1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The front page!!

Discussion in 'Testing Forum' started by minus273degrees, May 14, 2015.

1. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

I'm the same, I've never even seen the front page until this thread, BUT if it helps to get more forum members then its a good thing no?

2. CaptainPugwash

CaptainPugwash Active Member

I suspect the front page will be like the Calendar and the Interactive Map. Both really good ideas... but ultimately not used. I think UK Divers is a small community who seem to know what they want to use the site for - a forum to chat, exchange infromation and ridicule each other.
    If more was needed reckon people would be asking for it.
    If its to attract new people then the content would have to be constantly updated, which is a big job, with no guarantee of success.
    I'm not an ideas man really.. and I don't want you to think I'm knocking this one, but I don't know how we'd attract more people. I think we just need to concentrate on making what we do have, and especialy what IS used, the best we can.

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd concentrate on a detailed description of the fora as an intro to the main forum
    pages.

Eg: Think about what a new diver would want after clicking on a link. For me that
    would be a brief description of a section of the forum that caters to that precisly.
    One where the "help" is less abrasive than what we might get when discussing
    other sections. Think on it as a kind of sticky.

That means having a new main heading of New Diver and just two sections
    Trainiing & Diving and Equipment

Now someone new to the sport gets a better idea of where to go and redirect
    to the exact place. Doesnt stop those going straight to the forum page, but keeps
    the description from cluttering it up.

Expand the idea to all sections and it becomes a decent index of the main that can
    also be used to redirect to specific stickies.

Wibble and Zubar like this.
  4. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Good idea Tel.

5. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

smilie test:geek::yuck::red card::yellow card::devil::bee::turtle:

All good

6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Still can't find this one though. :wacky:

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Fixed the smilies :)

One of the changes made last week is we now drop straight in to the forum when visiting http://ukdivers.com. Before it was ukdivers.com/community. So the front pages have gone.

There's a reasonable argument to re-instate them, but under the forum. I still think there's mileage in pages discussing some very common questions, particularly with respect to diving newbies. The only issue is getting someone to write them.

Zubar likes this.