1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank Valve Etiquette - worth a reminder

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Snapper5, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Snapper5

Snapper5 Member

I was taught to do the first (but won't do so any longer having read this). Recently someone I hadn't dived with before and newly certified did the second to me on a buddy check prior to a night dive. Luckily it was a shallow night dive and I didn't know until I turned the tank off at the end of the dive. It is probably worth a reminder... #weneverstoplearning

https://www.tdisdi.com/tank-valve-etiquette/

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

One of the reasons why only I touch my valves. If someone else turns my gas on or 'checks' my gas I'll check myself immediately after.

3. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Fully open or shut :)

4. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Contrary to the absolute certainty presented in that article, I've had a valve stuck open so hard that I couldn't shut it underwater. This was a valve that was definitely manufactured within the past 5 decades.

As it happens, I didn't need to close it for any other reason that practicing a shutdown on deco but if I had, I'd have had to resort to my manifold valve to save half the remaining gas whilst the rest pissed away.

Until then (and ever since) I had always turned valves back a touch after opening (not a quarter-turn though) and had only started fully opening them after reading a similar article.

Now I'm on a CCR I only open my valves a half-turn or so as I know the difference between righty-tighty and lefty-loosey.

Shoot me!

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I also prefer knocking them back a touch (Maybe a 1/16 of a turn). That way in moments of stress i'll know I've turned it the wrong way as it'll just move and then stop verses not moving when I may think it's a stiff valve and continue trying to turn it the wrong way.

6. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

That's a good idea - I like that :)

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Someone will probably be along in a minute to tell you why it's a bad idea. It's what I do and why I do it though.

Your best bet is to practice with shutdown drills underwater so that it gets drummed into you which way is the right way and then you'll actually never need to rely on this as a double-check.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Same here. And they're the extremely highly regarded Apeks valves. I was on a course and the instructor pinged me a broken hose with his air gun. I just couldn't turn the thing and had to resort to my buddy...

Anyway, I got them serviced after that and they're fine.

As a result I always open them fully and back them off a gnats crotchet, even if I'm doing a flow check. Definitely nowhere near a quarter turn, just enough to make sure they're not tightly ground against the end stop.

And I hate "DiveMasters" "checking" my kit. I know it's well intentioned, but it's my kit and soley my responsibility. Tends to happen less now as I'll dive with my longhose, BP & wing even on a single tank doing a shallow easy dive in the Med -- the typical DM doesn't know what that kit is.

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a kindly "please don't touch my stuff" should suffice. I wouldn't mind them trying to help at the beginning of a trip but once I have made my position clear I'd expect it to stop.

10. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I agree with the 'blasting air' annoyance, but somone managed to jam a blending panel valve fully open at our club the other day. It took me a while to figure out that it wasn't close and thet's where the air was coming from when I openend the fill valve. Not even 1/4 turn needed - just enough to back it off of the stop.

11. Pembrokeshire Falconry

I was specifically told not to blast the cap on my AOW course. It really annoys me When someone does it. Happens on every single trip out! And they are usually sat right next to me! What's the etiquette here? Just Verbal abuse or is it ok to simply punch them in the face? Lol

Never heard of 1/4 turn back before now. Was told to turn it back a tiny fraction so it's not jammed open.

12. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Open all the way, but then unless I'm very sure of them I'll knock them back about 1mm. This is especially abroad where you can get a set with less than ideal valves.

I do this when I flow check before I get into the water. A friends wife at the weekend - she didn't flow check - it turns out someone had filled a crack bottle off her set and closed the isolator. She had to switch to her backup during the dive, fortunately bungeed backup under the chin and no drama.. but... lesson is.... flow check!!! x

Edit: and as much as you tell the feckers to keep their hands off your kit, don't assume they will always take notice x