1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech 1

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by Pete, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Pete

Pete Banned

Tech 1

I promised a few people I would do a write up of the Tech 1 course that me and two of my buddies have just done. If your hoping for a “we did this drill and f**ked up this way and Rich fixed it this way then sorry. I am sure there are loads of reports like that but this is not one of them) So here goes.

The Team:
    Me, Simon, Rob

Instructor:

We went for Rich Walker.
    I had met Rich a couple of times but never to really talk to although he seemed like a good guy. His diving/Teaching credentials are as with all top Tech instructors from any agency beyond question. After we had booked to do the course me and Simon did a line laying day with Rich. It was there that we knew we had made the right decision. Also rich pm’ed me to compliment me on a rather bad taste joke about a troublemakers sister (I think we had found our level )

The road to doing this course was not always a smooth one .After we set a date and booked hotels and flights the people of Egypt decided that what they most wanted was democracy. Now far be it from me to make cheep jokes at this but come on lads timing could have been better.

The reason we went for Egypt (Or any other warm country) was that we dive all year in this country. We know how to dive in cold water we do it every 2 weeks or more. Yes over Christmas and New Year you can find us freezing our nuts off in some Quarry or other in the north of England. Doing a course in warm waters for us was not about being soft it was about getting value for money. Let’s face it any Tech diver training is not cheep. So as a man once said its all about” bangs for your bucks”
    Above the water the temp was lovely not too hot in your dry suit but warm enough for shorts
    Viz well to be honest it was like diving in gin. No problem seeing each other or Rich. Temperature in the water was spot on not cold so no need for gloves (unless you are a prat and have cut your wrist seals down too much meaning you have to use dry gloves) Not too warm so your sweating in your dry suit. Doing a couple of 2 hour dives was no problem. No hoping the drills will be over soon, no loss of concentration due to the cold.

Accommodation:

What we did and I think that this is by far the smartest move we made was to book all 4 of us on a all inclusive package holiday. This cost about £150 a head over the price of flight only.£150 for 7 breakfasts ,7 evening meals,7 nights bed, drinks were included in this but we did not consume a lot of alcohol but made up for that with coffee and fizzy pop. As Rich was in the same hotel this made going to the dive shop easy as we were all in the same car

Dive Shop:

As I said earlier the uprising had put a lot of people off going to Egypt especially the Russians. By all accounts the place was like a ghost town. Never having been there before it seemed busy to me but I was assured by every one there it was very very quiet .This meant most dive shops were shut including the one we were going to use. Rich used some of his contacts and found us a shop that could supply the equipment we needed (twins, stages, a boat, Trimix).We had little in the way of options so that was that. When we arrive at the dive centre all was good we got our equipment and after a bit of adjustment of the bands on the tanks off we went diving. The band thing seemed to be a regular thing as not a day passed without one of us needing to do some adjustment or other ,not a big problem .The boat we used was good tanks on there every morning fills were very near to spot on mix wise but the fill pressure was a bit low most days .This was not a problem for the first few dives but as we went deeper 20 bar of mix can make a big difference .They were happy to top the tanks up but it would have been better if we did not have the faf first thing in the morning. The loo on the boat stopped working after the first day but not a big problem. It was when we came to pay that we had a problem. I will only tell you the facts you make up your mind what you think was going on. We had told them we were paying with cards and some cash this was ok with all concerned at the start .When we came to pay they wanted cash as the card machine was not working ( they told us ). So off to the bank we went Simon got about £300 out of a HSBC bank but it would not let me withdraw a bean .So after trying another 3 banks we headed back to the dive shop .On the way I found one last bank and low and behold I could draw cash out ,the problem was it would only let me draw £60 a time I could do this over and over until the machine was empty or just fed up and it turned itself off. Back to the shop and they had found a handset for the card reader that worked (wow who would have thought that) so I paid my cash and the balance on my card .Then Simons turn, the odd thing was it never asked him for his pin number but it was getting late we were shattered and wanted a shower, a beer ,and food .Luckily Simon had internet banking and checked his account .Somehow the money he owed had been taken twice. Easily dealt with but it did leave a bad taste in the mouth.

The course:

I have written and deleted this bit so many times it’s a joke .All I can say is Tech 1 has taken me from a so-so diver into a team member ,I would be here for days telling you all the things we learnt .The skills for diving deeper are not all that hard in fact being deep is easier than at 6m skill wise .What is harder is if you get it wrong .And Tech 1 gives you the tools to avoid it going wrong, or if it dose then how to deal with it .By far the best thing the course gives you is a team mentality .That I think is the strongest thing about GUE and GUE style diving .Under water having 2 other people keeping an eye on you, is for me a great relief .As I said I am not going to take every skill apart and analyse what we did wrong and how Rich helped us to fix it .If that’s what you want go do the course it well worth it

Summary:

Rich walker is a nice bloke that never tells you what is wrong without giving you at least a couple of ways to fix it

Being fit makes the class a lot easier

Brush up on your theory work

Always let Rich (Mr unflappable) argue with the taxi drivers its better than watching Corrie

Do the hotel all inclusive thing it makes for a stress free trip (and Rich is there from 6.30am till 11pm talk about getting your moneys worth)

Pete

Vanny, Jenkins and Major Clanger like this.
  2. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice Report. I still rate Tech1 as the most challenging and rewarding courses i have ever taken. Tech 2 next for you lot then :)

3. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Are you guys doing a report on each forum? lol
    Glad you got there in the end :):thumbup:

4. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

Congratulations again and thanks for the write up!

5. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

Well done Pete. I never knew you could write. ;)
    BK

6. Pete

Pete Banned

me mum did it for me

Badknees likes this.
  7. Elvis

Elvis Banned

Is that what your calling Suggsy these days?

8. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

You're such an arse Elvis, I'm the daddy!

9. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

He is you know.

10. Elvis

Elvis Banned

More like the adaptor now you do everything as a threesome.