1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The front page!!

Discussion in 'Testing Forum' started by minus273degrees, May 14, 2015.

1. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

Could well be a Friday topic but its close....

What would people like to see on the front page??

Ideas:
    • Gear reviews
    • Trip Reports
    • Gear advice
    (Posting here so everyone can input)

2. CaptainPugwash

CaptainPugwash Active Member

Not close enough!!
    Which front page??

3. minus273degrees

4. CaptainPugwash

You are very kind!
    I must confess that I've never seen that before. Hmm. It does look a bit tired and out of date.
    I guess like all these things, changing it is the easy part.. it would have to be maintained, else it would be out of date again fairly quickly.

5. minus273degrees

The intention would be maybe you would visit that page more and the forum is embedded in that.

But you are right it does take updates to keep it current, and possible a lot of web design.

The idea would be that for instance trip reports posted as a forum post would also be linked into the articles section

CaptainPugwash likes this.
  6. CaptainPugwash

Its a tough one.

I would question whether UKD actually NEEDS a web front page at all. If it did, then I guess it would've been maintained.
    The fact is the the best current and up to date information is generally found on forums (fora??) and that websites tend to be static.

Some sort of clever system like you suggest might work.. a way perhaps for Mods or Admins to "promote" a thread to an article, with subsequesnt form posts on the same thread going in as comments maybe? Perhaps the same username could allow you to comment on articles as well as post in the forum? I don't think that is stadard functionality though.

I'm up for the experiment, but am not certain it will "stick".

I'd be happy to contribute.

7. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I can count on one hand, (probably 1 finger) the number of times i've ever visited the UKD front webpage.... why? Because i come to UKD for a forum, not a webpage.

What would be the USP of a UKD front webpage? Why will people that are going to a forum want to stop there first? Or if it's to be a separate entity, what will make people choose to visit the page rather than other web based scuba sites?

Unless it's going to be "that" good, to attract people with different content, or more relevant content than they generally find, i'm not sure there is a lot of point in the effort of creating and maintaining it to be honest.

Just my opinion.... I do think there is space in the market for a UK focussed website, but i think it's a Major project both in creation and maintenance to get something to the standard it would need to be, to become a valuable resource.

I think if it's just a "front end" to the forum.... why bother? People visit forums for a reason, they're looking for an interactive experience, not a passive one, which is all the webpage would provide.

CaptainPugwash and becky9 like this.
  8. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Agree with stu x

9. CaptainPugwash

I'm afraid I do too

10. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

If you google UK divers you get taken to the front page.
    It could be static but maybe a bit more punchy to draw new visitors into the forum/community

CaptainPugwash likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I agree with Stu, but think there's also a need for some "static" space where we can hang "content" that's not appropriate to the forum, e.g. the interactive map and maybe some "articles" that would work well for attracting people to the site via search engines.

I think that site conventions have moved quite a long way since the homepage was done ten years ago. As we all know, we don't actually visit that page per-se, preferring to drop straight into the forums.

The current homepage will be re-done at some point - definitely not over the summer! Would be nice to see what other things would be good to hang on there.

12. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I'm disgusted with myself, but I also agree with Stu. :(

Sidemount_Stu likes this.
  13. Sidemount_Stu

Staff Member

It's a slippery slope!

14. Doomanic

Staff Member

It is indeed, I'm scared to know what's next; sidemount or putting my family before diving... :eek:

15. Sidemount_Stu

Staff Member

Maybe both! :facepalm::nailbiting::vomit:

16. Doomanic

Staff Member

Nah, there's no way I'm going to spend all that money on over-priced bondage gear only to give up diving. ;)

becky9 likes this.
  17. Sidemount_Stu

Staff Member

that's the family stuff covered, what about Sidemount? ;)

becky9 likes this.
  18. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Log on, click "New Posts" - job done

19. minus273degrees

The intention isnt for regular members but new people coming to the site.

Please remember you access like that at the moment because of the home page we have, there is no need to look at it that could all change.

Wibble likes this.
  20. Sidemount_Stu

Staff Member

I don't think it's because of the home page, it's because I know I'm looking to access the forum. I don't need or want to stop somewhere on the way!

I frequent several forums and don't stop by a home page for any of them, it's not because they all have poor home pages either.

I don't think I first found any of them via a front Web page either, i've usually found a forum by googling a question and the answer coming up on a forum in a Google search.