1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swanage Pier

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Griffalo, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

We’re due to go diving in Swanage on the 7th April but I’ve been told there is a lot of repair work going on at the pier. Has anyone been there recently? I was wondering, does the work restrict parking on the pier and what has it done to diving around the pier?

Thanks

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Email from Swanage Boat Charters a week ago.
    Swanage Pier – Parking and diving.

We have had a lot of questions over the last few weeks regarding what is happening with the work being undertaken on Swanage pier and how it is going to affect divers. We have had meetings with the pier and we can now hopefully put your mind to rest.

As you may be aware Swanage pier has received a Heritage lottery grant to improve and restore the pier. The work involves the replacement of 41 piles and the restoration of large timber sections, also modifications to Marine villas. Work has already begun and is due to be completed by August.

While piling is in progress, Monday to Friday diving under the pier will not be permitted.
    Diving under the pier will still be available during the weekend, but we would suggest either checking the pier website or contacting them directly on 01929 425806 before making your journey. Piling has to be completed before mid-June as this is the start of the sea horse breeding season.

Parking will still be available although slightly restricted. Every effort will be made by the pier to provide additional parking where possible. We will still be operating from our usual place on the lower boat deck.

Griffalo likes this.
  3. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Thanks John, have you been there recently? I’ve seen that statement, But was was wondering what it is actually like in practice. The parking isn’t exactly plentiful at the best of times.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

No, never been there but I'm on their circulation for some reason.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What's the website?

Usual rule for Swanage is get there sodding early. Normally opens at 0700 -- unless there's an earlier dive in which case they'll unlock it only for the people on that earlier dive, then re-lock it again. In the summer a queue will build up from 0630 and in peak season you'll be lucky to get a parking spot if you arrive after 0700.

If you don't get one then I think you can drive in and drop kit off, but you'll need to park ~400 metres away in the public car park.

There's about 20 parking spaces on the pier. I guess the building work will steal some of these.

6. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member