1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suunto D9tx battery replacement - DIY?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Wibble, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Has anyone replaced a battery on the D9 or similar? SimplyScuba are quoting £60. Just wondering if it's feasible to change it myself? I suppose the fee is security for a guaranteed job, but seems quite steep.

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Well, the bits are on eBay for under a tenner but you have to ask yourself two questions;
    1. Can I open it without damaging it?
    2. Can I be sure I reassembled it correctly and it's watertight?
    Simply Scuba's price should include a pressure test which will show as a deep dive on the computer.

A decent jewellers could probably do it for a lot less, but their pressure test, if they do one, probably won't be as deep.

Have you asked if NDAC can do it? It's a good excuse to rob SWMBO's car and head over for another dive.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hmm, put that way it's worth it!

(Does he mean Simply or NDAC:)

4. 290315

290315 New Member

I'd do it myself then tell the missus I'm getting it done at NDAC........ ;)

Doomanic likes this.
  5. 290315

290315 New Member

Post a pic of the back case, it'll be a very easy and straightforward job.

6. Doomanic

Staff Member

It may need a speshul tool to get the back off; the old D9 certainly does.

7. 290315

290315 New Member

Yeah like all of my watches need special tools. Rado for example charge £175 for a new battery, I bought a pack of 10 identical ones and watch toolkit for less than a tenner and did it myself. As long as the seal is seated correctly and clean the battery will be easy to do.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm sure I could have done it. However, I've sent the thing off 'cos I'd like the warranty.

But, good news... I'm now first on the list for next X-Deep Black that comes in to Aquanauts! I've only been waiting since June:) I got to use one over the weekend - how wonderful that one can see the screen whilst underwater. Unlike the D9tx which is, to be blunt, totally sodding useless for UK diving.

Oh, and whilst whinging about Suunto... The way that the battery warning works is cack: go to Dive mode and crash, the whole thing is bricked. If it weren't for Doom & Becs giving me a lend of their bottom timers, I'd not been able to dive.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I got the computer back from Simply Scuba. Three days in total, pretty good going considering that includes the time to send it both ways.

It shows a dive to 30 metres with a rapid ascent alarm, so has been pressure tested.

10. Doomanic

Staff Member

Nah, I think was our first dive last weekend... :eek:

Zubar likes this.
  11. 290315

290315 New Member

Ooh sounds interesting, we talking all out CF or just a heir to Daves crown?!

12. Doomanic

Staff Member

Nah, nothing interesting. Just a free ascent in zero viz thanks to the run-off from the torrential rain. No fizzing.

Besides, you'd need a couple of scooters each to even get close to Dave's record. :D

13. 290315

290315 New Member

Only bloke I know that needs a parachute after surfacing!

Doomanic likes this.