1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The perils of buying second hand kit....

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Tribal Chestnut, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Time for a quick moan:

Bought a few second hand bits here and there, one of which was a 15l twinset. Thought I’d give the knobs a quick clean as they were a real sod to shutdown, only to find both bent by about 20 degrees.

And to think I was going to use it for a big (for me) and rather committing dive.

At least I can sort it now, but it’s more hassle that I don’t need and don’t have time for.

The second was a wing for my daughter. Aside from it generally being pretty tatty, as you’d probably expect, and needing lots of spacers to tighten the bolts (threads partially knackered at the tensioning point) she dived it for the first time yesterday to find it fucking auto-inflates.

I don’t mind stuff needing a little tlc, if advertised as such, but don’t be a twat and keep big issues quiet.

What makes it worse is that both items were bought from individuals that I trusted and who I’d expect to have been aware of the faults.

If anyone feels the need to respond with any ‘buyer beware bullshit’ please piss off and don’t bother.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Its like an implicit trust has been broken. buying from fleabay is one thing, but when you know the person, you'd expect more honesty.

The autoinflate issue might just need a stripdown and clean out the salt/whatever.

Good you've realised this before relying on it.

3. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

To be fair to the wing guy, he’s offered to send me the cost of a new inflator or to post a spare, which is decent of him & restores some of my faith in humanity.

I’ve got spare valves I can bung on the twinset, but might get the shop to do it as it’s full of moderately expensive gas which they can save for me. Should be less than the labour cost of swapping the valves.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Are the valves completely shagged? If not, maybe a 'simple' dive to use it would make it sting less.

5. speed098

speed098 Member

I have had some great buys from fleabay but I always try and check round online first and this has resulted in my best buys, fleabay is not these days always the best place for a bargain.

The guy offering a replacement inflator shows there are good sellers still, after all things happen and he may not have had an issue with the inflator and packed it up ready to post when sold, it may have sat for a while or even got knocked in post ( depending on how well sellers pack items and far too many seem to think a bit of paper or plastic is fine and do not realise these postal company's throw your parcels around even worse than baggage handlers at the airport ).

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I buy a stupid level of kit from ebay etc. each year and have learned to accept that at least 10% is not as described
    or will need work to be usable.

It's for that reason I rarely pay a premium and work on the premise that it will be duff and be pleasantly surprised that what I paid way less for, turns out to be really good :)

7. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I’d need to replace the little stems that the knobs fix onto, if these can be purchased separately for the valves that are fitted. If not I'll have to use the spare set I have.

Think I’ll take the Tel stance of assuming everything is shit and paying a corresponding price in future.

8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Probably not a good time to mention that I have some ally cylinders to sell... :ninja:

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Size? Test? Stage kit? .... price?

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

you'll need a selection bailouts to go with your CCR :D

11. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I am interested in you don’t mind sending me some details.

In the process of buying another two, but might need more.