1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

On a national level, yes. On a personal level a dose of the 'Rona could be devastating.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's many other diseases and mishaps that are far far more likely to get me than SARS-CoV-2.
    Cancer, dementia, heart problems, stroke, etc. all have "infection" rates orders of magnitudes higher than Covid, and their morbidity and affect on one's life are considerably worse. How many people die from car accidents in a year? Food poisoning, being mugged.... Again, far more likely than Covid.

Surprisingly, I'd like to live my life doing and looking forwards to the things that make life worth living, not cowering in fear of whatever obscure fate beholds for me.

3. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I bumped into a diving acquaintance during my recent Scapa sojourn. He's one of the fittest people I've ever met and he caught COVID19 in the hospital where he works about 6 months ago, right at the start of the epidemic here.

Not only is he super-fit; he's also a lot younger than Wibble. He's still suffering from what has become known as 'long COVID' and has no idea when, or even if, he'll be back to his old self. It's put a huge crimp in his diving "career".

Only a weapons-grade dickhead would make this political.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

If our "leaders" had spent a fraction of the amount spent on furlough on testing everyone regularly - weekly? - this would have been suppressed by now.

I'm far more worried about cancer and other diseases than I am about Covid.

5. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

You can't "catch" any of them for fuck's sake. Your actions, or inactions, could have far reaching implications and not just for you. As could mine, which is why I err on the side of caution; nothing I want to do is worth dying for. Or killing for, for that matter.

Hmm, I see what you did there... :D

6. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

You really are a fucking muppet Wibble. None of those things can be caught from somebody in the queue at the till in Tesco or from somebody on the next seat on a dive boat.

I've recently had a prostate cancer diagnosis which is fortunately, at this stage, very mild. I could well outlive it and it's unlikely to affect whatever diving I'm likely to still be doing in the next 10 for 15 years. Coronavirus could easily kill someone of my age, even with my level of fitness. Even if it didn't, it's likely to stop me diving for a long time.

The Stromness chamber is not able to treat ANYBODY that has had coronavirus, even if completely recovered. Anyone presenting there at the moment who has had the virus would need to go to the mainland and a category one chamber for treatment.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

On a completely different, but alas related note, what are the Scapa boats doing about the new rules? Does it mean that there's a maximum of 6 divers on any boat leaving Stromness?

Have the opportunity to go up there, but would like to know whether it's worth booking or not. @nickb please feel free to PM me.

8. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

The dive boats are still operating. As they all vary, they have differing ways of doing so. AIUI, most/all are still able to take the full number of divers for which they are coded.

I can only speak for MV Huskyan, which has the benefit of operating as a day boat due to the shore-based accommodation. They are still taking up to 12 divers and precautions have been put in place to aid social distancing and cleanliness. These boats are a lot bigger than the day boats operating on the south coast, so there is plenty of space (on deck and in the daytime quarters, at least).

Wibble likes this.
  9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thanks Nick.

What about the shore-based accommodation? How can that cater for more than 6 (don't know if it's a single house or more than one)? Are the restaurants still working?

10. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

That’s a bit more complicated. There are rooms with en-suite bathrooms, which means that more than 6 could be in the same house as long as the shared spaces are used judiciously. Ultimately, that’s up to the customers to figure-out.

The only pub/restaurant open is the Ferry Inn which is operating with restrictions. There is also the Chinese takeaway and a few shops. The Huskyan’s accommodation is self-catered and they are not providing lunch on the boat.

11. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You sad fuck!!!
    In every post you display denial of reality when it doesn't suit your misguided world view. In the case of covid you are tragically wrong and with idiotic posts like this you discard any credibility you might have earned (there were moments).

Is this how you would like to see your future https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...avirus-in-march-six-months-on-im-still-unwell

furryman likes this.
  12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Covid has a wide range of affects from 'non symptomatic' through mild symptoms, severe symptoms and death. It's also age related -- risk doubling every 6 years -- and has a big effect on people with pre-existing illnesses. Seems commonly reported that 'most' get mild symptoms and recover.

13. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Car accidents have a wide range of effects with 'most' resulting in no or mild injuries. Coronavirus has killed more people than 20 years of road traffic accidents, so I assume you favour eliminating traffic rules too?

14. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

And that non-symptomatic person next to you is the one likely to infect you unknowlingly, which leads you to develop a mild cough, which you get over in two weeks ('cos youre a good boy and even though you haven;t been able to get test from SERCO Test and Trace (Thanks Dido), you self isolate (which you can do as you work off a laptop and a VPN).
    But what you don't know is that the inflamation and scarring in your lungs has reduced your vital capacity by twenty percent after six months... which you know nothing about until you get that mild CO2 hit on your 'breather, 'cos you're chuffing through your gas punching against a current to get back to the shot 'cos someone cocked up the tide tables by ten minutes.

I'd rather be on the safe side.