1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swimming Pool PSOP's/NOP help

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by David Winter, Apr 12, 2019.

1. David Winter

David Winter New Member

Dear Community,

As a school of 3.5m pool we are welcoming scuba divers to use our pool, having worked on some risk assessments, my mind now casts to our Pool Safety Operating Procedures compromising Normal Operating Procedures.
    As ever I just want to cover all bases to not only support our visiting diving club but also our backs in the case of incidents/accidents. Currently our PSOP states no diving/scuba is to take place and naturally I want to support the sport.

Would anyone on the forum be able to help me with a PSOP that they currently operate on at their pool including any Risk Assessments.

Any comments/questions are appreciated.

Best Regards

David

2. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Hi David

If this is a dive club, are they hiring the whole pool, or are you providing lifeguard cover? If they are providing their own safety cover, then the onus could be passed to them to carry out their own risk assessment and provide their own PSOP. I am involved with a lifeguard club that hires the whole of a council pool and we have our own PSOP, as does a swimming club that has the session before us.

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

My BSAC club night is in a school pool; we provide the safety cover. Our Diving Officer has offered to dig out the club and school papers - it will take her a week or so as they are not at hand. PM me with an email address and I'll send them once received.

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If it's a Scuba Club it all depends who they are affiliated too.

If it's amateur it's usually BSAC - British Sub Aqua Club (governing body of the sport in the UK),
    SAA - Sub-Aqua Association or ScotSAC - Scottish Sub-Aqua Club

All these have defined safety practice with RA procedures / protocols and more importantly third-party insurance.
    Although you need to be a member to get in the main site, here's the BSAC pool RA guidelines.
    https://www.bsac.com/document/risk-assessment-guidelines-for-swimming-pools/

So the RA is easy, Insurance should be a given which leaves the issue of pool lifeguard/rescue.

Diving involves the use of compressed gases and pool lifeguards often don't have experience of rescue
    of a diver in full kit, nor any knowledge of different forms of barotrauma and it's treatment. It's for this reason
    that as part of the RA a rescue diver should be on standby poolside at all times. This replaces the on-site
    pool lifeguard in all respects other than to act as a local liaison for emergency services.

Clubs linked to dive centers or professional organisations have exactly the same types of protocols as amateurs,
    however unlike a club where all members have insurance it may well be that only the staff have liability insurance
    etc. and this can be an issue as liability would fall to the pool owners.

Same applies to a non - affiliated club where the term club is just a name and nothing can be assumed in relation
    to any standards, be that insurance or liability etc

Third-party insurance is pretty cheap and can be gained by the individual, so being outside of a club on the lines
    of BSAC or SAA doesn't mean a diver can't have the same cover.

IMO the first action you need to do is define what type of club wants to use the pool.
    If it's BSAC or SAA etc. then it's pretty easy, if professional linked or non-affiliated still ok, but needs to look into it
    a bit deeper to ensure the same protocols / insurance is sorted as chances are it's more likely to be a loose
    collection of individuals then a club in the true sense.

Once that's done it's a simple academic exercise of who is liable if the brown stuff hits and if it's you
    then what needs to happen to push this back onto the club.

#4 Tel, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. David Winter

David Winter New Member

Thanks for your responses, we are wholly responsible for the safety of the pool and hirer's present their risk assessment beforehand. Any material is gratefully received.