1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. splinter

splinter Active Member

What Tribal Chestnut said ^^

I lost my dad last month, so it's still pretty raw. Being strong for your family is admirable, but its important to take care of yourself too. Helps to talk things through (not something I'm good at, but managed to after a few weeks).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

After 5 years of diving on a 'pay per month' basis I have just decided to jump ship and revert to pay per dive. It was a painful decision made because the collective attitude to Covid-19 seems insufficiently risk adverse and I'd rather not allow my personal risk of infection to be set by the dumbest person on the boat. It is a great shame as it was good to dive things other than the usual wrecks, to drive the boat, to nip out for a food run at short notice, to go fishing, and swimming from the boat.

Vanny likes this.
  3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Very sorry to hear that. :cry:

splinter likes this.
  4. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I'm so sorry to hear your bad news Dom.

As well as looking after your Dad, and Mum and the rest of the family, do take time to look after yourself.

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Got knocked off my bike at Donington on Tuesday morning and seem to have torn some muscles in my back.

Wouldn’t be such a nuisance ordinarily but I can barely bloody move.

It’s taking me about half an hour to get in to bed and an hour to get myself up.

Can’t take a deep breath, can’t yawn, can’t sneeze and god help me if I laugh. I made the mistake of coating my steak in chilli last night and the fumes had me wanting to cough like a C.19 victim, but I couldn’t.

I think the worst bit is I had an awful lot of plans for this summer and loads that I wanted to do with the little one, but the near-term stuff is all binned and then I’m going to have to spend time getting fit again. It wouldn’t be so bad but at fort-one years old and having lost this spring to lockdown I didn’t really want to lose summer too.

Such is life I suppose.

Makes me realise how bloody lucky I am to not suffer from something like this on a long-term basis and to have a very good family around me. I can’t imagine how hellish it would be I was on my own or if this was my normal life. Don’t want to get political as such at the mo, but this really emphasises to me why we need the state & each other to support those in need.

Wibble likes this.
  6. splinter

splinter Active Member

Dangerous things these motorbikes. I've just got back from a ride around Lincolnshire and if it's any consolation, I've got really bad helmet hair

More seriously, I hope you get better soon. Been a frustrating enough year as it is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  7. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

You’ve a Tuono IIRC?

8. Doomanic

Staff Member

I’m beginning to subscribe to the Slipknot way of thinking when it comes to people, especially Brits...

Just landed in Gran Can.

Easy Midlands Airport was the quietest I’ve ever seen it. Vast majority of people observing the mask rule.

Flight, on the other hand, was at about 75% occupancy but most seemed to be wearing those new-fangled masks that are 100% effective when worn only over the chin. Wankers.
    Cabin crew kept requesting for masks to be worn over the intercom but this was ignored and I didn’t see them approach anyone directly.

9. splinter

splinter Active Member

Had one. It got nicked last summer. I've got a Triumph Sprint ST now.

10. splinter

splinter Active Member

And no doubt they will be the first to complain when a second wave hits and we get locked down again. Seen it in a few of the pubs round here. A lot of people don't really give a shit.

Hope you have a good holiday.

11. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

I think a lot of people have the attitude that it hasn't happened to them and as lockdown is being eased it's all over and they're safe. Personally, although I love a drink, I have not been back to the pub and I am still socially distancing. Just wish I had a new date for my replacemnt knee, but I'm not holding my breathe on that one.

12. Doomanic

Staff Member

Quarantined. Arsebiscuits.

13. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Didn't you land before midnight?

14. Doomanic

Staff Member

I’m still in Gran Can, fly home today.

15. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

You're a braver man than I, getting on any plane right now - save maybe for a private jet.

At the start of the year I splashed-out almost £4k for business flights to Truk next November. Unless something incredible happens before then, I'll be waving goodbye to that cash rather than board the plane.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That's crap luck. Have some sympathy.

On another note, please tell us that the holiday's fantastic...

17. Doomanic

Staff Member

The holiday was pretty good, but a long way from the best we've had in recent years. It was good to get a break from all the shit I'm dealing with at home, but the quarantine has really pissed on my chips. My dad's first Radiotherapy treatment is on Wednesday and I now can't go.

I'm sure Covid will get the blame, but the food was sub-par, the drinks tasted strong but failed miserably to do their job (unlike the Erdinger I was drinking down by the beach) and the service at the bar was shocking; 20 minutes or more queuing for each round of drinks. I had a severe sense of humour failure on the first night after queuing for ages to be told it's a 2 drink maximum (4 in our party).

There is a little ray of hope in the the Spanish are petitioning the UK to remove the Islands from the quarantine restriction.

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Was getting in my drysuit yesterday and the silicone neck seal tore and almost simultaneously the wrist seal went! Hundreds of dives and no problems, then like the number nine bus, two rip at the same time. Thankfully I had spares, so 20 mins later could jump in - praise be for Scitec neck seals and Kubi glove rings. Interestingly I'd changed a dry glove the previous day.

Just had a dive booking cancellation because of the new dictat from our fascist overlords hell bent on removing all our freedoms and committing us all to an eternity of penury. Ooh, nanny knows best.

Hope we're in for a nice equinox with calm weather to extend the season.

19. Doomanic

Staff Member

Given the potential to end a diving "career" and your advancing years I would have expected you to be a little more circumspect when it came to the 'Rona.

furryman, Dave Whitlow and nickb like this.
  20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Life’s full of risks with varying likelihood. The havoc and destruction wrought by our clown-in-chief and Gollem will far outweigh that of the virus.

In the words of the Skunk Anansie song "Yes it’s fucking political".