1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suunto Transmitter Pairing

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Mosta Dome, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Mosta Dome

Mosta Dome Beer is proof that God loves us.

I have always thought this to be a pain.............and very disapointing to decend and see my computer did not pair with the transmitter or timed out just before jumping in.

So a new Suunto may be on my birthday list as these remain paired for the duration of the battery life I understand. Do you know if the transmitters have also be upgraded or will my old Suunto transmitter remain paired with the new Suunto compter range?

2. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

I hope they've changed the way they assign channels in the new models if that's the case. My dive buddy and I had to re-pair our units a unmber of times during pre-dive check. The issue only came to light when we dived one day and realised that our D9s had paired with each others transmitters on the boat so we were watching each others cylinder pressures!

3. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Can I ask what the problem is with a simple gauge. Knowing ones gas is of paramount importance as far as I'm concerned and the simpler the better. Good luck with finding the solution.

Doomanic and Jenkins like this.
  4. DaveS

None at all Suggsy.
    I have a gauge as well but I also like the fact that I have all the info on my wrist in 1 place so that I can see everything in one hit.

Jenkins likes this.
  5. SrLagarto

SrLagarto DIR-ish DIFF Diver... and, Honorary Idjit ;)

Have to admit... I'd upgrade to a wireless air-integrated wrist-computer for that very reason, if I had the spare dosh. I'd keep my standard SPG, though - so I'd have a backup of all the important info in the event that one or the other failed... that one place shouldn't be the only place, IMHO.

Hopefully, by the time I can afford it, such things will be more reliable than they seem to be currently!

6. 290315

290315 New Member

The Icon HD is/has been 100% reliable for me. Paired once when I bought it and it has never dropped the sync, fantastic bit of kit. Shows SAC dynamically, just as accurate as a SPG. Love having all the info on a nice large screen on my wrist :)

7. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Fair enough. I've not felt the need to know everything instantly but enjoy the toy ;)

8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

That's because no one else has bought one...

9. Mosta Dome

Mosta Dome Beer is proof that God loves us.

I also have a single gauge and would not dive without one........others do I believe.

10. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Playing devils advocate, if you dive with a single gauge as well as, are you actually increasing your workload and failure points?
    Either way, it'd be boring if we all dived the same.

11. 290315

290315 New Member

Dom, there were four on our boat alone in January, you cock!

12. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Four on the boat? Did one of you fart before ropes off?

13. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I have never dived with wireless integration, BUT my take on it is:
    1. The transmitter sticks out a bit and runs the risk of being knocked off. Now, a normal hose has a restrictor in it, so a break won't lead to rapid total gas loss. Does a transmitter have a similar restrictor, and if it is knocked off, what side of the restrictor does the break happen? would a little knock against a cave wall or a wreck leave you with a gaping hole where an HP port should be?

2. A "normal" SPG will fail safe... ie it works or it doesn't (ignoring increasing errors at low pressure levels. If it breaks half-way through a dive, then you can abort and surface safely (because you have been monitoring your gas haven't you?)

3. BUT of course a "normal" SPG may also stick... you look at it and you have 120 bar, five minutes later you look at it again and you still have 120bar... at which point you know something's up, and you surface safely ('cos you planned your dive and gas accordingly, so you know you will have plenty to go round)

4. Is there a failure mode for a wireless unit where it starts to misread completely, without suggesting that it has failed, and giving you a false sense of security as to how much gas you have left? I would certainly worry about the possibility of losing contact with your "own" transmitter, and randomly pairing with somebody else's, given my gas-chuffing characteristics.

Mosta Dome likes this.
  14. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

I think Parker Turner coined the exact phrase. You'll have to google for it though :p

15. 290315

290315 New Member

1. The transmitter does not stick out, it sits neatly facing downwards. If the transmitter is going to take a knock then so is your first stage and valve, they sit above the transmitter so they take the it first. The internal connection is metal and has the same type of spigot as a SPG. So no, no gaping hole. You can even mount it on a short HP hose and clip it to the wing where you'd clip a torch battery canister if you want.

2. Simple, check your gas regularly. There's no difference between a regular SPG failing and an air transmitter, you can either see what you've got left or you can't, but as you say due to your regular checks and planning you know approximately what you have left :)

3. IMHO there are less failure points with wireless, no hose that can burst, only one o-ring, no mechanical parts to stick or break. You are removing a snag hazard and your kit feels tidier and more streamlined That said you are introducing batteries into the equation!

4. The transmitter is constantly calibrating, measuring air flow, they have some excellent technology in them. For my first dozen or so dives I admit I was sceptical as regards accuracy, I used to double check with manual gauges before and after each dive the cylinder levels until I was happy. The transmitter was spot on every time :)
    The latest transmitters are encrypted and will only pair with a computer when placed in the pairing mode on both units. They can't randomly pair with other transmitters as they are locked on to an individual computer, if the encryption keys don't match the computer won't display the readings. I was in a boat in Jan and there were 4 Icon HD Air on board, all in close proximity for a week, not once did we experience pairing issues, never had a dropped connection ;)

Obviously I can and am only commenting on the Icon HD as that's what I've got and have experience with, I'm glad I switched and won't go back to the traditional gauge (though I do keep one in my bag, just in case)

Hope this is useful :)

Mosta Dome and furryman like this.
  16. SrLagarto

I know what you're saying, but - to be fair - that kinda depends on your first-stage. I had a customer who insisted on using their transmitter on one of our 'turretted' rental first-stages... their wriggling around during kitting up with the LP hoses pulled too tight didn't work out too well for the transmitter. However, if I was to attach one on my Apeks FST, your comment would be spot-on. ;)

17. 290315

290315 New Member

Yes and as I said I can only comment on what I've got and used ;)

18. SrLagarto

Gotcha - sorry, bud... I'm all over the place tonight - there's so much happening on UKD this evening, I'm flitting from post to post trying to keep up! ;)

19. sjwhite26

sjwhite26 Member

The new Suuntos eg D6i now pair with the transmitter for (battery) life, i think. The only reason to change would be if your buddy has the same pairing number or say if someone is very close to you while setting up and while diving and has the same number, in this case you can choose another number.

My new D6i paired on the first day of my week liveaboad and stayed paired all week and is to date, no need to re-pair. Every time I switched on my computer it was linked and it never dropped, despite the high number of Suuntos on board. The older makes I think had an issue, the new ones seem much better.

Mosta Dome likes this.
  20. DaveS

That's good news.
    I've asked a mate who's a Suunto dealer to get some information on the new pairing arrangements. If and when I receive anything I'll post here. The duplicate pairings were a real issue when I first bought mine.