marker' stuff and it is proper shiiite.

Rubbed off my torches after a handful of dives.

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Many reasons, some I'm not prepared to post on a public forum, but in a nutshell; my current unstable employment situation means I have to be tighter than a Yorkshireman and I am unable to book anything in advance in case it affects my ability to pay my mortgage. A knock effect is that it seems to be very hard to tie up with a reliable buddy and get on a boat at short notice.

JohnL and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  3. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Three of us were heading into a sea cave at Giant's Legs in the Shetlands. The passage had narrowed so we had to be in single file and using flutter kick when, about 10 mins in, my buddy abruptly stopped, went vertical and backed up towards me.

He turned and I asked if he was ok.

His response was a wide-eyed shake of the head and frantic gesturing towards the exit. Checked he was good to go and we turned the dive.

I was really enjoying the dive at that point, but was now quite scared and just mindful of keeping my buddy behind me and of getting the fuck out of there PDQ.

As luck would have it there was a slight current pulling us back into the cave, so we had to kick like bastards to get out.

It was an interesting experience, but not sure if I'd like to repeat it. The rest of the dive around the legs was ok, albeit with somewhat wanky vis.

4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Dom,

Yeah that sounds a bit shite. I'd say the only thing is look to the shuttles. Swanage/portland/eastbourne are the ones that spring to mind. I'm happy to go diving but shift work and family make me More book ahead that last minute.

Hopefully things improve for you , I'll try to post up what we're doing next year when we get round to organising stuff. I expect more Portland stuff but I'd like to get to Newquay at some point and then there's scapa, hmm.

5. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Don't sell up then. Sounds like just a case of giving it time and some organisation.

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

It wasn't as bad as i feared, still a little cool at times but bearable. If i had realised the temerature, i would have bought my deep skin. I think we are getting around 25'C in the cenotes where as it was 29'C in the sea. Some of the cenotes have a halocline though so if you get below that you are in salt water and it's much warmer.

Dos Ojos yesterday, Eden and Tajma Ha today and The Pit coming up on Wednesday (Undecided on what to do thursday).

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you give it a good shake first? Maybe it's separated out and not working as it should?

8. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Yep, & a squidge for good measure.

I'm going to give it another go, but it seems only fit to be used in 'shielded' areas.

9. clique

clique Active Member

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I'd say more but a public forum isn't the right place.

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Good to get it off your chest, whatever it was. :whistling: