1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical Diving: An Introduction by Mark Powell

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by georgedavo, Nov 27, 2018.

1. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Hi All,

It's that time of year again where I'm being pestered by my other half for Christmas present ideas.

I've been looking at buying Technical Diving: An Introduction by Mark Powell for a while now as I'm not a technical diver but I'm quite interested in finding out a bit more about it and this book sounds pretty much spot on for what I'm looking for.

The only issue is that every time I've looked to buy it previously it's been unavailable (link to amazon below). Does anyone know why this is?

I've read another post on good reading materials, but if anyone has any up to date recommendations for someone who wants to find out a bit more about technical diving that would be much appreciated (Deco for Divers is already on the list)

Technical Diving: An Introduction by Mark Powell https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905492316/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NPt.BbYNYTB11

2. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

It was supposedly released back in March - I ordered it then, and its been on back order ever since... I've tried contacting the publishers a couple of times, and had no response...

Might try asking Mark direct...

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you already got the book 'Deco for Divers'? That's a good book and worth looking at as an alternative.

I've pinged Mark a message, will see if he replies.

#3 jb2cool, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    georgedavo likes this.
  4. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Thanks for the replies!

I don't already have deco for Divers, but I've head good things about it so I'll get that one for the detail on deco.

Does it cover all areas of planning for a dive, equipment configurations, diving techniques and best practice etc.?

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

No, Deco for Divers covers how decompression itself works (how we think it works at least) and the thinking behind it as well as some history about how we got to this point. It does not (if I recall correctly) cover planning, techniques or equipment. There are other books that cover some of those but they are often agency specific or dated.

Technical Diving from the bottom up by Kevin Gurr is a good example of this, the information was accurate at one point in time but it's showing its age now. Getting clear of the basics: The fundamentals of technical giving by Jarrod Jablonski is another example of this, it's more up to date but is pretty agency specific or at least specific to one particular approach so it might be telling you things that you don't agree with.

6. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Cheers,

The book is for me, apologies if this wasn't clear in the original post.

I'm quite interested in the planning aspect of technical diving as it's something which I think is good to start bringing into my recreational diving, but like you say it can be quite agency specific.

At this point in time I don't disagree with any concepts, just trying to read as much as I can without the bias and make informed decisions further down the line.

Plus I suppose it's always good to know what people are arguing about on here in agency/approach debates!

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Recommend Deco for Divers. Even if you're "not technical", it's a very interesting read, especially the history.

The Technical Diving book's delayed for some (unknown) reason.

Mark's a very good instructor

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

You might like this;
    http://ukdivers.com/threads/dir-minimum-gas-avoiding-the-oh-crap-moment.9014/

Even that is a bit dated now, there is a different easier way to work it out but the numbers it gives you are more or less the same.

georgedavo likes this.
  9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Since nobody has said it yet, ask for some £££ to put towards doing GUE Fundamentals*

*Other courses are available

10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Mark P recently asked on FB for why people got into technical Diving for a book he was writing. Suggests the book in question isn’t quite ready yet.

11. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Thanks this is exactly the type of thing that I want to start including in my dive planning.

As I say I’m not technical (at the moment) but there’s definitely a lot of wrecks beyond recreational limits that I’m intrigued by.

The way I see it is it’s best to start learning the thought process of tech diving (arguably the thought process that all diving should have) and start applying it to the dives I’m currently doing, then do some formal training and go from there.

12. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Great idea to read further into Diving. I’d be wary of putting too much research , internet or otherwise into dive practice and seek out some training. It’s easy to misinterpret or apply internet training incorrectly. Reading up will hopefully give you some idea of an agency or instructor you want to go with, trainings fun :geek:

Wrecks beyond recreational, you need a rebreather :whistling: , this realisation may take 5-10 years so start saving. Only kinda kidding, enjoy the journey, take nothing and leave only bubbles (until you go ccr).

georgedavo and jb2cool like this.
  13. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

If you can, try to get a rare unsigned copy of Deco for Divers... :D

Do Fundies and then buy a rebreather.

jb2cool likes this.
  14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Mark says it’s in it’s final draft now but should be out in time for Xmas.

NickPicks, georgedavo and Nick Ward like this.
  15. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Brilliant! I'll be asking for th at and Deco for Divers then.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!

16. AndyW

AndyW Member

A few years ago I gave Mark £150 in exchange for a weekends "Intro to Tech" "course". Basically two days spent with him doing a bit of diving in some new kit and talking about that mindset.

Little more expensive than the book, but if you've been a good boy all year it might be worth putting on your list.

Yes, I know.... It's not Fundies. However, it did give me a solid place from which to start down the path. That path briefly included fundies before I saw the light

Wibble, Vanny, jb2cool and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

If you thinking of getting into technical diving that is a good way to start.

If you are serious about diving deeper wrecks then CCR is the tool of choice for most deep wreck divers. You could discuss that with Mark too, as he is a CCR instructor and deep wreck diver.

18. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

In terms of books - has anyone mentioned the iantd book “
    Exploration and Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia (The Tao of Survival Underwater)”?

Hard to find in the UK but an excellent read, I think...

19. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The books not ready yet, and Mark’s currently in Truk.

In terms of the IANTD book I’be got it but gave up on it.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

20. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Not sure why the text came out so big... copy and paste error. Apologies.