1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suunto depth sensor - finally struck by the curse

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Alex Denny, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I have had various suunto computers for ages and currently use two Helo2 computers. I have read several times in the past about problems with the sensors and about a product recall in the states, but never had an issue in the past.

I am currently on a club trip to Normandy in France and after our second dive a low battery warning came up on one of my computers. Not to worry, I thought, as I have an official battery replacement kit.

Sadly though, after a clean and dry off, and a change of battery, it now thinks I am at 25m while on the surface. I didn't buy the computer new in the states so I don't believe the product recall applies. Is there a fix I can do myself? If not, can/will suunto fix it? Or is it a bin job. :(

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I had the same problem on a Zoop that I'd bought second-hand (although unused in its box). I could have sent it back to Suunto, but even getting them to look at it seemed expensive, so it just felt like throwing good money after bad, so I binned it.

Alex Denny likes this.
  3. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

I had a similar problem with a Viper Air. Returned to LDS and"checked" by them. They said it was working fine. Continued to have problems and wouldn't dive without the wife's Zoop as backup. Sent to Suunto direct. Returned with new battery and strap and a report stating that it was OK. Then read about the US decision, realised that I would get nowhere with Suunto (UK) , binned it and I am currently diving an Aqua Lung i770r. I am an old recreational diver and it does everything I need and more. YMMV.

Alex Denny likes this.