1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The What Annoyed Me Today Thread

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Doomanic, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Waiting for the quarries to open , hopefully soon. Seas too far for day trip for a decent shore dive. Summer hols diverted to Devon / Dorset so hoping things are much easier by then. Longest I’ve been out in years looking forward to a dip.

2. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

too far? Where are you based? I’m about as far as it’s possible to get from sea in England: I’m off to selsey on weds for a shore dive, and there’s a boat operating out of Poole for the week after :)

3. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Essex. 2-3 hours each way isn’t worth it for me. Have fun.

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Chesil Cove was packed this weekend, with a fair few divers getting wet. I gather the wildlife wasn't too plentiful. I'll have a look when there's less people.

We did take the boat out to Lulworth Banks, the other side of the fleet of sewage processing pollution generators (aka cruise ships), and rescued the usual shellfish. It seems I've developed an aversion to groups of people and two on the boat felt odd. I'm not sure I'm ready for a fuller boat. With distancing our boat could manage 4 divers and I suspect the bigger cats can manage six. Things will be quite different for a while and people can expect to pay more for boat dives!

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It’s all wait and see at the moment. I’ve several trips booked in the next month and the one I had was excellent.
    With the distancing stuff, there’s a lot of space and I can see the fees doubling to compensate.

At least we can get out though. Shore dives in the south east are crap!

Hoping to be able to book some other diving abroad soon, as soon as the quarantine bolx goes away.

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

No, it was weird.

7. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Such a shame that your coastline is shite when it comes to diving (I would imagine, given my swimming experiences there and posts such as yours).

I do wonder about Norfolk from time to time, but it’s a slightly longer journey than heading to Eastbourne or similar.

8. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

After the complete clisterfuck of Chesil yesterday. I didn’t feel right coming today.

B

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Surprisingly, after seeing the hordes of beachgoers in Chesil and Bournemouth in the news, it does somewhat drive a horse & cart though the concept of social distancing!

Thankfully the rest of us can give them a miss as there's plenty of other dive locations and boats available.

10. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

You didn't find all the iPhones and gold hoopy ear rings that the boaters had dropped?

Which lake?

11. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

No treasure. :(

Over in Rickmansworth.

NickPicks likes this.
  12. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

EasyJet have just cancelled our out-bound flights to Cyprus but not the in-bound flights. They have offered a free switch to the next available flight. The only available outbound flight is the day before we fly back...
    They have offered a voucher, plus and extra £5 per passenger plus a £50 EasyJet holidays voucher. As I (occasionally) forward plan, in anticipation of just this event we've been looking at EasyJet Holidays to Croatia in October. That little lot would cover most of it, except...

...you can't combine the fucking vouchers, they have to be used separately and the flight voucher can only be used for flights. Fucking useless. Oh well, their loss. Refund time.

Wibble likes this.
  13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

We had a grand lock-down sorting out - four foreign holidays, one UK cottage. One was with Easyjet holidays and another used an Easyjet flight; they said what they were doing, refunded when they said they would - including the flight on the same phone call that was a month later. So, we found them excellent. The other star is Trailfinders, where we have moved a big US trip back a year - they have been consistently helpful through the recent and earlier itinerary changes. The black sheep was TUI, that initially offered a refund within five days, prevaricated for weeks with hour waits on the phone, eventually offering vouchers with a 20% bonus. The words touch and barge pole flashed into my mind and I declined this generous offer for a refund which, to our surprise, arrived. The emails to the CEO and CFO explaining what customer service looked like and how it would affect customer loyalty might have had an effect!

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Liked it not for your pain, but the utter stupidity of EasyJet. Pigging hell, what a bunch of gits!

15. Doomanic

Staff Member

It looks like we might get to Cyprus after all. Flights changed to a later outbound and fingers crossed that the Cypriots reciprocate with the no quarantine needed...

Just need to get a dive in before I go now...

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

And later inbound? Do you get the same duration as planned out there?

17. Doomanic

Staff Member

No, we're only going for a week instead of 10 days now, but we're staying at my parent's place so no worries about accommodation. And my parents aren't going now, so we have the house to ourselves and we don't need a hire car any more either.

18. Doomanic

Staff Member

Back to being annoyed!

I emailed a few dive centres and they all seem to think the UK will be allowed back in from the 1st August.
    Yesterday the FCO removed Cyprus from its essential travel only list with immediate effect. FFS!

19. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Article on BBC News about a newly discovered Mexican cave/mine being 'explored' by twats with open-circuit kit causing massive damage has annoyed me today.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Bubble blowing scumbags.

:wtf:

Vanny likes this.