1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank moving or bcd

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by kevin b, May 26, 2018.

1. kevin b

kevin b Member

Last couple of dives thought my tank was slipping when diving down but when checking tank straps they have not moved. This has only started since I added weight pouches & 4kg to additional tank strap also moved tank a bit higher than normal so wondering if anyone has had this happen.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is the harness loose? What kind of rig is it (BCD, wing)?

3. kevin b

kevin b Member

BCD with weight belt.

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Try these to start with :)

1. Wet the cylinder cam-band webbing as especially in this weather dry doesn't move
    while wet does, meaning you'll get it tighter when wet.
    2. If it doesn't have one make sure it has a rubber backing pad/cam-strap pad. These
    are often removed, which is a mistake as they are there to combat the problem with #1.
    3. Be careful 'hanging' the BCD using the grab handle over the cylinder to position it before
    clamping. The integrated can distort the BC and can make the clamp fix at an angle.

And #4, which is advice based on what I always do when using integrated :)
    1. First off wet the BC camband, then add trim weights and integrated.
    2. Lay the BC face down and slide the cylinder up into the camband (If you have open clip
    type bands place the cylinder on top of the BC).

3. Now using either gas label stickers or if you like, previously drawn marker-pen, position
    the cylinder so the strap is square to the cylinder in the right place.
    4. Pull strap tight making sure it's parallel.
    5. Stand upright and fix regs as normal.

There is no requirement that you must setup the cylinder vertically and with weights it makes
    a lot more sense to do it horizontally where it can be positioned just right and done really tight.

Doing it this way also covers another safety angle in that some weight pouches can be hard
    to fix when the cylinder is on and although rare it has been known that the odd one has come
    out because it was not seated properly. Doing weights first solves this.

If after all this lot it still feels loose, then it's something else.

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What made you think the cylinder was slipping?

Tel’s advice is good to get a good tight strap to prevent the cylinder slipping but you said yours hadn’t moved.

6. kevin b

kevin b Member

1st thought was tank slip as valve hit head when diving down but moved back down when horizontal in water, tank is marked where cam band was & it was still in same place. I have tank protector fitted but no problem with this before adding tank weight pouches & new tank position.
    I will try what Tel suggests on next dive.

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Might be that adding the weight pouches has made the cylinder significantly heavier and therefore made the jacket more prone to moving. Head down it will be trying escape over your shoulders. If it’s this adding a crutch strap might help. As good as some BC’s can fit you’ll do well to stop it moving completely.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

When you're in the water, the cylinder and BCD may 'ride up' a bit especially if the BCD is loosely fitted. Especially on the surface when the BCD is inflated and floating and if you're wearing a weight belt, so heavy.

9. kevin b

kevin b Member

Thanks for input guys.
    I will try Tel's suggestion, if that doesn't work I will get a crotch strap.