1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swanage wrecks

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by phantomlurker, Aug 19, 2018.

1. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Evening all!
    Planning on a day in Swanage later this week, just wondered what everyone's favourite wrecks are?
    I've done the Kyarra a couple of times, the Venezuala, M2, and the Aeolian Sky.

Looking at 35m max, something new prefereably. Thinking maybe the Firth Fisher?

Cheers
    Ian

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

You wouldn’t do the M2 out of Swanage. You’ve already names the wrecks i’ve done from there though

3. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Nah, M2 was from Portland, just thought i'd mention it anyway!

ta

4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Think I’ve dived a wreck called the Bourgny or something like that. Was very nice. Did it with Bryan and Martin (kyarra.com) so it might be worth looking at their mapping section on the website. The carantan is near the kyarra , ok but I’d rather do the kyarra.

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Borgny over near the Isle of Wight. I was booked onto a trip there just a few weeks ago but it got blown out. Never done it but want to try some other wrecks out of Swanage.

6. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I'm diving the Borgny from Swanage in a couple of weeks. I have also dived it from Lymington.

7. snowman

snowman Active Member

Vis is often nicer on the Carentan than the Kyarra (not sure why as they're so close together), but it's a much smaller wreck.

It's easier to orientate yourself on the Carentan and work out what you're looking at, even in poor light/vis - Often the Kyarra is just so much metal and cable and impossible to make sense of, although in good vis, it's a lovely dive.

I've only had that once myself, though...

M

8. sam51

sam51 Member

why dive uk, unless you live on the coast, either get blown out,
    or the vis is non existent.

9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Generally, diving in the UK is possible much of the year.

Why not dive in the country you live in?

10. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Because it's great diving!

I've not been blown out once this year, and had vis of between 5 and 15m. I've seen wrecks, pink sea fans, sharks and rays.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  11. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

Thanks for the info on the Carentan. I still haven't had a chance to dive that as we seem to end up on the Kyarra everytime we go near. I'd be interested in checking out the Clan McVey too, and can't wait to get back to Aeolian Sky. Did the Bennedijk out of Portland last week, and other than a fairly "chewy" swell topside, that was a cracking dive too, recommend it.

Snowman - I get what you mean about the Kyarra - tbh other than the boilers I don't really recognise that much when i'm down there. Had some nice deco dives down there this year though, with some cracking vis.

sam51 - Vis this year has been excellent - have had 10m+ regularly and more than 15m on several occasions. Only one sea dive blown out, and at least 20 achieved.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  12. sam51

sam51 Member

last time 4 hour drive to poole , august, £70 fuel , got there sat, no diving sunday too windy.
    came home sat night, last year dived some famus wrecks , vis at end of my nose, rearly,
    if you are lucky to live on south coast, down to cornwall, i agree diving can be great,
    for me a 3 hour min drive,.cornwall 8 hours and a lot of expense, plus other expenses.
    ie too make it worth it 4 day trip.
    i can be at the medes island for eg. or any spanish island in between 3 to 4 hours
    at the same cost, great vis, lots to see , and an all round win, win,
    im not kocking uk diving per sae, i know it can be great, but every thing revolves
    around tides and vis , i dive for pleasure, and to see things, sadly the uk
    is too hit and miss for me.

NickPicks likes this.
  13. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

I booked two dives in Italy a few weeks back. That got blown out after sitting for the pick up for an hour